XPO | Winter Driving

Dodge Ram

TB Veteran
Credits
Well here we go again, old man winter is coming. The Con-Way winter driving scare tactics are posted. Since there are alot of new members I am going to repost the winter driving rule in the FMCSA. This is in the binder that the company has. It is not in the little green book http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...r/fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkkey=090163348002327Part 392.14: Driving of commercial motor vehicles - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration It don't matter if there is passangers or not. This link was given to me by a PUCO Commercial Officer. Don't let Con-Way bully you.http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu.../fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkkey=090163348002327f

Well here we go again, old man winter is coming. The Con-Way winter driving scare tactics are posted. Since there are alot of new members I am going to repost the winter driving rule in the FMCSA. This is in the binder that the company has. It is not in the little green book http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...r/fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkkey=090163348002327Part 392.14: Driving of commercial motor vehicles - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration It don't matter if there is passangers or not. This link was given to me by a PUCO Commercial Officer. Don't let Con-Way bully you.http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu.../fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkkey=090163348002327f

Thanks, but what those links state is 180 degrees different then what Conway wants us to do in bad weather. I should do what Conway sez because they know better and besides; If something bad were to happen, they would cover my back and get me a lawyer.

Just in case you weren't just funnin me. If something goes wrong Conway will shove you out the plane as fast as it can. They do not back -up anyone; maybe in the past not now.

Just in case you weren't just funnin me. If something goes wrong Conway will shove you out the plane as fast as it can. They do not back -up anyone; maybe in the past not now.

No, no. I am pretty damn sure he was just funnin you! But yes, it is all about CYA!

You don't want to be the only weenie that pulls over cause of a few snow flakes either. New guy's just need to know their limitations. Black ice, high winds, light load, and deteriorating weather conditions were the factors the only time I shut it down at Con-way much to my city dispatchers dismay. Turned out I was right. Day line-haul runs that left when I did with 40,000 lbs were stranded at XMI for two days.

Thanks, but what those links state is 180 degrees different then what Conway wants us to do in bad weather. I should do what Conway sez because they know better and besides; If something bad were to happen, they would cover my back and get me a lawyer.

Just like they did for Pete S..... (XDY)

Rat

You don't want to be the only weenie that pulls over cause of a few snow flakes either. New guy's just need to know their limitations. Black ice, high winds, light load, and deteriorating weather conditions were the factors the only time I shut it down at Con-way much to my city dispatchers dismay. Turned out I was right. Day line-haul runs that left when I did with 40,000 lbs were stranded at XMI for two days.

Yes, it is a gut call. ULH had me pull an empty and the wind warnings were out. They did everything but threaten my wife that if I didn't pull it there were going to be consequences in the morning. I told him that if he was willing to get in that empty trailer I would be willing to pull it. Threatened to turn me around and send me home. I told him okay but I wouldn't pull empties that way either. Well, left with one and a gear and got up the road about 10 miles and a truck and long box laying on it's side. My point here is that it is a gut call and you have to make it and stand behind it. They will brow beat you into submission.....if you let them. Remember, you are ultimately responsible for what you do.

Yes, it is a gut call. ULH had me pull an empty and the wind warnings were out. They did everything but threaten my wife that if I didn't pull it there were going to be consequences in the morning. I told him that if he was willing to get in that empty trailer I would be willing to pull it. Threatened to turn me around and send me home. I told him okay but I wouldn't pull empties that way either. Well, left with one and a gear and got up the road about 10 miles and a truck and long box laying on it's side. My point here is that it is a gut call and you have to make it and stand behind it. They will brow beat you into submission.....if you let them. Remember, you are ultimately responsible for what you do.

Seems to me, we just went over this didn't we?

(STAA) Surface Transportation Assistance Act

Federal Regulations code [49 C.F.R. 392.14]

Drivers have the legal right to refuse driving in slippery conditions.

You have to remember that it has to be a legitimate reason like a snow storm dropping 12" of snow.

The STAA says nothing about how many inches of snow must fall. What it does say is.........

1) A driver may refuse to start work if the weather is sufficiently hazardous at or near the time he is scheduled to begin as to make it unsafe to operate a commercial vehicle on the highways.

2) A driver cannot speculate unreasonably into the future regarding what the road conditions will be beyond a few hours.

3) A refusal to drive do to adverse road conditions must be reasonable. The refusal should be based on the drivers personal observations, weather reports from radio and television, call to the Department of Transportation or Highway Patrol, if possible, and information received from other drivers if such information is available.

The United States Code of Federal Regulations [49 C.F.R. 392.14]

Yeah that was not a fun time watching 2 big road supper truckers wipe out behind me! Then stuck in XMI for 2 days really sucked and they kept sending drivers out when they had multiple drivers stuck on a shutdown road what a :nutkick:

Yeah that was not a fun time watching 2 big road supper truckers wipe out behind me! Then stuck in XMI for 2 days really sucked and they kept sending drivers out when they had multiple drivers stuck on a shutdown road what a :nutkick:

That is standard operating procedure I think. It is your call on shutting it down no matter what they say just be advised you will be threatened. Kind of a catch 22 really

Well here we go again, old man winter is coming. The Con-Way winter driving scare tactics are posted. Since there are alot of new members I am going to repost the winter driving rule in the FMCSA. This is in the binder that the company has. It is not in the little green book - Federal Motor Carrier Safety AdministrationPart 392.14: Driving of commercial motor vehicles - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration It don't matter if there is passangers or not. This link was given to me by a PUCO Commercial Officer. Don't let Con-Way bully you.Interpretation for Part 392.14: Hazardous conditions; extreme caution. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
i have to ask, has anyone out there had the ba--s to use this at a time when it was warrented. if so what, were there any reprocusions for utilizing this law

i have to ask, has anyone out there had the ba--s to use this at a time when it was warrented. if so what, were there any reprocusions for utilizing this law
Good question considering some of our most recent weather.

A couple of years ago when most of the Great Lakes had a snow storm, I called and I got a argument. After everything was said and done they shut down operations that night and day. They cannot fire you for refusing to put yourself into a UNSAFE situation.

A couple of years ago when most of the Great Lakes had a snow storm, I called and I got a argument. After everything was said and done they shut down operations that night and day. They cannot fire you for refusing to put yourself into a UNSAFE situation.

They can't do anything to you if you think it is unsafe to operate a vehicle.

One thing that is very important, you have to really have a ligament reason for shutting it down and then you have to be strong with your decision. Do not waffle because then your word means nothing. If you think it is bad enough to shut down for what ever reason, then you have to stick to your guns and don't let someone talk you out of it.

Remember, your word is only as good as you make it.

I talked with a friend of mine that crossed Iowa today on I-80.

He said it looked like a war zone.

Hey Bankrupt, I know it's got to be cold out there...In fact, Hell is probably frozen over....The Browns won a game..lol:nutkick::Off-Topic::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Hell is still toasty warm and there is no Blue Moon this month. But Cleveland is in shock.

It was bitter cold and Brady Quinn is 1 and 0 against the arch rival Steelers. We may finish the season at 1 and 15.