SEFL | Will Southeastern ever pay overtime

Anyone think that, outside of government intervention, that the Cassels will do the honorable, Christian thing, and stop exploiting their employees and pay overtime?
If they were forced to, there would be, "unintended consequences ". Drivers now getting 50-60 hours a week, would get hours cut, hence a pay cut to avoid overtime. More drivers hired and the cost structure goes up, with more benefits the company will pay. Less profit. Less chance of raises seen recently . Be careful what you ask for!!!!,

If they were forced to, there would be, "unintended consequences ". Drivers now getting 50-60 hours a week, would get hours cut, hence a pay cut to avoid overtime. More drivers hired and the cost structure goes up, with more benefits the company will pay. Less profit. Less chance of raises seen recently . Be careful what you ask for!!!!,

No, that is simply not true. It would be cheaper to pay drivers overtime than hire those extra drivers. Your post sounds like something right out of the company playbook. That's what they want you to believe but don't let them fool you.

The way I see it is, if the company can't afford to pay the help a fair market wage and overtime after 8/40, then they can't afford to be in business.

Why would you hire another driver and be stuck with having to pay benefits and work them into a rotation? Makes no financial sense. Cheaper to work your present help OT than hire more

Why would you hire another driver and be stuck with having to pay benefits and work them into a rotation? Makes no financial sense. Cheaper to work your present help OT than hire more

Absolutely. When you factor in the percentage of a 401k match etc. Now that they have recieived this massive windfall of a tax cut they most certainly can do better.

Anyone think that, outside of government intervention, that the Cassels will do the honorable, Christian thing, and stop exploiting their employees and pay overtime?
I worry about you Richard when you ask a question like that. Are you running a fever, or feeling a little under the weather? That might explain it. Ya left out Divine intervention. There is hope after all. von.

"I am not a Labor Leader; I do not want you to follow me or anyone else; if you are looking for a Moses to lead you out of this capitalist wilderness, you will stay right where you are. I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I led you in, some one else would lead you out."

Eugene V. Debs

Who's got a Sundrop I can drink to put me outta my misery??

These two ol' boys was pissin' off a bridge one day. One was from South Carolina, and the other 'n was from California. Ol' boy from California said "Man, that water sure looks cold." Ol' boy from South Carolina says, "It is cold. It's deep too."

Last edited:
The way I feel about it is....

I came into the company knowing they didn't pay overtime. It would be my own fault to set here and gripe and moan that they don't pay OT, I shouldn't have took the job if I expected or wanted it. If were to change my mind years later and say to myself "I think i deserve OT", well then I'll go find a job that does because obviously they haven't paid it before and I doubt they'll change it anytime soon. If one day they come up and say they'll start paying it, I'm sure people will find a way to complain about that too, it's human nature to complain.

Moving into L/H so if they started paying OT today I don't know what impact it would have on me.

The way I feel about it is....

I came into the company knowing they didn't pay overtime. It would be my own fault to set here and gripe and moan that they don't pay OT, I shouldn't have took the job if I expected or wanted it. If were to change my mind years later and say to myself "I think i deserve OT", well then I'll go find a job that does because obviously they haven't paid it before and I doubt they'll change it anytime soon. If one day they come up and say they'll start paying it, I'm sure people will find a way to complain about that too, it's human nature to complain.

Moving into L/H so if they started paying OT today I don't know what impact it would have on me.
I was misled about the OT by the scm hiring me. Stayed anyway. It’s a better deal here than some, worse than some too. Is it wrong to want to better my financial situation by wanting OT? Of course we complain about it. The company could do more but doesn’t. I can ask for more. They don’t have to give it. Like it or leave it? Yes, but you will never get anything without asking. So we say we want it.

You guys in this overtime mess let’s figure some numbers here just ball park figures of course and exclude UPS so the YRCW organization paying top pay at 21$ a hour * by 40 is 840$ add 20 hours of OT at 31.50 for 20 hours is 630$ add those together you get 1470$ now a ball park figure of say southeastern Fedex r&l Estes saia just to name a few at 28$ a hour again ball park figure at 60 hour work week is 1680$ For a 210$ a week difference now that being said a guy at Yrcw can only work 60 hours a week by union rules and no offense driving a POS down the road now over at ABF them guys don’t see much OT but some do at locations so just think about these numbers broke down it’s a simple thought

It would be interesting to see Southeastern's reaction to a Union drive. A lot of guys would be scared proclaiming that they will close this terminal and that terminal etc, but in the 21st century with the national labor relations board that's just impossible. I'd just be curious to see what concessions they'd give in order to stave off an organizing push. It will never happen here, but it would be interesting to watch.
It want that long ago ATL tried that and Tobin and Bill got in the car drove across 20 all the way to south side and told them guys they could do that but Freight would be ran around them forcing them to close the terminal and also on top of that Richmond had a shop back in the day guess what a few shop guys thought about the union idea they proceed with it when Bill found out well they drove up to Richmond changed the locks fired the shop guys told them a shop was no longer needed in Richmond due to Raleigh and rocky mount right down the road so they have done it in the past

It want that long ago ATL tried that and Tobin and Bill got in the car drove across 20 all the way to south side and told them guys they could do that but Freight would be ran around them forcing them to close the terminal and also on top of that Richmond had a shop back in the day guess what a few shop guys thought about the union idea they proceed with it when Bill found out well they drove up to Richmond changed the locks fired the shop guys told them a shop was no longer needed in Richmond due to Raleigh and rocky mount right down the road so they have done it in the past
Valid points. That’s why it would need to be company wide to work