Holland | Why I'm having a hard time with concessions

thermo

TB Lurker
Credits
At our terminal in West Michigan there seems to be a lot of waste going on on the other side of the window .They(management) are insistent on following drivers around to see if they have their locks locked on their trailers during their daily routes.They just sent out a stack of reprimand letter over an inch thick,all certified mail.I would think that that would be rather expensive as well as time consuming on the preparation of each letter...Next point:almost every day we get dispatched we have to wait 15 to 30 minutes for our bills to come out,and they want us to hurry past our pretrip!Yeah right. They spend so much time handpicking each drivers load rather than dispatching in seniority order that it slows the whole process down.Next we are almost out of tractors everyday because they don't want us to drive Volvos in the city or the head of the garage is out to lunch and they need his permission to release a tractor for the day.Next; you can empty out at a customer and they have 5 skids to pick up but nooo we have to save that for the Bid driver. Stupid!!!!Lets drive 20 miles across town to make three pickups..I could go on but if anyone would like to add to my rant that would be fine peace out......

Last edited by a moderator:
How can anyone figure out on how they might vote without first seeing something in writing... maybe the union should have a hotline so that management abuses can be reported ....Working at Newpenn ,the last vote when we had to do the re-vote till we got it right,we were told by NewPenn management that since they wouldn't be paying into the pension they would be able to work more guys everyday..Nothing but lies,, packing the trailers with guys sitting home is the way Newpenn does it and this will never change,,

,More concessions :moon2: :moon2:

At our terminal in West Michigan there seems to be a lot of waste going on on the other side of the window .They(management) are insistent on following drivers around to see if they have their locks locked on their trailers during their daily routes.They just sent out a stack of reprimand letter over an inch thick,all certified mail.I would think that that would be rather expensive as well as time consuming on the preparation of each letter...Next point:almost every day we get dispatched we have to wait 15 to 30 minutes for our bills to come out,and they want us to hurry past our pretrip!Yeah right. They spend so much time handpicking each drivers load rather than dispatching in seniority order that it slows the whole process down.Next we are almost out of tractors everyday because they don't want us to drive Volvos in the city or the head of the garage is out to lunch and they need his permission to release a tractor for the day.Next; you can empty out at a customer and they have 5 skids to pick up but nooo we have to save that for the Bid driver. Stupid!!!!Lets drive 20 miles across town to make three pickups..I could go on but if anyone would like to add to my rant that would be fine peace out......

Its not only your terminal that this happens at.When I started reading the first sentence,had you have not stated you are in Western Michigan,it sounded like you were talking about Joliet!!!!!

It also sounds like Detroit. But they(management) don't want to listen. Same old same old....you know The drivers know NOTHING. They can't make any money because they got you guys running point A and then 30 miles to point B and then back again.

I won't bother you all with the details, but I know what I see every day! No changes in strategy since the concessions. Keep guys at home while we build storage trailers. We'll wait and see what they offer.

This is the POINT that the UNION does not see ,that they are not trying to save money or make money, the poor dispatching that costs the company way more than we can give back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I dont see mentioned is the fact that Zollars will be receiving just under $8million, his pension which is God knows what and insurance for his wife and himself forever. This is not a rumor. I (you know me) called Investor Relations and this is what I was told. The gentleman on the other end did everything he could not to give me numbers but I stayed with it. The question we should all be asking our union is why can they break our contract and not his. Where did all the money go that we have kicked back. Wow we get 2 seats on the board....what good did 1 seat do!!!

Kathyr I believe its the members that made the decisions to take the concessions. Take Zollars pension and see it grow. His contract is governed by the law, where we have the IBT.

I'm having a very hard time with this one, but it's a no brainer. Lets look at where we are at. The pension plan is going broke and YRCW doesn't want to pay in except for 25% till 2015. Four more years at 85%? They want cuts in our work rules. All YRCW does is write these warning letters for nonsense which I believe is just harassment. The morale is terrible, since Yellow bought us it's been cut, cut, cut. Holland used to be the best driving job in town and was very hard to get hired on, now they can't get qualified people to hire. I don't think this job is worth anymore sacrifices. Don't be fooled, their are other jobs out there making what your earning and more. Being a Teamster once meant something. Quit lying down and taking it, stand for something.
By the way I got into trucking shortly after deregulation (1983) and have seen all the big union carriers go down ( Mclean, Transcon, P.I.E., Ryder, Consolidated Freightways, Branch, Halls, Thurston, American, Mason-Dixion and the list goes on and on.) Not one ever came back after a give back.

I stand corrected on that. Thank you Griz. I couldn't remember. I used to run Line haul into Richfield, OH and some of the terminals out east with an outside carrier.

I'm having a very hard time with this one, but it's a no brainer. Lets look at where we are at. The pension plan is going broke and YRCW doesn't want to pay in except for 25% till 2015. Four more years at 85%? They want cuts in our work rules. All YRCW does is write these warning letters for nonsense which I believe is just harassment. The morale is terrible, since Yellow bought us it's been cut, cut, cut. Holland used to be the best driving job in town and was very hard to get hired on, now they can't get qualified people to hire. I don't think this job is worth anymore sacrifices. Don't be fooled, their are other jobs out there making what your earning and more. Being a Teamster once meant something. Quit lying down and taking it, stand for something.
By the way I got into trucking shortly after deregulation (1983) and have seen all the big union carriers go down ( Mclean, Transcon, P.I.E., Ryder, Consolidated Freightways, Branch, Halls, Thurston, American, Mason-Dixion and the list goes on and on.) Not one ever came back after a give back.

excellent post, good one for stardog to read.

The problem that I have with this mess is the business plan. They all act like they don't have a dime invested into this place and couldn't care less what the final results are. From Corporate on down to the terminals, nobody seems to care. The only business plan that they have seems to be that.... "if we keep losing money, we will just keep going back to the employees for more money", instead of changing to a better business plan.