XPO | Who Is Running Linehaul?

Life has taught me one of many lessons and here's one of them. All things should be consumed or applied in moderation and seniority is no different. A few years ago, when we were hiring drivers I'd see quite a few of them leave after just 18 months or so because of one common complaint, home time. It wasn't that they working too many hours, it was time frame of the work. Many of the younger jr. guys come into work after their kids are off to school and don't get home until their kids are in bed or nearly in bed. I am not proposing a solution, but I do believe this is where seniority does more harm than good.
Valid points.

Scotch , what you did is what XPO has conditioned employees to do ( no offense is meant by this ) - point out a problem and offer not propose a solution.

Out of all the companies around XPO you see employee feedback and attempts at trying new ideas that start from the bottom. With XPO , ideas and communication ( not so much with the communication ) come from one direction. This isn't a complaint but an observation.

P.S. - Do you think the heavy , heavy , heavy reliance on technology ( currently XPO has a budget of $600 million a year for I.T. , up from $500 million a year ) will come back to bite XPO in the butt ? Or will it pay off in the future?

Life has taught me one of many lessons and here's one of them. All things should be consumed or applied in moderation and seniority is no different. A few years ago, when we were hiring drivers I'd see quite a few of them leave after just 18 months or so because of one common complaint, home time. It wasn't that they working too many hours, it was time frame of the work. Many of the younger jr. guys come into work after their kids are off to school and don't get home until their kids are in bed or nearly in bed. I am not proposing a solution, but I do believe this is where seniority does more harm than good.
But don’t you think the top seniority guys went through the same thing in their climb up the ladder ? Or are you saying today’s generation doesn’t want to do that ?

But don’t you think the top seniority guys went through the same thing in their climb up the ladder ? Or are you saying today’s generation doesn’t want to do that ?
I can say that with 15 years in with CCX, Conway and now XPO, I can’t get a week off this July or August. So many drivers have 4+ weeks that not many get a “summer week”. I can also say that with 15 years in, I have only two or three (depending on the day or week) drivers below me on the linehaul board. With 15 years in, I think I’ve earned some seniority, but when the powers that be aren’t growing the business, well, I’ll let you figure it out. Why am I still here? I’m still trying to figure that out. There’s got, I repeat, got, to be something better out there. Just not in my area.
And I will say that many in today’s generation don’t want to do much. Nuff said.

P.S. - Do you think the heavy , heavy , heavy reliance on technology ( currently XPO has a budget of $600 million a year for I.T. , up from $500 million a year ) will come back to bite XPO in the butt ? Or will it pay off in the future?
What are the Tech budgets of the other LTL carries? Now $600million may look like alot but you have to remember we are a world wide company. When I came here Con-way was in the stone age when it came to tech. Hell the LH dispatching was a MS-DOS system the handheld were 5yrs out of date when they got them. So $600 million looks like alot but XPO is more the just LTL

Lower my expectations?? They have been low! I’ve always stayed humble. The problem is I seen this coming but a lot of drivers didn’t and continued to BITCH about non sense! The freight was there but someone got rid of most of it make more on the dollar!

Do you understand that when I say we had the freight we were good! It’s only going to get worse around here just like every other LTL company. So tired of hearing about the good ol days! I want a leader in this company that is about the customer, and for management to FIRE disgruntled employees/ egotistical management!

Get ready for a significant dose of the same. Jacobs has boiled this soup down to where the broth is all gone and the ingredients are burnt. He's looking to fill the pot with water and call it all good. We'll see if that works out.

This has to be one of the best post every, sarcasm. "we had the freight we were good" It doesn't matter how much freight you put on the truck if it isn't profitable then how long will the doors stay open. I know another company that "had the freight" it was NEMF when I was in the city would drive past there barn ton of freight on the dock.
Bad pricing and contracts will kill a company. We are not here to haul freight for free or at our expense. We relay on management to get good paying freight and they relay on us to NOT to F**K it up. So we, the driver and dockworker are 50% of the reason we don't have the freight.
It's one thing to get their freight to them fast it's another to get it there intact and undamaged. I bet if you talk to some of these customer they would rather wait one day then have to deal with freight claims.

Most customers don't even need the stuff when I bring it. The rest have been waiting on it wondering why we are so late. Must be something wrong with the algorithm ?

And one of the reasons people stay in a job is to keep that bid and have that stable home time. Because we all know, no matter where we go, if we start over. It will be chaos until we can hold a bid.

A close buddy, who started over, just finally got his first bid. Monday and Tuesday nights off. But he is so at peace now that he is off that phone call. He knows his schedule and when he can sleep and how to plan for family time.

What are the Tech budgets of the other LTL carries? Now $600million may look like alot but you have to remember we are a world wide company. When I came here Con-way was in the stone age when it came to tech. Hell the LH dispatching was a MS-DOS system the handheld were 5yrs out of date when they got them. So $600 million looks like alot but XPO is more the just LTL

We still got these crappy useless scanners that don't work and freeze up or fail to communicate. And how much money did they waste writing the code for that dwell app that didn't even work ?

We still got these crappy useless scanners that don't work and freeze up or fail to communicate. And how much money did they waste writing the code for that dwell app that didn't even work ?
You mean those scanner and that state-of-art E-log system put in the trucks that Con-way bought? I do know one thing is my LH pay has never been messed up ever since they put our pay form on it. I would rather re-boot that HH then wait of weeks to get money owned to me.