XPO | why od is beating us

imported_angry lcp

TB Lurker
Credits
od is beating us why? because they hire there dockworkers as straight up co employees. 18 to 20 dollars an hour with bennies, and they instill a sense of pride in them. we on the other hand pass the buck to a temp agency, treat them like a red headed step child. and pay them 13 an hour, treat them like dirt, so what do you get? an attitude of im not conway, floored out trailers. massive damage claims, and no pride. time to wake up. i am a dsr by the way but i am not stupid. more money more bennies and a sense of company pride , will solve your problem of load factor, and damage claims. and i dont even have a college degree.

[quote author=angry lcp link=topic=80324.msg831355#msg831355 date=1274335629]
od is beating us why? because they hire there dockworkers as straight up co employees. 18 to 20 dollars an hour with bennies, and they instill a sense of pride in them. we on the other hand pass the buck to a temp agency, treat them like a red headed step child. and pay them 13 an hour, treat them like dirt, so what do you get? an attitude of im not conway, floored out trailers. massive damage claims, and no pride. time to wake up. i am a dsr by the way but i am not stupid. more money more bennies and a sense of company pride , will solve your problem of load factor, and damage claims. and i dont even have a college degree.
[/quote]Thanks, but I would rather keep my overtime pay :/

[/quote]

everyone barks about the way it used to be. We used to step up and help those that don't know to learn how to do it right. Most dock worker's attitudes come from who they work with not who they work for. The biggest problem in this company is lack of ownership. Too many victims.Throw the blame anywhere you want but at the end of the day I would not quit this company for any other including O-D.

[quote author=Merdock link=topic=80324.msg831521#msg831521 date=1274395244]
[/quote]

everyone barks about the way it used to be. We used to step up and help those that don't know to learn how to do it right. Most dock worker's attitudes come from who they work with not who they work for. The biggest problem in this company is lack of ownership. Too many victims.Throw the blame anywhere you want but at the end of the day I would not quit this company for any other including O-D.
[/quote]

Right on the money Merdock.

I would't say OD is beating us, they are barely making a bit more per dollar. Remember how we were in the 1990's kicking ass and taking names? OD is small compared to us and their more regional and really the only way they have is to go is up. They like to throw OD's name out there in the video's to soften us up to take more from us I ASSURE YOU on the other hand we might get a big FAT raise, Oh and by the way they CGO want's overtime brought under control. and they wan't Daytime L/H working the dock more especially at the meet. Basically daytime needs to be run like nightime where linehaul drivers work the dock, which they are already doing but it's going to be done more

[quote author=DEEP THROAT2 link=topic=80324.msg831680#msg831680 date=1274449331]
I would't say OD is beating us, they are barely making a bit more per dollar. Remember how we were in the 1990's kicking ass and taking names? OD is small compared to us and their more regional and really the only way they have is to go is up. They like to throw OD's name out there in the video's to soften us up to take more from us I ASSURE YOU on the other hand we might get a big FAT raise, Oh and by the way they CGO want's overtime brought under control. and they wan't Daytime L/H working the dock more especially at the meet. Basically daytime needs to be run like nightime where linehaul drivers work the dock, which they are already doing but it's going to be done more
[/quote]
Why should L/H drivers work the dock at all? If Service centers would load more pure's & headloads instead of just blowing freight into the trailers and letting the next Service Center worry about it, maybe the claims they keep complaining about would go down.
Dang it. There I go making sense again.

o.d. did not buy another co for 744 million like we did. they did not take bennys away from employees like retirement,sick days,and numerous other things after doing so. wake up!

[quote author=crasher link=topic=80324.msg831838#msg831838 date=1274496426]
o.d. did not buy another co for 744 million like we did. they did not take bennys away from employees like retirement,sick days,and numerous other things after doing so. wake up!
[/quote]

They didn't have to...and neither did we!

Rat

is it possible od employees are happier? is it possible they go to work for their employer with a smile on their face. has their company taken any of their benifits, wages, etc? could it be possible they actually have a dream there?

no wonder a many number of the brass jetted years ago (around the time nemf expanded its service area)....they too may have know the direction of cornhole.

no, I am not going to go to work there.....just a point.

