Central Transport | Will CT be a key player in the LTL world in the future?

It seemed like it was only yesterday this outfit had the trashiest equipment on the highway, some of the lowest pay in the industry, borderline useless health insurance, amongst other things. It seemed like nearly overnight all the Sterlings were gone and almost a whole new fleet was on the road. Now I see they have BcBs insurance and p&d hourly rates that rival other major LTL's. I know it's a long shot but so was every major win from sports to politics this past season, anything is possible. Just some food for thought, could CT be the next big thing ?

Short answer is , not in a million years. Same corrupt and inept ownership, they damage 10% of the freight they handle and they don't pay their claims. They also charge about half what any decent LTL carrier charges so they don't make any money. They move about 10500 bills per day across a 48 state network so they have no density to run direct loads. They breakbulk even short haul lanes and their on time service is about 60%. Compare that to XPO, UPS Freight, YRC and FedEx who all move 45,000 bills per day or more.

Short answer is , not in a million years. Same corrupt and inept ownership, they damage 10% of the freight they handle and they don't pay their claims. They also charge about half what any decent LTL carrier charges so they don't make any money. They move about 10500 bills per day across a 48 state network so they have no density to run direct loads. They breakbulk even short haul lanes and their on time service is about 60%. Compare that to XPO, UPS Freight, YRC and FedEx who all move 45,000 bills per day or more.
:smilie93c peelout::shhit: CT at work :horseshit:

To be fair... That sounds like a recipe for success in LTL.

It seemed like it was only yesterday this outfit had the trashiest equipment on the highway, some of the lowest pay in the industry, borderline useless health insurance, amongst other things. It seemed like nearly overnight all the Sterlings were gone and almost a whole new fleet was on the road. Now I see they have BcBs insurance and p&d hourly rates that rival other major LTL's. I know it's a long shot but so was every major win from sports to politics this past season, anything is possible. Just some food for thought, could CT be the next big thing ?
Have you seen some of your new equipment lately? It's looking like your old equipment just saying! I've talked to a few of your new castle Delaware drivers and they hate the place, Their only there for some experience and moving on

I would bet that I see more CT trucks broke down on the side of the road in the average month than all the other LTLs combined. Those brand new trucks won't last forever without regular maintenance.

Hell to the NO. As long as this trailer trash company is owned and funded by the Maroun family it will be what it always has been, a corrupt money laundering three legged horse in the Kentucky Derby. This company charges 60% of what other reputable firms charge to haul goods. Not a bad deal at all until they destroy your freight and never pay the claims. Playing with fire when you use this $hitbag carrier. They also treat us employees like $hit, always have, always will.

I worked for them for a few years and the only thing I got out of it was great friends and that’s all. If freight drops too low for them they’ll start closing terminals again and many people will be out of job again.

This response makes absolutely no sense. All the mentioned LTL company's are losing money except Fed-Ex and Central has been around longer then all of them. I would say those are pretty good odds. I still find it funny that it continues to be you same sorry a__ ex drivers on here complaining over and over. It must get lonely not having any current drivers jump on your little train. Lol

Well, I finally jumped ship. Best of luck to the guys who are staying, but I've had it with the trashed equipment. I don't know where all the new stuff is winding up, but it sure wasn't anywhere near our barn. We couldn't even get oil changes and inspections done.

Things at the new carrier are so much different. No angry chaos in the terminal, equipment that's taken care of, DIRECT FUGHIN' DEPOSIT, and the management treats drivers like an asset.

CT better get it together quick. They need to start by firing a bunch of people in the corporate office, and get rid of the crap trailers. That would be a start.

And, at least around me, they need to start paying a competitive wage. Right now, they're the lowest paid LTL that isn't a small regional, and even the one lower than CT is pretty close. Plus, they pay OT at 40.

I've never had a 2 week notice feel like it took a month to complete.

I had a great TM, and I wish him best of luck finding new drivers. He's fighting an uphill battle, and corporate is placing all the blame on him. Guy deserves better. I've watched the fights he's had, and even been a part of a few of them.
We just hired a guy in Milwaukee that came from Sutton. He says the most he ever made running the road for them was 750-900 dollars per week. Our road drivers make at least 40% per week more then that. What terminal only paid 22 per hr? That's lower then most out terminals start at.

This response makes absolutely no sense. All the mentioned LTL company's are losing money except Fed-Ex and Central has been around longer then all of them. I would say those are pretty good odds. I still find it funny that it continues to be you same sorry a__ ex drivers on here complaining over and over. It must get lonely not having any current drivers jump on your little train. Lol

You must don’t read every company reports on earnings I see. OD is the fastest moving company out right now doing the best in profits. And the company I work for is doing great right now

We just hired a guy in Milwaukee that came from Sutton. He says the most he ever made running the road for them was 750-900 dollars per week. Our road drivers make at least 40% per week more then that. What terminal only paid 22 per hr? That's lower then most out terminals start at.

That’s what Brooklyn starts out with still and that was the rate when my friend worked there 8 years ago

Xpo is not losing money! They are just not giving there drivers a fair shake on pay.

