Who Else Has a Smoker?

I use mainly hickory because I am a master at smoking pork butts :) Also use Mesquite , Apple and Cherry on occasion.

When it gets cold again I am going to try cold smoking salmon
What wood are you planning to use for the salmon? I haven’t smoked much salmon but I liked the way it came out with alder.

Last edited:
Does anyone like to dry brine? I’ve been doing that the night before, then I add the rub before it goes into the smoker.

I can honestly say as a kid that grew up working in BBQ that you can make a more consistent quality product with an electric smoker and I have probably cooked more BBQ in a week than most has seen in their life. With that said...
1-the electric is digital, set the temp and go do anything you want until it's done
2- The electric lets you determine how much smoke you want in the meat.

Now I have fired a many of pits for 10 hours over open coals collected from the fire pit of hickory and thats fine and good if you want to do that for 10 hours but for me electric is the way to go.

It's hard to mess up pork butts or shoulders just set it at 275 - 300 and cook it to an internal temp of 205 and you can spin a fork in it and make perfect Lexington Style BBQ

The heat is consistent, and you don't burn any meat.

I like my stick burning, and being in Texas pork is almost a bad word here for BBQ. Just gotta give a little grief. lol

Oh boy, that question is like asking someone their favorite beer or what kind of tires they like, lots of different answers. If you are going to use it occasionally, I would look at an electric or propane smoker because you can control the temperature easily. If looking for one of those and want to use it year round when it's cold, look for one that has an insulated smoker box, it will help to keep the temps up. The pellet grills seem to do a good job, I have no first hand knowledge, and can be used as a grill all the time as well. They are pretty pricey though.

Traeger, Bradley, less expensive is Charbroil. I have a Big Chief, a Brinkman, 2 Traeger’s and a Charbroil smoker. Look online under Smoker’s, there’s some newer brands. Read the reviews. See what the warranties are, also where they’re built. Traeger is now made in China. Don’t like that. Both of mine are older models built here. Experiment with homemade rubs. Smoking is low and slow. Good luck.

Also experiment with different wood pellets. Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory are what I use. I also grill with my trusty Weber, using Texas Mesquite wood. No charcoal. Wood burns hotter and the coals last longer.

There’s good advice about outside temperature. I have a corner in my garage. I live up off the Columbia River gorge, lot’s of wind. I smoke just inside the garage. Weather doesn’t bother me there. Yep, I smoke with snow, rain and wind. Nothing like taking a nice Tri Tip roast into work. Also get a good thermometer. I have a couple, digital. I also have a after market control for temperature. It’s more accurate than Traeger’s.

I would like to buy a smoker and make some good pulled pork. Any ideas what to buy ?
master bilt electric smoker... if you like to set it and forget it
giphy.gif

I would like to buy a smoker and make some good pulled pork. Any ideas what to buy ?
Try a smoke Hollow cabinet smoker.I have one ,I do venison sausage, pork butts and ribs and of coarse my favorite brisket. Barbecue purists Don’t like propane models ,I have had both electric and Propane.For around 300.00 bucks you can be a pit master in your own back yard.

I have a Oklahoma Joe Bandera Smoker. This was my first real smoker, I've learned a lot on it, had it for 15 years I love it. I like being a stick burner some do some don't.