XPO | Why wasn't there a warning?

camocap

TB Lurker
Credits
or was there? I've read many posts and haven't ran into that question yet. Sorry if it's already been covered.Why not let your employees know that something is going to happen. Sucks that so many are without jobs and even worse that it's this time of year and I'm sure a lot of people weren't even prepared. How could they be if they didn't have a clue?

Probably too many people still trying to recover from the 40 terminals closing, there were small hints & and even things things that I saw ( just thought nothing of them) that should have given this away.

:hide:The problems in the USA and the Global Economy were the warning! None of us wanted to believe them, but they were there!
My firm belief is: Con-Way will do whatever it takes to survive: uintil the time that we are offered a good price for our stock: then who knows?
Only us can answer that question. :smilie_132:

this pain sucks for everyone.where does it end.

Is there ever a good time to give bad news? After Christmas when you spent a lot of $$? Before?? Who the "H" knew the economy was going to take a major sh**? Did we listen to BB who told us there was bad times coming? This just sucks for all!

Is there ever a good time to give bad news? After Christmas when you spent a lot of $$? Before?? Who the "H" knew the economy was going to take a major sh**? Did we listen to BB who told us there was bad times coming? This just sucks for all!

IMHO, It's better to be let go before we go on a holiday spending spree rather than after we go on a spending spree and have to pay our debts.
However the spiraling economy should have been an indicator to slow the "F" down on the day to day habits we take for granted.
Nip and tucking, penny pinching cutting costs like everyone else was doing. It's a no brainer that bad times were coming.

When you make reference like:
Did we listen to BB who told us there was bad times coming?
Do you mean to say he knew Black Friday was going to take place?

I'm not trying to spin your post around, I'm just trying to understand what you are implying, while referencing the title of this thread.

or was there? I've read many posts and haven't ran into that question yet. Sorry if it's already been covered.Why not let your employees know that something is going to happen. Sucks that so many are without jobs and even worse that it's this time of year and I'm sure a lot of people weren't even prepared. How could they be if they didn't have a clue?

com on guys everybody around if you was paying attention to the world should have know this with other companies shutoing down the frieght slow down and driver not working every day

any person can see this was going to happen open your eyes up people its going to get worse

from sources i have high up there will be another cut after the first of the year if things dont turn around even a little

I just heard the news where President elect Obama said the economy is going to get alot worse. (Please don't turn this into a political topic)
Time to batten down the hatches and start nipping and tucking your personal finances, if you haven't done so already.

come on now...

yes the economy is in bad shape, yes things are bad.
but for me personally, I did not have a clue period!!!

How could we not know? how could you possibly anticipate being let go after 17 years????

If we don't want to burn our bridges we must give a 2 wk notice. I think it would have only been fair to give these people at least 1 wk notice.This is not the best time of the year to find out you have just lost your job.My heart goes out to these drivers,shop, and part time people.

For the record, managers knew a few days in advance...probably why you saw that jacked up look on their faces last week...
When I said the worst was yet to come, I specifically meant the state of our country's economy, and I still stand by that..
When I said back in the summer that I was living like a hermit on weekends to protect my finances by not buying 4.50 gas, that was just one step of many I took...Christmas this year is definitely going to be "Diet Christmas"...I can only implore folks to prepare, can't force them to do it...If you think you are immune, then last week was hopefully a wake up call...

For the record, managers knew a few days in advance...probably why you saw that jacked up look on their faces last week...
When I said the worst was yet to come, I specifically meant the state of our country's economy, and I still stand by that..
When I said back in the summer that I was living like a hermit on weekends to protect my finances by not buying 4.50 gas, that was just one step of many I took...Christmas this year is definitely going to be "Diet Christmas"...I can only implore folks to prepare, can't force them to do it...If you think you are immune, then last week was hopefully a wake up call...

Thank you for the clarification Boxboss.
I fully understand the position your were put in as a manager by not leaking any information prior to it's formal announcement. (Because we have such a diverse amount of mindsets in here, NO ONE in their right mind better hold you accountable for any of this)

Black Friday was definitely a wake up call not only to Con-way employees, but everyone involved in this sinking economy.

from sources i have high up there will be another cut after the first of the year if things dont turn around even a little

It isn't going to......and there will be.......If you were not caught in this round, and you have less than 5 yrs or so as a DSR, or, are in any type of support position (clerical etc.), I suggest you circle the wagons and prepare for the next wave..........In any "set" of waves coming in, the 9th. wave is always the most powerfull, the one that causes the most damage.......

yes the economy is in bad shape, yes things are bad.
but for me personally, I did not have a clue period!!!

How could we not know? how could you possibly anticipate being let go after 17 years????

Bewildered , I wish to start by saying I don't
like to see anyone lose thier job . That said ,

Your post BEWILDERS me ! How could you be so
nieve or dissconnected , having worked for CNW
for 17 years ? Have you no clue as to the way
things such as this have happened previuosly in
in other componets of CNW , or other large
companies ?

Surely , you would understand the problems that
would occur upon a prior notice of such , i.e.
loss of productivity , dissruption of service ,
barrage of calls from customers , empolyees , and
dependents .

I can not even imagine in THIS day and age ,
with all of the media available i.e. multiple
24/7 news outlets , publications , personel
computers , telephones , cell phones , ect .,
that anyone could isolate themselves to be so
unaware of their surroundings as you seem to
have been .