Actually Ups freight is doing quite well.
UPS Freight revenue rose 11% to $758 million. Operating income was $142 million.
Pulled directly from our 2017 Q4 earnings report

xBjKZLE.jpg

Most of these companies are doing great.

Good points, continuous improvement is the key.
Heck look at YRC some have been claiming their demise for a decade but they remain. Equipment is unsafe trash, extremely low pay, filthy terminals, and essentially on life support. But they remain a factor and and anchor on the industry while driving down wages and pricing.
Hay if CT can make it, hats off to them...

CT has made several changes for the better. Drivers are a lot happier and insurance is accepted nationwide. Mr. Matt Maroun is driving this truck straight to the top. Trucks are being replaced every 3 years and over 2000 trailers have been purchased in the last year. Keep it going CT and Thank You.
Accepted nationwide yes.But blue cross blue shield is just the adminstrator.Meaning you can go to anybody in there network.The bills are still paid with cherokee insurance co.Read your statement of whats paid.Still the same old high high deductables.At 90.00 a week contibution per pay check per person.Funny how central transport owner also owns cherokee insurance.Matty moroon has the reputation for a reason and him and his companys will never change for the better.

Not going to get specific, but if you’re in Milwaukee it ain’t hard to figure out which did. They finally just jacked up the base rate, but good luck getting all the pay for hours worked. Too little too late.

Plus, there still the broken equipment and worlds worst maintenance program, which, if you’re in Milwaukee you should be all to familiar with and you’re ignoring the problem. I know that terminal well. Tell Rob I said hi.

As for the Sutton driver you got, not sure who he pissed off, but those are light weeks for me on day side, and our road drivers are also hourly. Plus, we pay OT. I’m bringing home more at Sutton than CT, our equipment is awesome, and I’ve never seen a company treat drivers this good. Quality of life is very important, too, which is something you will NEVER have at CT. My guess is you got the guy we fired for screwing with his phone while driving... Then you have the fact that we’re not glorified dock workers, and no forced weekends, at a loss in actual pay thanks to the BS per mile rate. Yeah....

I worked at CT for many years. I’ve seen everything they could offer, and it all sucked. Half the reason I stayed as long as I did was because of a couple really solid dudes who TRIED to do the right thing, and kept getting shot down by corporate morons.

I still talk to some friends I made at CT. Those new trucks are having tons of problems, and they’re a nightmare with road service still. I’m finished with those days.

I promised our RERM I wouldn’t recruit guys out of CT, and I’ve stuck to that. But I will flat out tell you, I’ve talked several guys out of leaving Sutton to go there, just by showing them a few pictures.

To be honest even if I made a few dollars less a week (I don’t), the difference in treatment and environment is worth it.

CT can **** off. At least until some major management changes are made, and real improvements happen.

That company needs a giant upper management purge!

Keep Andy Campbell though, he’s a solid dude and was always as helpful as he could be. The rest can go.

Not going to get specific, but if you’re in Milwaukee it ain’t hard to figure out which did. They finally just jacked up the base rate, but good luck getting all the pay for hours worked. Too little too late.

Plus, there still the broken equipment and worlds worst maintenance program, which, if you’re in Milwaukee you should be all to familiar with and you’re ignoring the problem. I know that terminal well. Tell Rob I said hi.

As for the Sutton driver you got, not sure who he pissed off, but those are light weeks for me on day side, and our road drivers are also hourly. Plus, we pay OT. I’m bringing home more at Sutton than CT, our equipment is awesome, and I’ve never seen a company treat drivers this good. Quality of life is very important, too, which is something you will NEVER have at CT. My guess is you got the guy we fired for screwing with his phone while driving... Then you have the fact that we’re not glorified dock workers, and no forced weekends, at a loss in actual pay thanks to the BS per mile rate. Yeah....

I worked at CT for many years. I’ve seen everything they could offer, and it all sucked. Half the reason I stayed as long as I did was because of a couple really solid dudes who TRIED to do the right thing, and kept getting shot down by corporate morons.

I still talk to some friends I made at CT. Those new trucks are having tons of problems, and they’re a nightmare with road service still. I’m finished with those days.

I promised our RERM I wouldn’t recruit guys out of CT, and I’ve stuck to that. But I will flat out tell you, I’ve talked several guys out of leaving Sutton to go there, just by showing them a few pictures.

To be honest even if I made a few dollars less a week (I don’t), the difference in treatment and environment is worth it.

CT can **** off. At least until some major management changes are made, and real improvements happen.

That company needs a giant upper management purge!

Keep Andy Campbell though, he’s a solid dude and was always as helpful as he could be. The rest can go.
All tractors and all city peddles have been replaced with new equipment. As long as you tell someone that you need service you get get it. Central runs barebones but I am okay with that. Hell the drivers have received 7 dollars per hour increase over the past 2 years. Drivers start out at 27 per hour and top out at 30 per hour after 4 years. That very good. The people who chose to have everything done for them without saying anything can't talk. These are our assigned units so we know better what's happening then anyone. As far as the issues with the new trucks, yes they are all having them np matter what brand you purchase. ( thanks to the government and all there sensors). I am glad your happy but CT has definitly made huge improvements with several more to come.