ABF | Working At Sauk Village

The Tuna

TB Lurker
Credits
I may have an opportunity to drive for ABF. Was wondering if they are working road drivers on the extra board pretty good? I don’t want to make the change just to sit around and only get called once a week. Thanks

You're pretty close to Chicago........Weather hasn't been the greatest......I think you'd do good if they hired you this time of year....reasonably good, anyway.
I'm not from Chicago,.....I retired from a terminal near Pittsburgh.......But the bulk of our freight came out of Chicago area.

Hopefully, someone from the Windy will get on here....

You're pretty close to Chicago........Weather hasn't been the greatest......I think you'd do good if they hired you this time of year....reasonably good, anyway.
I'm not from Chicago,.....I retired from a terminal near Pittsburgh.......But the bulk of our freight came out of Chicago area.

Hopefully, someone from the Windy will get on here....

At one time the company was advertising for drivers here because they wasn't enough qualified applicants to fill the positions.

At one time the company was advertising for drivers here because they wasn't enough qualified applicants to fill the positions.

Ahh.........When you shrug and say the pension problems of your employees are....not your problem....
......and you hang a non-negotiated driver-facing camera in employee’s faces......
.......and you “hire” a family man and tell him he’s on call for the next few years with no guarantees.......
......you’re not really trying to attract....”qualified applicants “......

Just park in employee parking and go to the top floor of the building where the trucks enter and leave the terminal. The top floor is the drivers room on the west side. No one will check for an employee ID. You can talk to the drivers there and ask them what it is like if you can find someone that has started in the last year. The drivers that have been driving for 5 or more years are clueless as to what it is like to be a new hire within the last year. Go around midnight to 1:00 AM since that is a likely time for many of your starts.

The gate at 309 is only 104” wide. If you don’t fold in your mirrors when leaving, you lose em.

Mirrors are widely overrated anyway....Who needs 'em? ....Nothing happens behind the back wall of the cab anyway......

Having mirrors just makes me nervous.......and interferes with me looking Neat on my Seat.......

Chin Out, Wide Smile, .....and a Minimum of Grinding from that Big Stick on the Floor.......

Mirrors are widely overrated anyway....Who needs 'em? ....Nothing happens behind the back wall of the cab anyway......

Having mirrors just makes me nervous.......and interferes with me looking Neat on my Seat.......

Chin Out, Wide Smile, .....and a Minimum of Grinding from that Big Stick on the Floor.......
None of the new ones have that big stick on the floor! They're all automatics now. Can't hire anybody that can shift gears.

None of the new ones have that big stick on the floor! They're all automatics now. Can't hire anybody that can shift gears.

Where the Heck can I hang my Trucker Hat?......Ain't allowed to put it on the camera........Can't put it on the dash, cause I let all the air outta the seat........
I'll bet they even got rid of that "footrest" third pedal next to the brake .........

Where the Heck can I hang my Trucker Hat?......Ain't allowed to put it on the camera........Can't put it on the dash, cause I let all the air outta the seat........
I'll bet they even got rid of that "footrest" third pedal next to the brake .........
You can hang it on the ultra bright new cellphone/eld’s. I just bring a plunger with a big dildo glued to the end. Works great and my wife wants me to come home every night! LOL

Funny you should say that. When I was working at CFCC Toledo Breakbulk they started running triples out of there. Brought some new Internationals with power steering to pull the trips. That was something special every one on the dock and yard thought till one night I asked one of the line drivers what it was like to run up and down the toll road with the shiny new Cornbinders with power steering and three of Mr. Beams hand lettered trailers stretched out behind. He said the secret was, once you got through the cash box , never look in your mirrors because the power steering and the trail pup will give you nightmares!