Estes | Why ?

Thumbsuptoher

TB Lurker
Credits
Just a question but WHY are we,,(Estes),,,the only company out there who are still putting these stupid orange stamped UN number strips on the side of our trailers??? Which are IMPOSSIBLE to put on in the rain. I have friends at SAIA ,,OD. They laugh at us. Had a friend at South Eastern actually bring it my attention. Just made me wonder.

Easy solution for rainy/freezing conditions: Flip a placard over (I will usually use the same class placs as what are called for) and attach the UN number to the back of the placard. Make sure it goes horizontally across the diamond- corner to corner. Flip the excess over the back of the placard. Do this for all 4 sides. Slide them into the single placard holders. FYI-I asked Curtis Carr personally about this, and he said it is legal.

Easy solution for rainy/freezing conditions: Flip a placard over (I will usually use the same class placs as what are called for) and attach the UN number to the back of the placard. Make sure it goes horizontally across the diamond- corner to corner. Flip the excess over the back of the placard. Do this for all 4 sides. Slide them into the single placard holders. FYI-I asked Curtis Carr personally about this, and he said it is legal.
I saw a guy do this and it’s actually a pretty good idea.

I'm assuming you are a city or local driver, they'd never ask a line driver to perform such an arduous task.

I'm assuming you are a city or local driver, they'd never ask a line driver to perform such an arduous task.
It is rather arduous, so I try to plan it so I can take my break right after doing all that. Otherwise, I would be too drained to continue the rest of my night. Also, I always make sure I have a spotter... you know, safety first!

GjPa951.jpg

Some good ideas on here. I think this topic was already discussed in the FedEx Forum. I think they decided that the ones that already have numbers are way too expensive.

Placard holders get ripped off all the time. This happens when trailers are parked too close together. They have to be replaced often. It's not just a one-time purchase.

I know it's impossible to stick placards on an ice covered trailer. I used to de-ice with a spray can of brake cleaner. Then I used some spray glue ( not too much).

Carry a window scraper in your tool bag ( use eye protection) to remove old placards.
When you apply new placards leave a 1/4 inch folded over on itself so it's easier for the next driver to remove them.

One more thing: OP mentioned that other drivers laugh at him. Welcome to life on planet Earth. Sometimes your fellow Earthlings will laugh at you. Mind over Matter. If you don't mind it don't matter.

Whenever I would pickup bulk hazmat, I’d grab extra numbered placards from shipper. Usually 12 of them. Stick 4 on my trailer and leave 8 on top of a/one of the totes so dock can use them if originals got trashed.
I’m sure after picking up in the west, by the time it’s delivered east, there’s one of them orange stickers on delivery trailer...

Grear idea, but not legal.

Grear idea, but not legal.
According to Curtis Carr, the company safety director, it's legal. I even showed him what I was talking about so there would be no misunderstanding. (This was about 5-6 years ago.) And to this point, I haven't had any DOT types say differently. Of course, like every other thing that is ever debated about legal/vs/illegal, it's all subject to interpretation.

According to Curtis Carr, the company safety director, it's legal. I even showed him what I was talking about so there would be no misunderstanding. (This was about 5-6 years ago.) And to this point, I haven't had any DOT types say differently. Of course, like every other thing that is ever debated about legal/vs/illegal, it's all subject to interpretation.
I agree. Done something similar many times. Use the normal hazard class placard with a number panel alongside. Hell, I have used a marker on the back of a placard. No issues