SAIA | Would be nice if company scratched our back every once in a while

Not to pick on you Jocky but these are the kind of comments that city drivers laugh at. It’s a bit of arrogance! Some city drivers fall into this category I’m sure but many are very capable of doing your job. I ran linehaul for many years at my previous job so I understand where you’re coming from. Let me say that in general linehaul drivers are a different breed. Many are loners with some strange personalities. Many are reclusive and very odd. Perhaps that’s what happens when your social skills are limited. All that windshield time takes it’s toll on some. I’m not trying to stereotype you guys but some of the strangest guys I ever met came from linehaul. City has some weird ones too, but linehaul drivers stand alone as being a bit reclusive and odd.

Umm rat I was a city driver for 12 years at my previous employer and for 6 years at saia believe me I know the drill and it’s no arrogance that’s just the way it is at my yard. The city drivers absolutely hate running Linehaul until they get behind on their bills or until it’s vaca or Christmas time then they fight over who’s gonna get to work

Not to pick on you Jocky but these are the kind of comments that city drivers laugh at. It’s a bit of arrogance! Some city drivers fall into this category I’m sure but many are very capable of doing your job. I ran linehaul for many years at my previous job so I understand where you’re coming from. Let me say that in general linehaul drivers are a different breed. Many are loners with some strange personalities. Many are reclusive and very odd. Perhaps that’s what happens when your social skills are limited. All that windshield time takes it’s toll on some. I’m not trying to stereotype you guys but some of the strangest guys I ever met came from linehaul. City has some weird ones too, but linehaul drivers stand alone as being a bit reclusive and odd.
So that’s why I am the way I am. This explains a lot!

Well I’m back to give the Davey28 spin( no pun intended)on it after a hilarious read. Just curious PW(pun intended) what side are you playing on this, the woe is me or the “winning”, I’m banking it? Just pick one. Not both. And your list of things don’t add up at all. You get paid for every single one of those except possibly a dot inspection. You can surely make that half hour up with your extra $6 drops that takes a whole 10 minutes at most( thats $60 an hour chump change right) You do get pd for fueling, it’s included in your 45 min D&H pay(look it up) and many more. I do think you get screwed on meets, would never do it. Still worth $400+ a day though right, nah. I’ve been on both sides of this rat race too, woopde do, nobody cares. Just like nobody cares when a guy punches you square in the chest for showing up a half hour b4 his close time, or another special flower who pulled back on me for refusing to haul his freight down a flight of stairs.Or picking up 10000 inserts that fell over when it’s 100+degrees because the lazy dockman couldn’t put a strap on it. And let’s not forget the Starbucks yuppies shoulder checking you to get there CRAPiotos and all this company wants to know is why it took you so long. Worked with a ripped shoulder and knee tugging on freight that had no business being in a box.Hard to feel your pain. I would gladly give back 1.5 hours of pay for this not to happen. City by choice. So when I got a chance to look out the window on a Saturday run with no worries because no one would, it felt damn good. Didn’t really want to go down this path of ridiculousness because of friends I have in linehaul but oh well, this ain’t for them and they know it. Sacrifice for family isn’t just limited to a hotel room 2 states away, couldn’t tell you how many special events I missed of my kids growing up when I was working local. Even times when my daughter went off to war. The problem I have is with the company and their policies that’s driving away good people leaving them with hiring incompetent and inexperienced drivers. It’s only going to get worse as far as that. Now I’m going to go look up stupid ::shit:: while I sing the possum song.

Well I’m back to give the Davey28 spin( no pun intended)on it after a hilarious read. Just curious PW(pun intended) what side are you playing on this, the woe is me or the “winning”, I’m banking it? Just pick one. Not both. And your list of things don’t add up at all. You get paid for every single one of those except possibly a dot inspection. You can surely make that half hour up with your extra $6 drops that takes a whole 10 minutes at most( thats $60 an hour chump change right) You do get pd for fueling, it’s included in your 45 min D&H pay(look it up) and many more. I do think you get screwed on meets, would never do it. Still worth $400+ a day though right, nah. I’ve been on both sides of this rat race too, woopde do, nobody cares. Just like nobody cares when a guy punches you square in the chest for showing up a half hour b4 his close time, or another special flower who pulled back on me for refusing to haul his freight down a flight of stairs.Or picking up 10000 inserts that fell over when it’s 100+degrees because the lazy dockman couldn’t put a strap on it. And let’s not forget the Starbucks yuppies shoulder checking you to get there CRAPiotos and all this company wants to know is why it took you so long. Worked with a ripped shoulder and knee tugging on freight that had no business being in a box.Hard to feel your pain. I would gladly give back 1.5 hours of pay for this not to happen. City by choice. So when I got a chance to look out the window on a Saturday run with no worries because no one would, it felt damn good. Didn’t really want to go down this path of ridiculousness because of friends I have in linehaul but oh well, this ain’t for them and they know it. Sacrifice for family isn’t just limited to a hotel room 2 states away, couldn’t tell you how many special events I missed of my kids growing up when I was working local. Even times when my daughter went off to war. The problem I have is with the company and their policies that’s driving away good people leaving them with hiring incompetent and inexperienced drivers. It’s only going to get worse as far as that. Now I’m going to go look up stupid :::shit::: while I sing the possum song.

