Estes | Why outside carriers ?

Saving money running company equipment back empty, that's how the trailer equipment pool gets jacked up and nobody in corporate knows why? I really don't know Estes reasonings I'm speaking how Saia operates. :poke:

Need them when it's busy to help keep from hiring too many drivers.
When it's slow we still gotta use them or we will lose them and it's a lot cheaper to use them instead of us.
They are the reason we can have vacation when we ask for it during the busy season

The contractors are cheaper so indirectly they subsidize our wages and benefits. Estes doesn't usually lay drivers off. Using contractors means they don't over hire when it's busy. They also bring us freight to deliver if you are a city driver. That said it does suck when they are working and you are not. Everyone uses contractors or (PT) purchase transportation nowadays. Seems like Old Dominion doesn't use them that much.

The contractors are cheaper so indirectly they subsidize our wages and benefits. Estes doesn't usually lay drivers off. Using contractors means they don't over hire when it's busy. They also bring us freight to deliver if you are a city driver. That said it does suck when they are working and you are not. Everyone uses contractors or (PT) purchase transportation nowadays. Seems like Old Dominion doesn't use them that much.
some barns, yes, we use them. However, that's usually break bulks. I wasn't at Estes long enough to see alot of outside carriers. But I did see outside carriers pulling doubles or vans when I was OTR, for you guys. OD seems to have teams pretty much covered. From the break bulk term I moved out of.

Capacity is opening up again. We haven't seen outside carriers (like we did before) for some yrs . When freight slows down, one way lanes come back in full force.

Now sit back and put your remember the past glasses on. Do you remember what freight was like before Trump? I do.

One good thing I remember is empty roads at night. That's starting to come back too.