ABF | XPO Con-Way pay raise.

I spoke to a friend of mine who works for XPO Con-Way who informed me that due to the ongoing threat of Union organizing, their company will give them a 50 cent an hour pay raise on April 3rd.

That will bring their rate to $25.90 an hour,.......pretty close to what FedEx is making.

YRC is the lowest paying LTL carrier,.......and we are the second-lowest paid,........and with our highly vaunted pension under attack,.....and YRC on a pension freeze,......and with no vacation for two years........tell me once again how ABF and YRC are going to attract new employees?

Good Job! Mess'rs Hoffa, Johnson, and Sweeton have pretty much ruined Union LTL for the future with the disastrous, putrid contracts,....... and the ongoing lack of interest and representation........

Maybe it would be better to decertify, and then immediately start an organizing campaign........It seems the only attention paid to LTL by the IBT is their ongoing quest for more dues money,........Maybe we would get better representation and attention iif we acted like we needed organized......

Of course XPO Con-Way will never organize.......Neither will FedEx.... They get better benefits and pay merely by the threat being out there.....plus the lack of availability of experienced LTL drivers ........Their upper management has concluded that paying drivers what they're worth is probably a better strategy for growth .....,...,as opposed to the strategy concocted by the.....,"management " at YRC and ABF,........and, of course,.....the Three Stooges at the IBT.

Just to set the record straight, the raise has nothing to do with unionization threats or worries. It's a whopping 2% "cost of living increase". There really hasn't been much for union talk at XPO Con-Way for quite a while now.

Just to set the record straight, the raise has nothing to do with unionization threats or worries. It's a whopping 2% "cost of living increase". There really hasn't been much for union talk at XPO Con-Way for quite a while now.
As a current XPO employee. I will disagree with your comment. The raise is to keep people pacified and away from the union. And by the way not everyone got that .50 cent. And from what i was told, the shop employees got different raises. Not only that XPO has cut hours for employees and it's asking employees to take day's off. But part of your comment is correct. The employees aren't talking union they've given up on bettering their futures.:idunno:

As a non-union driver I would like to contest the idea that I can be fired at any time. In theory, that's true, but it would be a monumentally stupid decision to fire a driver who shows up on time and performs his duties safely and efficiently.

I do not fear being fired because I do not do things for which anyone would want to fire me. And if anyone was to fire me, I could pick up the phone and find a replacement job with ease.

My attitude towards work would not change if I were a union member. I was brought up believing that you work hard and work honest, and I strive to live up to that. Am I perfect? Nope. But nobody is, and my record of safety precedes me. Not being in the habit of damaging equipment, being late or mouthing off tends to go far when the alternative is worse for the company.

That being said, there remains better job security at a union job. I would be happy to drive feeders at UPS, but that's a very rare position here in Canada. YRC Reimer pays great for linehaul, but the linehaul manager never called me or emailed me back despite numerous messages left. And most other union carriers here don't do much more than P&D, with most of the linehaul contracted out.

I don't see enough benefit to a union position to actively pursue one, really. If I got one, great, but I'm not holding my breath.

As a non-union driver I would like to contest the idea that I can be fired at any time. In theory, that's true, but it would be a monumentally stupid decision to fire a driver who shows up on time and performs his duties safely and efficiently.

I do not fear being fired because I do not do things for which anyone would want to fire me. And if anyone was to fire me, I could pick up the phone and find a replacement job with ease.

My attitude towards work would not change if I were a union member. I was brought up believing that you work hard and work honest, and I strive to live up to that. Am I perfect? Nope. But nobody is, and my record of safety precedes me. Not being in the habit of damaging equipment, being late or mouthing off tends to go far when the alternative is worse for the company.

That being said, there remains better job security at a union job. I would be happy to drive feeders at UPS, but that's a very rare position here in Canada. YRC Reimer pays great for linehaul, but the linehaul manager never called me or emailed me back despite numerous messages left. And most other union carriers here don't do much more than P&D, with most of the linehaul contracted out.

I don't see enough benefit to a union position to actively pursue one, really. If I got one, great, but I'm not holding my breath.
Abfer said it best, no one needs a union until the reality sets in that you no longer have a job. Anything can happen boss forgot to take meds. to him having a bad day & you just happen to be in the cross hairs....

As a current XPO employee. I will disagree with your comment. The raise is to keep people pacified and away from the union. And by the way not everyone got that .50 cent. And from what i was told, the shop employees got different raises. Not only that XPO has cut hours for employees and it's asking employees to take day's off. But part of your comment is correct. The employees aren't talking union they've given up on bettering their futures.:idunno:
Kind of interesting that as a current XPO employee, you first post is in the ABF forum. Definitely a troll here fellas! I can also tell you, as a current XPO employee, we are getting less hours because it's slow right now. Those who can afford to are taking days off to keep other guys working in some locations. But again, we typically get around a 2% raise every year. Mechanics may be different. They are in a different job market.

