FedEx Freight | Why?

stretchmyline

Stretch Me plz
Credits
Enlighten me... I’ve been with Freight for 15 years and had this question brought to me recently:

Grocery Warehouses
In what what parallel universe does someone order product and expect the carrier to sort upon arrival. That’s like making our customers load and break our trailer at origin and destination if they want their $#!+.

Also, give me a percentage of the fee that’s charged.

Enlighten me... I’ve been with Freight for 15 years and had this question brought to me recently:

Grocery Warehouses
In what what parallel universe does someone order product and expect the carrier to sort upon arrival. That’s like making our customers load and break our trailer at origin and destination if they want their $#!+.

My 2nd day working here i was sent to a grocery warehouse. Never working for a freight company before i had no idea what was expected. Ending up with 24 skids that took 9 hours. Handed keys to boss saying im not a stock boy for grocery company. Luckily I've never had to go back.

We go to Mclane everyday and drivers have to sort and segregate full x van trailer. It usually takes up to 8 hours for the driver to complete this. Fun fun fun

This arrangement goes back to the original Motor Carrier Act from the 1930's which says that a carrier must sort and segregate loads and was written into tariff rules. For some reason (wink wink) it hasn't been updated for modern transit and HOS rules and probably never will. My advice is to take your sweet time and call it good. I was OTR for 18 yrs. before working here so I know what its like but I wasn't making nearly the amount as here to do it.

Grocery Warehouses

Blame your corporate sales people for negotiating as part of the contract to get the freight, that it is delivered to the consignee,”in a sort and segregated order”. It is usually printed right on the BOL. Grocery has gotten away with this forever. Guess the bottom line is, how bad do you need the revenue? If I owned a trucking company, I would tell my entire sales, and dispatch people, if they accept a grocery sort and seg load, they will be fired. As far as charges for the service, again, sales negotiates it. Could be exempt from charges,by hundred weight,by the piece, or a discounted flat rate.

There are some grocery warehouses that won’t even allow drivers on the dock, and you are required to pay a lumper if you want your freight delivered. I totally don’t get it, the grocery warehouse is paying the freight company to haul the freight, yet requiring the freight company to pay a 3rd party at the warehouse to unload the freight. Why not just adjust the rate accordingly and skip the BS?

Grocery Warehouses

I am really surprised that the company would allow a driver to sit at one place and do the lumpers job. We go to a few of these at my center but we just pay the lumper fee.

XPO here. This happens here as well. Often sent to GFS. Offten sent too late to make appointment times. Drivers at my location are expected to break down pallets per TiHi sheets as if they were lumpers. Document all time and how time is spent. Then everything is billed back to shipper.

Meijer's distribution center on the other hand has most of it's shippers pay for lumpers while drivers sit and wait for the sort and seg.

Take your time and pace yourself. Take breaks for saftey sake. After a large amount of manual work take a big break ( for safety ) to allow for cool down and safe driving mindset to return.

I am really surprised that the company would allow a driver to sit at one place and do the lumpers job. We go to a few of these at my center but we just pay the lumper fee.
True, but the FACT is FedEx Freight does NOT really pay the fees. All of these fees are payed by the debtor of the freight bill.

Per FXF 100-S Rules Tariff: https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/FXF_100_Series_Rules_Tariff.pdf

579 LUMPER FEES: "...If FedEx Freight is required by Customer or Consignee to utilize the services of a lumper service to complete pickup and/or delivery in an efficient and cost-effective manner, the fee will be $2.21 cwt., subject to a minimum charge of $30.00 per shipment. 3. Lumper service fees accruing under this item shall be borne by the debtor of the freight bill."

887 Sort and Segregate: "...When Consignor/Consignee requests or when the product terms of sale requires a shipment be sorted or segregated according to size, brand, flavor or other distinguishing characteristics, and placed on Consignee’s dock, pallet or similar device, or if Consignor/Consignee requests the shipment to be reconstructed, and Carrier is able to provide suitable labor to perform the service, the following charges will apply: A. $3.37 per cwt. or $1.28 per piece, whichever produces the higher charge, subject to a minimum charge of $136.00, which shall be billed to the debtor of the shipment. 2. This item will not apply when Consignor tenders shipment in a sorted or segregated manner and so notates on the Bill of Lading, unless Consignee requests additional sorting and segregating. 3. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary that may be contained herein, when the shipment is requested to be sorted or segregated but Consignor fails to tender the shipment in that manner, FedEx Freight, Inc. shall have the right, but not the obligation, to bill the charges to Consignor and such charges shall then be borne by Consignor."

So, once upon a time, under AF, these costs may have been absorbed. I do know that once FedEx started actually charging for these services, we quit getting such freight for the most part. When we still do, it is quite profitable, IMHO. Some we sort and segregate. Others we hire a lumper service. Either way we win ($$$)

True, but the FACT is FedEx Freight does NOT really pay the fees. All of these fees are payed by the debtor of the freight bill.

Per FXF 100-S Rules Tariff: https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/FXF_100_Series_Rules_Tariff.pdf

579 LUMPER FEES: "...If FedEx Freight is required by Customer or Consignee to utilize the services of a lumper service to complete pickup and/or delivery in an efficient and cost-effective manner, the fee will be $2.21 cwt., subject to a minimum charge of $30.00 per shipment. 3. Lumper service fees accruing under this item shall be borne by the debtor of the freight bill."

887 Sort and Segregate: "...When Consignor/Consignee requests or when the product terms of sale requires a shipment be sorted or segregated according to size, brand, flavor or other distinguishing characteristics, and placed on Consignee’s dock, pallet or similar device, or if Consignor/Consignee requests the shipment to be reconstructed, and Carrier is able to provide suitable labor to perform the service, the following charges will apply: A. $3.37 per cwt. or $1.28 per piece, whichever produces the higher charge, subject to a minimum charge of $136.00, which shall be billed to the debtor of the shipment. 2. This item will not apply when Consignor tenders shipment in a sorted or segregated manner and so notates on the Bill of Lading, unless Consignee requests additional sorting and segregating. 3. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary that may be contained herein, when the shipment is requested to be sorted or segregated but Consignor fails to tender the shipment in that manner, FedEx Freight, Inc. shall have the right, but not the obligation, to bill the charges to Consignor and such charges shall then be borne by Consignor."

So, once upon a time, under AF, these costs may have been absorbed. I do know that once FedEx started actually charging for these services, we quit getting such freight for the most part. When we still do, it is quite profitable, IMHO. Some we sort and segregate. Others we hire a lumper service. Either way we win ($$$)
DAMNIT!! . I'm calling Amazon and telling them your Alexa ain't got ::shit:: on our SWAMP.

Our terminal sources out that type of freight to a 3rd party carrier as they don’t want us spending all day at a warehouse breaking down freight as that’s not productive. Same with convention freight