Holland | Why No Part-time Drivers?

Not wishing for it, just saying that maybe they need to start thinking outside the box on ways to move freight , because they will never raise wages in order to hire drivers !
With all of the terminal consolidations, the powers that be should try to get at least YRC, I mean Orange Freight, to get away from their ancient, hub and spoke way of moving freight, and try maybe loading more direct, and not trying to jam every inch of cube into a trailer? Never know, maybe less claims, service would improve, and cut the need for as many drivers.

Used to be a Casual was someone that wanted to be hired. Had to prove themselves to management to get hired. Now no body wants to be hired by this company.
Ahh.... The old days. When it was a job people wanted because it paid well.
You had great insurance. And could retire with dignity.
Now your lucky if you CAN retire at all. I'm lucky. I don't need much.

Ahh.... The old days. When it was a job people wanted because it paid well.
You had great insurance. And could retire with dignity.
Now your lucky if you CAN retire at all. I'm lucky. I don't need much.
Roadway put me on full-time in July of 1982 after about ten months as a casual. They also put another casual
on full-time but one day senior to me. For about the next twenty-seven years my friend would remind me of his seniority.

Last edited:
Roadway put me on full-time in July of 1982 after about ten months as a casual. They also put another casual
on full-time but one day senior to me. For about the next twenty-seven years my friend would remind me of his seniority.

I hope you stayed in touch with this guy, so he knows about your successful Campground Approved Firewood business.

Same happened to me.
Another casual with less time was put on a week before me.
I was there 9 months. He was there 3 months.
It really came with no issues the whole time we were there.
I knew why they did it. I was not from anywhere near here. He was.
It didn't bother me. He always bid way off where I wanted to be. Never got bumped by him. Just the way it was then.

Used to be a Casual was someone that wanted to be hired. Had to prove themselves to management to get hired. Now no body wants to be hired by this company.

Not necessarily true. Some guys, myself included for a time, wanted to stay casual. Work when you wanted to work and take off when you wanted to take off. This of course was back when there were plenty of Teamster jobs in the area and work was available at most of them. I turned down seniority at a few places back then just to have my "freedom".

Not necessarily true. Some guys, myself included for a time, wanted to stay casual. Work when you wanted to work and take off when you wanted to take off. This of course was back when there were plenty of Teamster jobs in the area and work was available at most of them. I turned down seniority at a few places back then just to have my "freedom".
That's true.
And they used alot of college people where I was who were never going to be full time employees. They just needed a partime job. And management knew who hey were and used them to their advantage.
When we merged with the yellow barn they had a casual who retired as a casual.
I think he got a small pension as he paid dues. Not sure of the whole story. Someone said he was there 30 years and never wanted to be a regular employee.

That's true.
And they used alot of college people where I was who were never going to be full time employees. They just needed a partime job. And management knew who hey were and used them to their advantage.
When we merged with the yellow barn they had a casual who retired as a casual.
I think he got a small pension as he paid dues. Not sure of the whole story. Someone said he was there 30 years and never wanted to be a regular employee.
Did he get a pocket size, Orange flashlight for 30 years of service,also?

There will be all kinds of grievances and run around claims if part time casuals are used. Maybe if they only could be used when boards are exhausted?

There will be all kinds of grievances and run around claims if part time casuals are used. Maybe if they only could be used when boards are exhausted?

Casuals are only used (for road work anyway) when there are no seniority drivers available and freight has to move. But don't confuse casuals with part-timers. Casuals work a full trip or work day. Part-timers typically work less than a full 8 hour day. Opening the door to part-timers may not be a good thing, it's something that can have a bad effect on full time workers down the line.

I know RULES RULES RULES , but really upper management & union needs to rethink the rules on no part-time drivers , because we can't hire drivers and they are using shiny wheels to move loads , so why not explore the option of hiring PT company drivers to work 2-3 days a week ? Just pay them the higher non-union pay scale with no benefits ! Point is the freight has got to move one way or another ! Maybe time for company & union to think outside the box ????
That makes too much sense for our braindead brothers and sisters to comprehend. When I retired, I would gladly have worked a weekend layover now and then. I was already known to Yellow and familiar with the system.

Casuals are only used (for road work anyway) when there are no seniority drivers available and freight has to move. But don't confuse casuals with part-timers. Casuals work a full trip or work day. Part-timers typically work less than a full 8 hour day. Opening the door to part-timers may not be a good thing, it's something that can have a bad effect on full time workers down the line.
OR, it could allow the company to become competitive and save your jobs

That makes too much sense for our braindead brothers and sisters to comprehend. When I retired, I would gladly have worked a weekend layover now and then. I was already known to Yellow and familiar with the system.

So why don't you make yourself available for weekend road work? It's there if you want it. That's casual work not part-time work. There is a difference.