1. All employers have a social media policy, Your identity is UNKNOWN on Truckingboards unless you reveal it somehow yourself. When you post to Facebook Trucking Groups, everybody knows your name. Think about it.

ABF Working At Sauk Village

Discussion in 'ABF Freight System' started by The Tuna, Jan 12, 2020.

1. The Tuna

The Tuna New Member

Driver Since:
    I may have an opportunity to drive for ABF. Was wondering if they are working road drivers on the extra board pretty good? I don’t want to make the change just to sit around and only get called once a week. Thanks

LTLAnonymous likes this.
  2. canaryinthemine

canaryinthemine Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!

Driver Since:
    You're pretty close to Chicago........Weather hasn't been the greatest......I think you'd do good if they hired you this time of year....reasonably good, anyway.
    I'm not from Chicago,.....I retired from a terminal near Pittsburgh.......But the bulk of our freight came out of Chicago area.

Hopefully, someone from the Windy will get on here....

LTLAnonymous and The Tuna like this.
  3. DCM_Doc

DCM_Doc Well-Known Member

At one time the company was advertising for drivers here because they wasn't enough qualified applicants to fill the positions.

4. canaryinthemine

Driver Since:

Ahh.........When you shrug and say the pension problems of your employees are....not your problem....
    ......and you hang a non-negotiated driver-facing camera in employee’s faces......
    .......and you “hire” a family man and tell him he’s on call for the next few years with no guarantees.......
    ......you’re not really trying to attract....”qualified applicants “......

LTLAnonymous, The Tuna, Jaloc and 7 others like this.
  5. Trucker 206

Trucker 206 Well-Known Member

Imagine that!

6. Sumting Wong

Sumting Wong Active Member

Sauk Village is 036SCH AKA South Chicago.... Road board is around 250.... I can't tell you how they are running there currently but my terminal is slooooow....

7. canaryinthemine

Driver Since:

Hopefully, just seasonally.......I was always under the assumption that 036-SCH was pretty stable year round. Like 042-CAR......

8. trucker1979

trucker1979 Member

South Chicago is a pretty busy terminal. I would think u would work pretty well. They are the only terminal hiring right now. FYI south Chicago is 034. Take care

9. canaryinthemine

Driver Since:

Ahh,......Bingo!......Retirement turns your brain to ....mush, you know.....034 it is.

Good to know they're hiring.

10. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Part time Moldavian Uber driver

Driver Since:
    Just make sure and tell that guy if he misses the driveway into ABF, he will end up in the, Ridge South.(309) PS. Watch for mirrors laying on the road.

11. canaryinthemine

Driver Since:

Sounds like............there's a little story here.............

What happened? Did your drag chute fail to deploy?

12. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Part time Moldavian Uber driver

Driver Since:
    The gate at 309 is only 104” wide. If you don’t fold in your mirrors when leaving, you lose em.

13. useless

useless Active Member

forget about the wide load of portable bathrooms coming in the yard .guess you'll have to walk out to the street to use or go without

14. Sumting Wong

Sumting Wong Active Member

Just park in employee parking and go to the top floor of the building where the trucks enter and leave the terminal. The top floor is the drivers room on the west side. No one will check for an employee ID. You can talk to the drivers there and ask them what it is like if you can find someone that has started in the last year. The drivers that have been driving for 5 or more years are clueless as to what it is like to be a new hire within the last year. Go around midnight to 1:00 AM since that is a likely time for many of your starts.

15. canaryinthemine

Driver Since:

Mirrors are widely overrated anyway....Who needs 'em? ....Nothing happens behind the back wall of the cab anyway......

Having mirrors just makes me nervous.......and interferes with me looking Neat on my Seat.......

Chin Out, Wide Smile, .....and a Minimum of Grinding from that Big Stick on the Floor.......

16. grovercxl

grovercxl HUH?

None of the new ones have that big stick on the floor! They're all automatics now. Can't hire anybody that can shift gears.

17. canaryinthemine

Driver Since:

Where the Heck can I hang my Trucker Hat?......Ain't allowed to put it on the camera........Can't put it on the dash, cause I let all the air outta the seat........
    I'll bet they even got rid of that "footrest" third pedal next to the brake .........

LTLAnonymous, grovercxl and The Tuna like this.
  18. SAC75

SAC75 Well-Known Member

You can hang it on the ultra bright new cellphone/eld’s. I just bring a plunger with a big dildo glued to the end. Works great and my wife wants me to come home every night! LOL

19. gravytrain1

gravytrain1 ABF Road Driver

034 is tough starting out ,working every week end. Sit at home thru week. Many of the drivers try to stay out for 3 or 4 days when they get out.free insurance ,good pay and retirement.it will take 1 year ,for you to get established, with people behind you or maybe two years.hope this will help you out.

20. Ted Decker trk

Ted Decker trk When things are FUBAR, FIDO!

Driver Since:
    1987 (legally)
    Funny you should say that. When I was working at CFCC Toledo Breakbulk they started running triples out of there. Brought some new Internationals with power steering to pull the trips. That was something special every one on the dock and yard thought till one night I asked one of the line drivers what it was like to run up and down the toll road with the shiny new Cornbinders with power steering and three of Mr. Beams hand lettered trailers stretched out behind. He said the secret was, once you got through the cash box , never look in your mirrors because the power steering and the trail pup will give you nightmares!

LTLAnonymous likes this.