I certainly hope for your sake , that you
will learn from this experience .

GOOD LUCK

It isn't going to......and there will be.......If you were not caught in this round, and you have less than 5 yrs or so as a DSR, or, are in any type of support position (clerical etc.), I suggest you circle the wagons and prepare for the next wave..........In any "set" of waves coming in, the 9th. wave is always the most powerfull, the one that causes the most damage.......

I think it has alot to do with the amount of freight versus the amount of man-power at a particular terminal not the amount of time a Dsr has...

Bewildered , I wish to start by saying I don't
like to see anyone lose thier job . That said ,

Your post BEWILDERS me ! How could you be so
nieve or dissconnected , having worked for CNW
for 17 years ? Have you no clue as to the way
things such as this have happened previuosly in
in other componets of CNW , or other large
companies ?

Surely , you would understand the problems that
would occur upon a prior notice of such , i.e.
loss of productivity , dissruption of service ,
barrage of calls from customers , empolyees , and
dependents .

I can not even imagine in THIS day and age ,
with all of the media available i.e. multiple
24/7 news outlets , publications , personel
computers , telephones , cell phones , ect .,
that anyone could isolate themselves to be so
unaware of their surroundings as you seem to
have been .

I certainly hope for your sake , that you
will learn from this experience .

GOOD LUCK

I guess I just look at it differently and have in all my years always managed to keep a very positive attitude. I guess if it was a larger Serv Ctr I could see it, in all my years Con-Way has never cut out every CSR out of a terminal.

I mean their has always been at least one, I just didnt see them ever cutting CSR'S out completely. Yes I knew the company was having issues, times were slow. but our facility has made or exceeded our goals the entire year.The service center itself has been very profitable. I guess thats why this hit us out of nowhere..

and in my experience usually hour reduction, came before
job elimination.

So I dont feel nieve, just had faith in being an important part of Con-Way. I know its a business decision, and they have to do what they have to do. But as far as my service center, its going to be a challenge to get it all accomplished.
The MGR/FOS etc will be left putting in 14-16 hr days.
trying to figure out things they have no clue about.

I dont have bad feelings towards Con-Way, I wish they could have waited till after Christmas, and a little more notice. But they have taken very good care of me for a very long time. and for that I will forever be grateful.

Bewildered, not sure where you are from, but your attitude and understanding show a great deal of class.

The issue with notification is one of productivity, and nothing more. Giving two weeks of notice for this type of event would have produced an awful result business wise. Those that were being let go would have zero incentive to work at full efficiency other than personal ethics, and while you sound like someone that would have worked just as hard, many others would not. Drivers would have no reason to hustle, and in fact many would have spent excessive time with customers lamenting their fate. Absenteeism would have been extremely high. All around, it would not have served the company well.

Unfortunately, that is the only consideration. When decisions are made, stockholders are first, everyone else takes a weak second.

Thank you chuckand bob. I really was wondering why a 2 week notice wouldn't happen. I'm thinking that 2 weeks wouldn't hurt anyone but that makes sence. Thanks for the input.

If we don't want to burn our bridges we must give a 2 wk notice. I think it would have only been fair to give these people at least 1 wk notice.This is not the best time of the year to find out you have just lost your job.My heart goes out to these drivers,shop, and part time people.

This is a great point, Con-way expects us to let them know when we are leaving, but apparently it's okay for them to boot their employees before Christmas without any notice at all. Makes you laugh when you think about Commitment, Excellence, and whatever other stupid slogans they fill their service centers with :hysterical:
com on guys everybody around if you was paying attention to the world should have know this with other companies shutoing down the frieght slow down and driver not working every day

any person can see this was going to happen open your eyes up people its going to get worse

These layoffs have NOTHING to do with the economy. Conway is just using the bad economy as justification for driving down their employee wages and taking away health benefits. Don't be surprised if in a year or two all DSR dockworkers will be replaced by lesser paid, non-CDL dockworkers without benefits. I'm sure Conway has wanted to do this for some time, but knew if they did it at any other time they would have to worry about a union coming in. It was a smart choice for the corporation to wait until the economy went negative, nobody will dare question the layoffs or try to form a union because everybody is scared they could be next. Make your employees fearful and you can do whatever you want and they will still :butt kiss:

The issue with notification is one of productivity, and nothing more. Giving two weeks of notice for this type of event would have produced an awful result business wise. Those that were being let go would have zero incentive to work at full efficiency other than personal ethics, and while you sound like someone that would have worked just as hard, many others would not. Drivers would have no reason to hustle, and in fact many would have spent excessive time with customers lamenting their fate. Absenteeism would have been extremely high. All around, it would not have served the company well.
If Conway was serious and committed to helping those they lay off with finding new work, this wouldn't be an issue, but as we all know they aren't committed to that. The bottom line is a company with good morals could have given a 2 week notice for those being let go, but that would have required they do extra work, such as job placement, which obviously Conway is not the least bit interested in doing. They want the employees they keep to be terrified they could be next, it's just a fear campaign, so of course they wouldn't give a notice.

They expect their workers to give a 24 hour notice if they are going to be out sick so they darn sure could have warned you guys about the layoffs.

But, like I always tell my husband that's the Con way.