Lot of typing for saying nothing. I stayed everyday I wanted to because I wanted to. Policy changed, I made a decision and didn’t whine. I just listed what a line driver does and what is considered mileage pay. I never complained about it. Maybe because I never felt like I was in a financial box, maybe because I was raised to be a man. Dunno. Doesn’t matter. All your whining, guess what, I do not care. If I wanted to work a Saturday and had a flush 3080 mile week and you missed a day on your rent check week, I did not care. Still don’t. Never wanted anyone to feel sorry for me either. Didn’t bring my woes to work. When someone brought theirs, you guessed it, I did not care. Still don’t. Drove truck, got check, company and I were even every week. I didn’t owe anyone anything and never felt like anyone owed me anything. Whatcha think about that? Guess what? I do not care.

Well I’m back to give the Davey28 spin( no pun intended)on it after a hilarious read. Just curious PW(pun intended) what side are you playing on this, the woe is me or the “winning”, I’m banking it? Just pick one. Not both. And your list of things don’t add up at all. You get paid for every single one of those except possibly a dot inspection. You can surely make that half hour up with your extra $6 drops that takes a whole 10 minutes at most( thats $60 an hour chump change right) You do get pd for fueling, it’s included in your 45 min D&H pay(look it up) and many more. I do think you get screwed on meets, would never do it. Still worth $400+ a day though right, nah. I’ve been on both sides of this rat race too, woopde do, nobody cares. Just like nobody cares when a guy punches you square in the chest for showing up a half hour b4 his close time, or another special flower who pulled back on me for refusing to haul his freight down a flight of stairs.Or picking up 10000 inserts that fell over when it’s 100+degrees because the lazy dockman couldn’t put a strap on it. And let’s not forget the Starbucks yuppies shoulder checking you to get there CRAPiotos and all this company wants to know is why it took you so long. Worked with a ripped shoulder and knee tugging on freight that had no business being in a box.Hard to feel your pain. I would gladly give back 1.5 hours of pay for this not to happen. City by choice. So when I got a chance to look out the window on a Saturday run with no worries because no one would, it felt damn good. Didn’t really want to go down this path of ridiculousness because of friends I have in linehaul but oh well, this ain’t for them and they know it. Sacrifice for family isn’t just limited to a hotel room 2 states away, couldn’t tell you how many special events I missed of my kids growing up when I was working local. Even times when my daughter went off to war. The problem I have is with the company and their policies that’s driving away good people leaving them with hiring incompetent and inexperienced drivers. It’s only going to get worse as far as that. Now I’m going to go look up stupid :::shit::: while I sing the possum song.
#triggered

Lot of typing for saying nothing. I stayed everyday I wanted to because I wanted to. Policy changed, I made a decision and didn’t whine. I just listed what a line driver does and what is considered mileage pay. I never complained about it. Maybe because I never felt like I was in a financial box, maybe because I was raised to be a man. Dunno. Doesn’t matter. All your whining, guess what, I do not care. If I wanted to work a Saturday and had a flush 3080 mile week and you missed a day on your rent check week, I did not care. Still don’t. Never wanted anyone to feel sorry for me either. Didn’t bring my woes to work. When someone brought theirs, you guessed it, I did not care. Still don’t. Drove truck, got check, company and I were even every week. I didn’t owe anyone anything and never felt like anyone owed me anything. Whatcha think about that? Guess what? I do not care.
Come on Phil! You’re making it sound too easy and it’s almost as if you’re over compensating. Over your 20+ career at SAIA I’m pretty sure you complained (whined) at times. Dude, it’s human nature. Surely you couldn’t rise above everything that was thrown your way. Surely you just didn’t patronize your co-workers and tell them to quit bitching because they knew what they signed up for. It’s one thing accept things as they are but it’s another to never voice an opinion and just be a sheep that doesn’t care.

