FedEx Freight | Why?

I work for FXNL PHI s/c and we can take our lunch later than the 3-6 hour,but we have to sign a paper saying the driver and management agreed to it.The only tractors that dont shut off at our barn are the rentals.
some centers take things to extreme. sounds like yours has some common sense. Also depends on your snapshot team. I think fedex has as many lawyers as they do drivers

got wrote up today for that as a matter of fact..LOL..went top line but forgot to write LUNCH.. WTF else would I go there for? Idiots

I love it !! Great post ! the computer did not tell them why you went to the top line :dance::hide::poster_oops::732:

Out in the wild wild west at FXF, we not only have to put in our lunch on the log book, but at the end of your shift you have to put it in the computer. It also has to match your log book and conform to the correct time restraints. If it doesn't the computer will reject your submission, and you have to put in an excuse. You don't want to go there anymore, because you'll get a warning letter, so fix the time. Your also allowed a second lunch after 10 hours, and a second lunch in mandatory after 12 hours. I'm sure Hootersville has a spot all picked out to store all this valuable information. Probably puts it with those indispensable sign in and sign out books. What a colossal waste of time those are, but then Hootersville hasn't discovered computers yet. TP

Here is the rule in Washington State. The link also takes you to a site with more questions & answers.

8. May an employee waive the meal period?
Employees may choose to waive the meal period requirements. The regulation states employees "shall be allowed," and "no employee shall be required to work more than five hours without a meal period." The department interprets this to mean than an employer may not require more than five consecutive hours of work and must allow a 30-minute meal period when employees work five hours or longer.
If an employee wishes to waive that meal period, the employer may agree to it. The employee may at any time request the meal period. While it is not required, the department recommends obtaining a written request from the employee(s) who chooses to waive the meal period.
If, at some later date, the employee(s) wishes to receive a meal period, any agreement would no longer be in effect. Employees must still receive a rest period of at least ten minutes for each four hours of work.
An employer can refuse to allow the employee to waive the meal period and require that an employee take a meal period.

Breaks & Meal Periods

So while a meal period is required by law, it also allows the company to allow you to waive your lunch. They choose not to. Instead, they use it as just one more obstacle to work around. Anyone that does a long distance route that doesn't leave the barn until 10 or later knows what a impediment it can be. I don't understand the company's refusal to budge on this. It's perfectly legal to allow us to waive our lunches. They can't be sued for not giving us a lunch break. (Unless they think their dispatchers will use it to force drivers not to take their lunches. But a quick call the HR should fix that....)

It's just like our tractors shutting down. I burn more fuel keeping it running than I would normally use just letting it idle.

The law suit we have on going in California is probably one reason we have to jump through so many hoops to keep them happy, and the reason they won't budge. TP

Always had to take a 30 minute lunch break here (FXF) but had to sign off on a pre-shift in the last 60 days regarding the 3 to 6 hour rule. Of course, if you still have deliveries in the wagon, you may extend that 6th hour to however long it takes...what a joke!! Somedays I feel agreeable and empty out first, somedays I stick it too them for stickin it to me and burn my lunch strategically...makes me smile just thinking about it.

And not to rub it in BUT my L unit runs all day and night unless I shut her down. A/C is ice cold and the heater will set you on fire...life is good.

Anybody having to shut down and take a hour lunch. Some of us at our barn is, got my last delivery off one day last week at 5 pm. Had a appt. from 10- 4.

We can't extend the hours unless we have permission from dispatch. Usually involving appointments or getting hung up somewhere. The old days we would empty out first, take lunch then start pick ups. Broke the day up nicely.

Washington and California are two of the states leading the drive for this lunch rule. I guess it's the "let's make it a rule nationwide to satisfy a couple of states" rule.

section 395.8(c) of the FMCSR

(c) For each change of duty status (e.g., the place of reporting for work, starting to drive, on-duty not driving and where released from work), the name of the city, town or village, with State abbreviation, shall be recorded.

There is no requirement in the regulations to identify the purpose of the stop. There may be a company policy, but the Feds do not concern themselves with company policy.

my tractor turns off in 3 mins, have to log lunch on line 1 which is wrong should be on line 4. and freight drivers pass us all the time..

The FMCSR allow drivers to log lunch brakes off duty, provided certain requirements are met, at the discretion of the employer.

section 395.8(c) of the FMCSR

(c) For each change of duty status (e.g., the place of reporting for work, starting to drive, on-duty not driving and where released from work), the name of the city, town or village, with State abbreviation, shall be recorded.

There is no requirement in the regulations to identify the purpose of the stop. There may be a company policy, but the Feds do not concern themselves with company policy.
and fedex doesn't concern themselves with the feds policies. natl doesn't allow blue ink on logs either

Well, the guy I talked to was adamant that they were allowed to waive their lunches saying he signed a paper to that effect during his training. Washington State law allows you to waive your lunch if the company agrees to it. Merely keep a signed paper on file saying that you will notify dispatch if you're taking a lunch when you commonly waive it. I also was parked next to him and his tractor ran at idle for at least a half hour with no bumping of the pedal.

Sooo, you sat there waiting to see if he bumped the pedal.:LMAO::LMAO::LMAO: