Working on Saturday

Saturday work? Not here, LOL. Well, not for us shuttle yard drivers anyway, we can't bid on Saturday work, LOL.

Saturdays, especially during the summer is definitely not for working. Make me work like a slave M-F, but my weekends are sacred.

I work every Saturday, I like it, the load is light, I have a day where I can many times get done in under 8 hours so no sitting around for a half hour lunch for no pay. We don't deliver on Sundays, the problem is trying to find out when my other day off is, or if they'll try to make me work six days. The problem has gotten so bad that I've sworn an oath never to bid a 4 day or a non M-F route again.

I work every Saturday, I like it, the load is light, I have a day where I can many times get done in under 8 hours so no sitting around for a half hour lunch for no pay. We don't deliver on Sundays, the problem is trying to find out when my other day off is, or if they'll try to make me work six days. The problem has gotten so bad that I've sworn an oath never to bid a 4 day or a non M-F route again.

We have 4 day routes where I work, that's where it's at the one guy I worked with one day has a 4 day route and it's not a bad route at all it's on the east side, but he goes to the same city and town every day knows all the customers knows how to get in and out he's usually done by 1-2pm that's where it's at.

I work every holiday. Sat and Sun are my bid. But I don't mind too bad, it weeds out those who think they want into the Grocery hauling business. "You mean I gotta work on Thanksgiving? I quit!"...and another one bites the dust. When I go in and work 6 hours and make that much money? Why not? I enjoy these young guys who find it so unfair that they have to work on holidays. "I got kids to raise, I can't be gone for all these holidays".

Like it was any different for us in the good ol days. Dragging milk was far worse in the good ol days and I have the scars to prove it! LOL! Flaousblat!

Yup, foodservice always works holidays. Remember my route started at 0001 am day after thanksgiving, gotta love it! Pulling tankers, you work holiday and weekends too. It's hard to get around it if you wanna be home instead of Otr. The companies know this. Unless you want to make crap money you got to work the odd hours and days in trucking.

Lol I didn't know I had to specify. Sorry I'll remember that next time

Yes, please clarify in the future. It will help all those drivers that want to go local, LOL. If they read what you wrote, they would be under the impression that freight doesn't run on weekends when you work local and when they find out the truth, they will drive to MN and lynch you, LOL. And not all food service companies work weekends either. That, like LTL freight, varies company to company and terminal to terminal. ;-)

And if I don't give you some @^*% on here, what good am I. LOL

Lol you give me crap every where. I'm use to it. Most of the time when you start at a food service companies you have to work Saturdays until you can bid off of it. My buddy finally wised up and is getting out of food service. He's joining me at Saia

Lol you give me crap every where. I'm use to it. Most of the time when you start at a food service companies you have to work Saturdays until you can bid off of it. My buddy finally wised up and is getting out of food service. He's joining me at Saia

Depends on the company. Last company we did no Saturday work. No trucks ran on Saturday. Here we make no deliveries on Saturday also.

We run some on Saturday, mostly in a situation where they're trying to be "clever". We had 3 route drivers, 2 would go out on Saturday for a 14 hour thunder run (Junior guy every week and the 2 senior trading off). Junior guy quit and they made it into a layover route running from the barn.

Only Holidays they shut down for are Christmas and New Years (and because of the nature of the business I usually am running on those days). Still work the same number of days in the week. I'd really rather they didn't because usually everything's screwed up all week long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moneyman01 most LTL linehaul run weekends unless you work your way up to a bid like years on years. You got lucky with your terminal and location. My company and all the big LTL's they run over the weekend. I see Saia out there too. When I worked foodservice weekends were off. They had routes running over the weekend Saturday only but I think they were bid stuff and extra stuff that some guys would always take to make extra money. We'd work Saturdays once and awhile.

Estes and saia here in mn don't really have any weekend runs. Estes has some Tuesday to Saturday bids but there day time. Here at Saia we have 1 Saturday run but that's a volunteer run and we have 1 bid that's Tuesday thru Saturday. Unfortunately it's a night bid