Writing About Life On The Road

smokeybandit23

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey all -

I've been a freelance writer for a few years now. Recently, I've been trying to break into writing about other industries (I mainly write about music and current events) and trucking has been one that has been reccomended to me by friends and one that interests me. I'm hoping to get some stories about drivers on the road to gain some more insight.

Do any drivers - or friends of drivers - have any great stories or experiences they want to share? What kind of issues or topics are important to you that you wish would be covered in the industry? Is there anything that you feel is important that you wish you knew when you were first driving?

Anything is appreciated, just trying to generate some ideas. Thank you!

There are plenty of stories but I don't think that there are many that are newsworthy. The overall state of the industry and working conditions for the driver (over the road drivers in particular) would be the most enlightening in my opinion. The life, the pay and the overall working conditions compare with third world standards and working conditions.

oNA8MTc.jpg

For your reading pleasure. Maybe you will get some ideas. It ain't all Smokey and the Bandit.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/blog/al...16/03/drivers-at-risk-for-mental-illness.aspx

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/03/long-haul-trucking-and-mental-health/474840/

https://www.facebook.com/MaddogTrucker/posts/1298783863470411:0

In my own case my wife "suggested" that I retire. My mental health was circling the drain after I was first on the scene of a ugly wreak. That and the constant lack of sleep from working nights for 30 some years. A few think trucking is fun and glory, the rest of us just know it as a job in a $h!t hole we can wait to get out of.

Best think that ever happened to me was walking out that door on Saturday morning at 0809 On 08/01/2015. Worst 44+ years of my life. The few moment of fun never will make up for the years of crap.

The one link that you need to read I can't find now, I'll keep looking.

"Do any drivers - or friends of drivers - have any great stories or experiences they want to share?"
Yes, yet the ones I could scrape off the mud flaps would violate the Rules of The Road here @ TruckingBoards.

"What kind of issues or topics are important to you that you wish would be covered in the industry?"
Ask xxx ENGLISH SPEAKING Drivers, get xxx different answers. That's the way we play.

"Is there anything that you feel is important that you wish you knew when you were first driving?"
Yes Hand, some Trucker Lingo would have helped and thank you Good Buddy.
10-2, 10-4, 10-7, 10-10.
My 10-20 is DFW, TX., yet this business not being open now, does not offer availability for a 10-100 and it's not likely to be a 10-50.
10-36 being 23:30.

"Anything is appreciated, just trying to generate some ideas. Thank you!"

CHEERS!!

P.S. If you really want the Trucker experience, just go to your local Peelot (Pilot) or Flying J (Flying P since they're together) or T.A. or Petro or Love's or local Mom and Pop on a warm summer day and inhale deeply the wonderful aroma that has overtaken ANY truck stop. Rest Areas offer the same aroma.
BE SURE to visit the back rows of these locations to understand the incredible beauty of trash and filth that is inherent in trucking.
ANY truck stop along I-4, I-10, I-15, I-20, I-30, I-40, I-44, I-55, I-60, I-64, I-70, I-74, I-77, I-80, I-81, I-85, I-90, I-94, I-95 and others as well Routes and back roads (off in the woods).

Tread lightly and wash your soles before entering your vehicle.
CHEERS!!

Last edited: