Yellow | Who Is Going To Drive Trucks In The Future?

Triplex

Experienced stalker
PREMIUM
Credits
"If teenagers are any guide, Americans’ love affair with the automobile may no longer be something car makers can bank on.

The percentage of teens with a driver’s license has tumbled in the last few decades and more young people are delaying purchasing their first car—if buying one at all, say analysts, generational experts and car industry executives. About a quarter of 16-year-olds had a driver’s license in 2017, a sharp decline from nearly half in 1983, according to an analysis of licensing data by transportation researcher Michael Sivak."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/driving-the-kids-are-so-over-it-11555732810

The need and value of a driver's license is something that has been diminished by demographic changes. CDL holders will increasingly be immigrants. The pay and benefits are no longer worth the hardship that a career in the industry require. Perhaps sometime in the future, this will be recognized. However, rather than address those issues, the push now is to recruit 18 to 21 year-olds. Who do not have any concept of the requirements of being a truck driver.

"If teenagers are any guide, Americans’ love affair with the automobile may no longer be something car makers can bank on.

The percentage of teens with a driver’s license has tumbled in the last few decades and more young people are delaying purchasing their first car—if buying one at all, say analysts, generational experts and car industry executives. About a quarter of 16-year-olds had a driver’s license in 2017, a sharp decline from nearly half in 1983, according to an analysis of licensing data by transportation researcher Michael Sivak."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/driving-the-kids-are-so-over-it-11555732810
I would also say that a percentage of would be teen drivers,are like many older ones who enroll in truck driving schools. Both age groups lack the ability to pass required written and driving skills tests to obtain a license....

albag said:
However, rather than address those issues, the push now is to recruit 18 to 21 year-olds. Who do not have any concept of the requirements of being a truck driver.
It's a different world now. I grew up in a home where my Dad owned a couple trucks. In High School I made deliveries on weekends, and plowed snow leased to the State of Pa. Drove a triaxle from age 17-20. Age 20, bought my own triaxle. By age 22, i owned and drove my own NEW Transtar tractor, Coast to Coast...

It's a different world now. I grew up in a home where my Dad owned a couple trucks. In High School I made deliveries on weekends, and plowed snow leased to the State of Pa. Drove a triaxle from age 17-20. Age 20, bought my own triaxle. By age 22, i owned and drove my own NEW Transtar tractor, Coast to Coast...

I honestly believe we have been lucky enough to drive through a special period. Still significant two lane major routes remaining, with a semi complete interstate freeway system. Small time truck stops interspersed with plenty of unique Mom & Pop shops. People helped each other when broke down on the side of the road. CB chatter was fun and helpful and all night AM radio ruled the night.

“Time passes on, everything changes.”

I honestly believe we have been lucky enough to drive through a special period. Still significant two lane major routes remaining, with a semi complete interstate freeway system. Small time truck stops interspersed with plenty of unique Mom & Pop shops. People helped each other when broke down on the side of the road. CB chatter was fun and helpful and all night AM radio ruled the night.

I grew up around the industry , riding with my dad when that wasn't a very common thing. Started driving myself and I'm coming towards the end of my career. I remember when I started driving my dad was mad at me because "things had changed so much for the worse" from his heydays. Now my oldest son is making noises about driving and I find myself telling him the same thing dad used to tell me, like how they've taken all the fun out of trucking. I'm not as old as some of these guys are on here but old enough to agree that I think we are a dying breed. Circle of life thing I guess.

CB chatter was fun and helpful and all night AM radio ruled the night.
:smilie93c peelout::smilies 19296:

We can never forget the guys that drove before us! Check out this great video!

Check out that scenery!
:shift:

Copy that....

One thing we were not lucky with was hard nose traffic cops

OD driver here, Learned to drive a autocar hot oil tanker in the gravel pit in my home town in Cali when I was around 12, with a 5 and 3 and oh my gosh 220 cummins. Learned to drive that before driving a car. Can't agree more with you guys, our times in trucking were great and something the drivers today will never know. Used to enjoy the ol CB and would get lucky at night and talk to my Uncle who drove for Roadway on I 5 in Cali. Use to laugh at me and tell guys to put on their sunglasses at night cuz his nephew with the chrome and lights was on the horizon. Sure glad we had what we had then because it will never be like that again. OH yea, AM radio did rule the night..Good luck with your contract, nothing but the best to all of you and your families.

Reminds me of yesteryear . These could be candidates for the future . :couch:
HYAEmA2.jpg

Now, you're talking about the real trucking days.