ABF | Why Hire If There Is No Work?

Xray131

TB Lurker
Credits
An ABF recruiter came to my cdl school to recruit drivers. ABF gave me a $2500 sign on bonus and paid 2 weeks training. I worked 7 of the first 8 days I was on the extra board, but now its been 12 days with over 10 drivers ( not counting the 4 that were hired 7 days ago) and nobody has worked once. I don't mind being on the extra board and having to be available at any time but I need to work. Is this normal? or is this just a fluke? If I jump ship I owe ABF my sign on plus training costs. I feel like I might have been duped.

An ABF recruiter came to my cdl school to recruit drivers. ABF gave me a $2500 sign on bonus and paid 2 weeks training. I worked 7 of the first 8 days I was on the extra board, but now its been 12 days with over 10 drivers ( not counting the 4 that were hired 7 days ago) and nobody has worked once. I don't mind being on the extra board and having to be available at any time but I need to work. Is this normal? or is this just a fluke? If I jump ship I owe ABF my sign on plus training costs. I feel like I might have been duped.
Hang in there. We are just getting to the busy season. Winter months are slow at LTL companies for the most part.

What terminal are you at? I ask because ABF is clearing/exhausting the road board in 086 and using supplemental drivers (aka casuals) along with a number of PT drivers (outside carriers).

WE just hire two guys at our terminal, one got three days the other got two this week with another starting on monday. Been hearing of a big account coming on board & the system is gearing up for it. Like Sac said hang in there busy time is around the corner....

WE just hire two guys at our terminal, one got three days the other got two this week with another starting on monday. Been hearing of a big account coming on board & the system is gearing up for it. Like Sac said hang in there busy time is around the corner....
Are you thinking the new warehouse/terminal in Whitestown & the new business from Amazon? I have seen the building. 95 dock doors. @ least 1 where you can drive the semi up on to the dock. I don't see them leaving Harding street & a major new expense with the new terminal without Amazon dollars being involved. von.

Are you thinking the new warehouse/terminal in Whitestown & the new business from Amazon? I have seen the building. 95 dock doors. @ least 1 where you can drive the semi up on to the dock. I don't see them leaving Harding street & a major new expense with the new terminal without Amazon dollars being involved. von.
They are not saying who it might be....

They are not saying who it might be....
050 Indy has NEVER had a account producing as much revenue as Amazon in the last 25 years. They both like each other. I could be wrong on Amazon driving ABF decisions in Indy. But my money is on Amazon. On the other hand maybe the new 050 Terminal will be the new flagship for their own logistics comapany. Only time will tell. von.

050 Indy has NEVER had a account producing as much revenue as Amazon in the last 25 years. They both like each other. I could be wrong on Amazon driving ABF decisions in Indy. But my money is on Amazon. On the other hand maybe the new 050 Terminal will be the new flagship for their own logistics comapany. Only time will tell. von.
Time will tell, we had a gut transfer in from Patterson NJ and he told us they want to hire 10 guys....

Unless I’m reading it wrong, did Section 8, page 3 and 4 , establish a $2.00 less a hour split scale for all non cdl employees, specifically checkers? Sorry, ABFS New COO

I was told abf will stop using railroad as the railroad has said abf must rent and use the trailers from railroad and not abf trailers . So they will stop using them and need hire drivers to cover that freight . But what if after losing business railroad changes mind then no more work for new drivers

Fear not! business levels will pick up and you'll be working more than you want to. After that it will get slow again. Real slow! The only one who duped you is that CDL school. Instead of training you they should have been trying to talk you out of the trucking industry. If you're young enough get out as fast as you can before you're replaced with an automated truck. What you're experiencing at ABF you will experience with any company.

ABF is the best company to start with out of driving school lucky to get on with them stick it out. Wait until you are in the Union off probation then apply for unemployment they will start working you more!

Hired in October 1998. Bottom man for 18 months on a 32 man city board (now 75 on the city board). I earned how to play the game. If you are the first to be called off of lay off, DO NOT work 1 to 3 days. Find another job to fill in your ABF income while on layoff. File for unemployment. When they see you are not available, they will call you back as soon as possible. Especially if there is freight sitting on the dock that is 2 days beyond it's delivery date. I am retired, but what I hear from current workers & this board, layoffs are few & far between. Some days you won't work. That is a given being bottom man. Try Manpower or any other Labor Outfit that handles drivers. There is such a shortage of CDL drivers, you should have no problem finding daily gigs.

I was told abf will stop using railroad as the railroad has said abf must rent and use the trailers from railroad and not abf trailers . So they will stop using them and need hire drivers to cover that freight . But what if after losing business railroad changes mind then no more work for new drivers
I see ABF trailers on trains i pass still. see guys running to railyard. more time efficient to run us or PT for the cost.

Why would they just purchase 250 rail vans if they were doing away with it?