Last edited:
I never complained about it.
When something doesn’t ring true it usually isn’t. I’m not saying it isn’t possible but “never” is a long time. Perhaps you want to rephrase that but then again maybe not. Just seems a bit idealistic in this not so perfect world.

Come on Phil! You’re making it sound too easy and it’s almost as if you’re over compensating. Over your 20+ career at SAIA I’m pretty sure you complained (whined) at times. Dude, it’s human nature. Surely you couldn’t rise above everything that was thrown your way. Surely you just didn’t patronize your co-workers and tell them to quit bitching because they knew what they signed up for. It’s one thing accept things as they are but it’s another to never voice an opinion and just be a sheep that doesn’t care.
I think old Phil needs a CARE package

h4Kqp0x.jpg

No train, I didn’t make it a habit to be rude or impolite. I would raise concerns in meetings if they asked, but no, I didn’t complain or whine. I wouldn’t sit at the round tables at night in ATL with the rest of the drivers, I’d wait in my truck or go help get my load ready. I didn’t hang around upstairs in CLT, I’d help get my load ready or work on my truck. When I transferred out west, same thing. Doesn’t mean I liked everything, but if it wasn’t enough to make me quit I didn’t throw myself a pity party or throw a tantrum, I accepted it and moved on like I have in every other part of my life. It’s a formula that works for me and has been successful for me.

Davy, if the egomaniac thing is directed at me you owe me a buck, I don’t care to live in your head rent free, I expect you to pay me to be in your presence. I’m only expecting a buck being as your just a city driver. ( Now that’s being an egomaniac ass!)

I didn’t make it a habit to be rude or impolite.
I can’t help but wonder what your co-workers thought of you. Of course we know you didn’t care but still ————— Perhaps they just thought you were a bit unsociable and didn’t care. That would make since because you didn’t. I never really joined in pity party’s but I always listened and had a genuine concern for my co-workers feelings. You sound a bit reclusive in regards to your co-workers. Not self-absorbed but maybe just a lack of empathy.

There is nothing wrong with being a solitary man and perhaps a hermit-like individual. You appear to enjoy being sequestered in your truck. Everyone is different and despite what you may think I’m not being critical. Whatever works for you! You obviously have been very successful and appreciated what SAIA brought to the table. I always have found in my life that when you’re grateful for what you have you are always rewarded with more.

I expect you to pay me to be inyour presence. I’m only expecting a buck beingas your just a city driver. ( Now that’s being anegomaniac ass!)

Well there you have it !

There is nothing wrong with being a solitary man and perhaps a hermit-like individual. You appear to enjoy being sequestered in your truck. Everyone is different and despite what you may think I’m not being critical. Whatever works for you! You obviously have been very successful and appreciated what SAIA brought to the table. I always have found in my life that when you’re grateful for what you have you are always rewarded with more.

Far from reclusive or hermit like, I just never suffered fools. Many didn’t like me, those that got to know me and befriended me found my family and myself to be generous and hospitable. I just never found a reason to hear the same sob stories and complaints I heard when I first started. The locations changed, the stories all rang the same though. You have to admit that you’ve heard the same general complaints everywhere, just not at Saia, for the last three decades, and I’m sure they predate us.

I expect you to pay me to be inyour presence. I’m only expecting a buck beingas your just a city driver. ( Now that’s being anegomaniac ass!)

Well there you have it !

I own it. At least you don’t have to guess, which is good, because you failed at reading sarcasm as well.

Well, I guess this thread has turned into “im Linehaul so I’m #1”. Linehaul is the biggest expense to Saia. Period. More severe accidents, etc... I think you Linehaul guys should check your attitude at the door. Thinking you are “better” or more qualified is total crap. It’s just the type of outlook that perpetuates the BS at Saia. You guys are all professional drivers, regardless of title. Funny how, when Linehaul wants/takes vacation, they rob from City. But when city is on vacation, City just has to suck it up. So, City is good enough to cover vacation, but not to take an extra run on weekends? Big double standard if you ask me
Never suggested that Linehaul drivers were #1. Line haul is trained to run Linehaul and City is trained to run the City. If my terminal wanted me to run City, the paperwork would be a disaster, of biblical proportions, and not because I'm stupid but because I am not trained in the City procedure.
Big Buck, do you train your office personnel how to drive?