SEFL | Will Southeastern ever pay overtime

Dick Dastardly

Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!
Credits
Anyone think that, outside of government intervention, that the Cassels will do the honorable, Christian thing, and stop exploiting their employees and pay overtime?

It’s all wrapped up in the long term security part of the quality pyramid. Every time we ask for more they point to “long term” portion . The phrase “if you don’t like it here then you should probably go elsewhere” typically enters that conversation too

The only way southern ltl based carriers will do OT is if it’s made law or bargained collectively

It would be interesting to see Southeastern's reaction to a Union drive. A lot of guys would be scared proclaiming that they will close this terminal and that terminal etc, but in the 21st century with the national labor relations board that's just impossible. I'd just be curious to see what concessions they'd give in order to stave off an organizing push. It will never happen here, but it would be interesting to watch.

Expanding on that, sefl doesn’t want to go outside the sunbelt for the very reason that unions may get a foothold and cost them tons more money

Last time there was a vote at sefl was nearly 20 years ago. Owners said “ vote yes and I’ll shut the doors”. Vote was no

That will never happen today. It's too bad men didn't call his bluff 20 years ago because I don't believe he would have done it. It's illegal for him to do that and even illegal for him to threaten to do it. He wouldn't get away with in this day and age.

If things continue the way they are now though, and with him falling behind in pay and benefits and treating the employees the way they do, he may be facing a Union push in the Sunbelt.