Yellow | Why Can't Yrc Compete With Xpo

Hillbilly143

TB Lurker
Credits
Xpo schedule to get a raise of $0.84 at the end of this month. Putting them at top paid in the Southeast region at $28. 88 an hour. Just curious ! If anyone was keeping score

Xpo schedule to get a raise of $0.84 at the end of this month. Putting them at top paid in the Southeast region at $28. 88 an hour. Just curious ! If anyone was keeping score
Fair weathered employees are like fair weathered fans, it's hard to keep one's interest when you're rooting for the loosing side. .lol

Fedex Freight is at $28.83 now. We get our raise in October. Our last 2 raises were $1.00 and $1.10. Assuming a similar increase in October we should be around $30.00 per hour.
I have to ask this: How much do you pay weekly for your family's entire health, dental and vision insurance? And what is your TOTAL out-of-pocket expense for deductables, fees and non covered items?
I've heard as high as $7,000/year?
Not trying to be combative or a smartass...

It should be very obvious that the non-union carriers pay better wages and a better overall compensation package. It’s like comparing apples and oranges though. Unionized carriers are not hired “at will” and can’t be fired for just any reason. They are for the most part treated like men and not like a piece of garbage. They have more job security and their healthcare is free. Does that offset the inequities? For many it does. Just saying it’s not always about the money! For some it’s about pride and self respect.

Last edited:
It should be very obvious that the non-union carriers pay better wages and a better overall compensation package. It’s like comparing apples and oranges though. Unionized carriers are not hired “at will” and can’t be fired for just any reason. They are for the most part treated like men and not like a piece of garbage. They have more job security and their healthcare is free. Does that offset the inequities? For many it does. Just saying it’s not always about the money! For some it’s about pride and self respect.
We all know it's a shell game with them. I just want to see some numbers.
And you're right about being treated like a man.

What do the non unions pay out of their paycheck for retirement? Please add that cost on top of the medical and tell me again how go they have it?
The pension is not a selling point these days. Far too much uncertainty. But the rest I have spoken of in my previous post on this thread is enough in itself to offset the difference. IMO!

Correct me if I'm wrong, yes better wages but not necessarily better overall compensation when health/retirement is considered.

I have to ask this: How much do you pay weekly for your family's entire health, dental and vision insurance? And what is your TOTAL out-of-pocket expense for deductables, fees and non covered items?
I've heard as high as $7,000/year?
Not trying to be combative or a smartass...
At SAIA it was $12 weekly for healthcare (single) $35 family... Damn good and better than most. 401K match. 2 weeks vacation after one year. Paid jury duty for however long in takes. Top pay close to 30hr. Look, I’m not trying to be confrontational. The non-union carriers compensation packages for the most part are better in the final analysis. The point I’m trying to make is it’s worth it to make a little less to have job security and self respect. That does not exist at any non-union carrier.

Correct me if I'm wrong, yes better wages but not necessarily better overall compensation when health/retirement is considered.
The pension has too much uncertainty. Especially those in Central States... It can’t be factored like it once was.