Kind of interesting that as a current XPO employee, you first post is in the ABF forum. Definitely a troll here fellas! I can also tell you, as a current XPO employee, we are getting less hours because it's slow right now. Those who can afford to are taking days off to keep other guys working in some locations. But again, we typically get around a 2% raise every year. Mechanics may be different. They are in a different job market.
Same here at Pyle. During the slow season guys will volunteer first to take a day off. Usually getting 40 hours isn't a problem. They have gotten rid of all the covenant drivers as well to keep linehaul working at max capacity.

I have to disagree with this one. See I agree with most of what you say and I am a well disciplined worker myself. Decent IQ, good hygiene and the best of work ethic, plus two other undesirable characteristics...big balls and a big mouth. Brains, balls, and a mouth are not very welcome whether you're union or not. The only difference is that the union job is secure under those conditions, non is not.:soapbox:
Same here at Pyle. During the slow season guys will volunteer first to take a day off. Usually getting 40 hours isn't a problem. They have gotten rid of all the covenant drivers as well to keep linehaul working at max capacity.
Pyle does appear to be a decent company to work for and I am happy for you and your coworkers that you do get treated well. Unfortunately that is the only company in the Northeast that I have heard of recently that does.:guiness:

Just to clarify how I got here. I'm very interested in the union movement.Any union movement. Because i believe that unions contribute towards the economic stability of this country. So I'm always checking websites that have to do with the union. But mostly i go on changeconway/xpo2win.and bringtheteamstertofedex. Which thats how i ended up here.and the post for this link was xpo raises. I wanted to see what people were saying about the raise.

I have to disagree with this one. See I agree with most of what you say and I am a well disciplined worker myself. Decent IQ, good hygiene and the best of work ethic, plus two other undesirable characteristics...big balls and a big mouth. Brains, balls, and a mouth are not very welcome whether you're union or not. The only difference is that the union job is secure under those conditions, non is not.:soapbox:

Pyle does appear to be a decent company to work for and I am happy for you and your coworkers that you do get treated well. Unfortunately that is the only company in the Northeast that I have heard of recently that does.:guiness:
What about LAX?:hide:

Abfer said it best, no one needs a union until the reality sets in that you no longer have a job. Anything can happen boss forgot to take meds. to him having a bad day & you just happen to be in the cross hairs....
That's a pretty thin possibility, and there are laws that allow you to contest wrongful dismissal. I've met a lot of a-holes, but it's usually they who get fired for being a-holes. A manager or supervisor who fires people because he's in a bad mood is a liability to any company and will not last long.

I've never been afraid of voicing my opinion. Back at FedEx, doing so (in regards to operations on the Canada dock at TOL) got things changed for the better on a few different occasions. I've learned that the key to getting management to listen is not to rant, but to explain it to them in language they understand.

Only job I've ever seen a mouthy person get fired from is customer service jobs. You wouldn't make a great Walmart greeter :lmao:

That's a pretty thin possibility, and there are laws that allow you to contest wrongful dismissal.
No such laws here just unemployment compensation of you are let go without just cause.
A manager or supervisor who fires people because he's in a bad mood is a liability to any company and will not last long.
I had one that lasted over 20 years and I do not think he is the only one of his kind.

I've learned that the key to getting management to listen is not to rant, but to explain it to them in language they understand.
Somehow you have managed to escape working for a know-it-all who couldn't possibly learn anything from you. I have not been so lucky.

Somehow you have managed to escape working for a know-it-all who couldn't possibly learn anything from you. I have not been so lucky.
The way I deal with people like that is to make them think my idea was their idea. I couldn't tell you how many times I've been thanked for talking to a supervisor about an idea they didn't know they had.

No such laws here just unemployment compensation of you are let go without just cause.

I had one that lasted over 20 years and I do not think he is the only one of his kind.
The times, they are a changin'. I've seen people like that come and go in months in the past 5 years, at FedEx and Day & Ross. They often get promoted to an office where they can't bother anyone if they can't be let go. Nothing says "people person" like "Equipment Maintenance Coordinator".

That's a pretty thin possibility, and there are laws that allow you to contest wrongful dismissal. I've met a lot of a-holes, but it's usually they who get fired for being a-holes. A manager or supervisor who fires people because he's in a bad mood is a liability to any company and will not last long.
You mention wanting to working for ups package I worked for them from 90-93 before finding full time employment. If you get on with them you will see that "pretty thin possibility " happens more then you think....

"there are laws that allow you to contest wrongful dismissal."

Try working in an "at will" state where the company can end your employment at any time and any reason, or no reason for that matter without any recourse.

"there are laws that allow you to contest wrongful dismissal."

Try working in an "at will" state where the company can end your employment at any time and any reason, or no reason for that matter without any recourse.
I'm not so attached to my job that I fear being fired. Prior to driving a truck I had a number of different jobs. When the work dried up, I moved on.

We're truck drivers. Almost anyone here could pick up the phone and have another job if the need arises. My job at FedEx was completely different from my job at Day & Ross, but it's not impossible to adjust to new conditions.

And frankly, I don't hear a lot of non-union drivers complaining that they got fired because the terminal manager hated them. They're all growing and can ill afford to lose hard to replace drivers because an easily replaced manager or supervisor gets his undies in a wad if he's having a bad day.

They might wish they could replace us, but right now the carriers need us a LOT more than we need them.