[quote author=companyclown link=topic=80324.msg836214#msg836214 date=1276114501]
is it possible od employees are happier? is it possible they go to work for their employer with a smile on their face. has their company taken any of their benifits, wages, etc? could it be possible they actually have a dream there?

no wonder a many number of the brass jetted years ago (around the time nemf expanded its service area)....they too may have know the direction of cornhole.

no, I am not going to go to work there.....just a point.
[/quote]
I agree 100% Clown!!! Very good Point

[quote author=thestrap link=topic=80324.msg831731#msg831731 date=1274461250]
[quote author=DEEP THROAT2 link=topic=80324.msg831680#msg831680 date=1274449331]
[/quote]
Why should L/H drivers work the dock at all? If Service centers would load more pure's & headloads instead of just blowing freight into the trailers and letting the next Service Center worry about it, maybe the claims they keep complaining about would go down.
Dang it. There I go making sense again.
[/quote]

this is a problem with some of you vetern line drivers....you think everything should be laid out for you to go everytime..you work for this company too....get off of your ass and your high little horse and give your fellow employees a hand instead of complaining about crap...i get your on a schedule and you need to go..but maybe you can be a solution to the problem instead of someone who moans and walks off till its done...

[quote author=Merdock link=topic=80324.msg831521#msg831521 date=1274395244]
[/quote]

[/quote]your right merdock,in most cases it is who they work with. in all my years the bad attiudes come from the bonehead managers that think they know what they are doing, but don't have a clue.

Incase you didn't know it, most service centers won't let a line haul driver on the outbound dock. It is not lazyness, it's management stupidity. For your information

[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=80324.msg836339#msg836339 date=1276160351]
Incase you didn't know it, most service centers won't let a line haul driver on the outbound dock. It is not lazyness, it's management stupidity. For your information
[/quote]

i have never been to a SC that did not allow Line Drivers on the dock...maybe in the east or south they run things that way but here in western,the facilities i have been at,if their trailer isnt closed..they help close..runnin paper,breaking freight etc...i am not trying to put Line Drivers down and it may have came off that way,but we all should work together...

The way it used to be and the way "veteran" drivers act is all part of the process. If you are new to the company.....you are screwed as far as any type of future. The vets layed out the way for you new guys and they now realize that they ended up getting donkey punched during a good oooooogasm. The company has changed and the higher ups will benefit from all the veterans. If you know one.....salute them and show some respect. Hold the door open for them......fuel their truck, hook their set, get some plywood while they load their trlr, do what you do best.
You newer guys know nothing of what was PROMISED........just wait on the senior drivers to retire and you can then have your own dream get ruined as well. Pretty soon.........you'll understand right after you are stabbed in the back by your "family".

IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!!!!!!!!

[quote author=companyclown link=topic=80324.msg836412#msg836412 date=1276191286]
The company has changed and the higher ups will benefit from all the veterans. If you know one.....salute them and show some respect. Hold the door open for them......fuel their truck, hook their set, get some plywood while they load their trlr, do what you do best.

[/quote]

Are you kidding me or what??? Maybe you are being sarcastic and I am not picking up on it??? YOU CAN"T BE SERIOUS??? :nono:

I work for OD , sure some things are retarted like al places, we have plenty of work, Line haul drivers DO NOT work the dock its drop hook. p&d guys can get 60 hrs a week if they want it, most guys are lazy will settle for 40 hrs , p&d also has the option to run a line haul on the weekend for extra cash .

We might get streight time , but we wont get laid off.. and starting pay is pretty god here hrly and mileage .

NEMF in NJ starts their line haul at .38 cents a mile wtf is that..
just thought i'd throw that in there

Because they treat there people with respect and people like there jobs there!!! remember when they did that here???Oh yeah those were the days!! they need to start from the top and clean house here! arrogance will catch up to you every time!!!
Skybuster2

I just started working at ODFL last week. one of the biggest reasons they are beating us is obvious to me, they treat their people with respect and the employees care about the company. wow what a difference in the atmosphere compared to Conway.see alot of smiling faces and polite people......Yes even management too!! like a breath of fresh air. gonna miss alot of the road drivers in the midwest area from Conway. yes there is life after Conway!
Skybuster2