XPO | XPO names CIO Harik to run LTL business

We, XPO should not be running driving schools. There are many out there that can do it for us. When a new driver is brought in he is not counted as part of the SIC driver pool, he's still in training. So having a trainer with him on the street is no lose to that SIC driver pool. Having drivers do schools is.
One company near me has driver schools and when a driver get done with that school he is a jockey in there yard for at least 6 months before he is put on the street with a trainer. Now as far as I understand at XMI any dockworker that wants to becomae a driver must be a jockey first, then after being a jockey for some time then can then sign up for the next school. This does not work at every SIC because most don't have full time jockeys. This is why an outside school needs to be used.
How long from start to finish does it take them to help a new guy get his permit, pass at the DMV, and get his CDL?

Becaue trainers should be management. And that is what an FOS is. The bottom rung of management

How long from start to finish does it take them to help a new guy get his permit, pass at the DMV, and get his CDL?
The way our school works, the students must have their commercial learner permit in hand and have passed a DOT physical prior to Day 1. After that, it's a 7 week course during which time they obtain their doubles/triples and tanker endorsements which they need at the start of Week 6. They also start the process to obtain a HAZMAT endorsement. So start to finish is ideally 7 weeks and upon graduation, they have a solid, working knowledge of how to safely pull any equipment in our fleet. We're not like the private trucking "schools," which are basically mills that teach to the CDL tests. By the time my students graduate, they have over double the minimum training hours required by DOT in both class work and hands-on experience.

The way our school works, the students must have their commercial learner permit in hand and have passed a DOT physical prior to Day 1. After that, it's a 7 week course during which time they obtain their doubles/triples and tanker endorsements which they need at the start of Week 6. They also start the process to obtain a HAZMAT endorsement. So start to finish is ideally 7 weeks and upon graduation, they have a solid, working knowledge of how to safely pull any equipment in our fleet. We're not like the private trucking "schools," which are basically mills that teach to the CDL tests. By the time my students graduate, they have over double the minimum training hours required by DOT in both class work and hands-on experience.

Are you still teaching standard transmission ? The trainers at XCO are saying they are going to automatic only licensing. Also. They also do a 10 week course with a week of prep on both sides. So 12 weeks of that trainer not being in the driver pool.

They want drivers coaching other drivers. Why? Because they believe a driver or driving trainee will have more respect for the instructor than they would an FOS.
Respect is earned not given. It's hard to sit there and have a driver trainer tell what you did wrong even though he does the same thing to..

No offense taken and you're mostly right. I'm not counted in the P&D lineup, but there are times that I have to hit the street regardless of anything else I'm doing. The needs of the service center will always come into play at some point and I have to adjust my training schedule accordingly. When the need arises, I'm most often used as a last resort in the afternoons to cover another driver who is too heavy on pick ups to get them all done, but I am asked to run occasionally. Fortunately, at my service center, we most often have enough drivers to cover the freight volume without me.
I report directly to my SCM and he decides my schedule and to what degree my FOS's are charged with helping me with my training needs. But there is also the underlying needs of the service center and when those needs require me to hit the street, then I have to, regardless of anything else I have going on at the time.
This here is why we shouldn't be running schools. When a school is in session you are a trainer and that's it. Not trainer one day driver the next. Either run the school or don't. I have guys at my place missed days of training because they had no truck to drive at the school and that's total bullsh1t. We can't half azz the stuff.

There are things unique to our operation that still need to be taught and our HAZMAT course is second to none and every new hire, DW or DSR needs to have the training.
Now that's funny.....Hazmat training. Since XPO took over the Hazmat has gone to hell. Some of these city driver can't even enter it into the HH let alone know the difference between bulk and non bulk. God for bid DW they put placard on or take them off the trailers. I broken trailer that had with no UN number but had totes of HM loaded on the trailer.
Every other job I had that hauled hazmat had a refresher course every year. I can't tell you the last time I seen anyone at my place have one.

Last edited:
Maybe in your world I should be on the street, but that's simply not the way it works and I'm not simply a babysitter watching over new hires watching training videos. The Conway days of watching a stack of DVD's are long gone. The curriculums today consist of guided Powerpoint presentations, hands-on using the hear-see-do-teach method, short, 3-4 minute videos to aid in the training. Honestly, most of the videos suck, being produced in house. They are supposed to give the trainee a high level understanding but end up presenting too much information at a pace where it cannot be properly absorbed. What makes the overall training experience good for new hires is that in the hands of skilled instructor the Powerpoints become engaging and bring the trainee into the process so that they come away able to pass the tests that follow on the first attempt, even the HAZMAT presentation, although lengthy and full of facts, is understandable in the hands of a skilled trainer. It's taken me months to craft my presentations in a way that make them entertaining and understandable and I pride myself on that. It's too bad you'll never have a chance to be in my training room and experience what I'm capable of because I'm godamned good at it and you would walk away smarter than when you came in.
Here is a way you can present hazmat to them. The ticket the DOT officer hands you has your name on it and you are responsible for the payment of the fine. Not the company. So when you fail to check your paperwork and roll out that gate without or wrong placards get ready to take a second mortgage out on the house because that fine is upwards to $10,000 per side or $40K total. Then he starts his level 1 inspection from there.

So true, and again, it goes back to locality. If a guy wants to be a trainer because he gets an early start time or other selfish reason, he's not the right guy for the job.
The problem I see is the trainer are not held to a higher standard. They are also not paid extra for there time they spend training. You knowedge and experience is worth something isn't it? Yet the company getting it on the cheap. Many company out there pay there trainers extra when training. They also gets perks like new trucks every years and some even offer comp time.
I will not train because they will not pay me for my experience yet when someone trains they have more responsible and it make my day longer as if they aren't long enough. This is why the new guy is training the new guy.

Last edited:
and have an automatic restrictions

So 7 weeks, and how many hours daily? Are they also still working the dock while training too?

Hell no these guys ain't working the dock. I have seen them told by management to go help out and respond that they are to busy for that. Go up to the office to find them and they are bullspitting and cracking up about how untouchable they are.
A friend of mine works out @ XLS, and says the people training there are usually night dock, like 10 pm till 8am, and then they go to training for like 5 hours after that? He said they are in the program for like 8-9 weeks? I suppose every barn may be a little different in that aspect.

A friend of mine works out @ XLS, and says the people training there are usually night dock, like 10 pm till 8am, and then they go to training for like 5 hours after that? He said they are in the program for like 8-9 weeks? I suppose every barn may be a little different in that aspect.

This is pretty accurate. And they do stuff on the weekends also.