XPO | XPO names CIO Harik to run LTL business

Respect is earned not given. It's hard to sit there and have a driver trainer tell what you did wrong even though he does the same thing to..
Ok, so....a manager with degree in physical education, whose never even seen a big truck up close. You'd rather be coached by that guy? Pick your poison.

Are you still teaching standard transmission ? The trainers at XCO are saying they are going to automatic only licensing. Also. They also do a 10 week course with a week of prep on both sides. So 12 weeks of that trainer not being in the driver pool.
Mostly....no. The 7wk school is built around using an automatic transmission, but there are certain exceptions made for domiciles with older fleets with mostly manual transmissions.

Now that's funny.....Hazmat training. Since XPO took over the Hazmat has gone to hell. Some of these city driver can't even enter it into the HH let alone know the difference between bulk and non bulk. God for bid DW they put placard on or take them off the trailers. I broken trailer that had with no UN number but had totes of HM loaded on the trailer.
Every other job I had that hauled hazmat had a refresher course every year. I can't tell you the last time I seen anyone at my place have one.
You cannot lump all domiciles into one bag and be accurate. My guys are well trained on handling and securing HAZMAT. The problem you describe, while it's happening does so at the local level and the blame lies with local management

Here is a way you can present hazmat to them. The ticket the DOT officer hands you has your name on it and you are responsible for the payment of the fine. Not the company. So when you fail to check your paperwork and roll out that gate without or wrong placards get ready to take a second mortgage out on the house because that fine is upwards to $10,000 per side or $40K total. Then he starts his level 1 inspection from there.
Works for me

The problem I see is the trainer are not held to a higher standard. They are also not paid extra for there time they spend training. You knowedge and experience is worth something isn't it? Yet the company getting it on the cheap. Many company out there pay there trainers extra when training. They also gets perks like new trucks every years and some even offer comp time.
I will not train because they will not pay me for my experience yet when someone trains they have more responsible and it make my day longer as if they aren't long enough. This is why the new guy is training the new guy.
That's not the case. XPO driving instructors get paid extra while on Kronos 131, driving schools. But I enjoy doing it and would do so at my current rate, of course I'll never complain if the company wants to throw more money in my direction for doing something I love to do.

You cannot lump all domiciles into one bag and be accurate. My guys are well trained on handling and securing HAZMAT. The problem you describe, while it's happening does so at the local level and the blame lies with local management
Well I sure hope you not at XHG. What's wrong with this. I bet a 100 bucks it rolls out the gate. Unless I take it

IMG_20211012_232447561.md.jpg

Last edited:
That's not the case. XPO driving instructors get paid extra while on Kronos 131, driving schools. But I enjoy doing it and would do so at my current rate, of course I'll never complain if the company wants to throw more money in my direction for doing something I love to do.
Yes you are but when you send them back to there barn the drivers dont get any extra. We still have to train them for 2 to 3 more weeks

How do you like teaching millennial age people a 10 speed?

That’s some long days
How do you like teaching millennial age people a 10 speed?
Yes, it can make for some long days, buy myself and my other instructors make sure they get breaks every 45 minutes to an hour. Otherwise, the students get fatigued and stop learning.
When it comes to teaching a 10 speed, it's arguably the biggest challenge we face. Most of them haven't even driven a manual transmission four wheeler. My experience is that the more raw talent they have, the easier they learn it, but it's safe to say that very few of them are smooth shifters on graduation day, that's a skill they continue to refine once we turn them loose.

That’s another difference from what they do here. But that maybe changing.
What do you make of the impact these new cameras will have ?
Well I sure hope you not at XHG. What's wrong with this. I bet a 100 bucks it rolls out the gate. Unless I take it

IMG_20211012_232447561.md.jpg
Yes you are but when you send them back to there barn the drivers dont get any extra. We still have to train them for 2 to 3 more weeks
Highspeeds, when you say "here," are you talking about your current employer or the XPO terminal you used to work at? For XPO, the 7wk school has replaced both the 12wk and 9wk schools. They get the same amount of training hours as before, just longer days.
As to the new cameras, it's too soon to say for sure, but here is what I know. The cameras will still be tripped via accelerometers measuring forces, but the 12 second clip will be 10 seconds instead.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Fly-by-night, is that picture from one of your loads? That's representing a corrosive hazard in a bulk or bulk containers and it's just as legal as a single Class 8 placard with white UN numbers in the middle. The problem is that UN2794 represents lead acid batteries and unless one of them is large enough to contain more than 119 gallons of acid, the placarding is improper and the orange numbers should not be displayed, but you already know that. If it is correctly placarded, the size of the numbers could possibly get a driver lit up because it appears to me that the font is too small to completely fill the orange field.
To your second comment. If you're talking about driver mentors as in the drivers that do the ride-alongs, you're right, they still receive their regular pay for taking a student or new hire. But also, at least where I work, we always have enough volunteers who are content doing the work with nothing extra expected in return. Teaching is a labor of love for most folks.

Fly-by-night, is that picture from one of your loads?
No saw it sitting in the yard at XHG
The problem is that UN2794 represents lead acid batteries and unless one of them is large enough to contain more than 119 gallons of acid, the placarding is improper and the orange numbers should not be displayed, but you already know that.
Having UN number on is better then not, even if you don't need them

If it is correctly placarded, the size of the numbers could possibly get a driver lit up because it appears to me that the font is too small to completely fill the orange field.
You are correct. There are 2 different size of numbers. The size in the pic is for use on a placard with the blank space. The ones for the orange panels are larger. Orange placard has to be 100mm numbers were the ones used on placard are only 88mm as seen in the pic I posted

Now here are things you didn't know. the freight on the trailer, I looked it up in the HH was over 10K of lead acid batteries. Now per the reg UN numbers don't need to be applied because there was other freight onboard. Even thought the amount of the Hazmat was over the 8,820lbs load at one place. Now if it was the only thing on the trailer the UN number are required. Our HH will always tell you to put UN number on when the amount is over that 8,820lbs.
Here's my thing these DOT officer are not stupid but can spot a stupid driver and fine them to the moon. Pulling into a scale with and Officer looking to get his quota and you just made his job easier. He still inside the shack already adding up the fines and haven't even pulled you around back. The next thing you know you over the pit, and he opening the trailer to make sure the shipment is secure. Two hours later your call your TM saying you been fined to the moon and they put you O/S until the defects are fixed. All that because you were to lazy to check or put on the right sizes numbers.
Over my years I have many run ins with the DOT man. When you pull overweight and oversized it's like putting a PLEASE INSPECT ME sign on you door. The same thing can be said for HM placards.
The icing on the cake is later that night I pointed out to another driver the same error and he did care and I watched it roll out the gate. Not my fine, not my license

What makes this soooo bad is that now only an FOS or higher can close trailer. This shows they don't even know what they are looking at...It's really sad

Highspeeds, when you say "here," are you talking about your current employer or the XPO terminal you used to work at? For XPO, the 7wk school has replaced both the 12wk and 9wk schools. They get the same amount of training hours as before, just longer days.
As to the new cameras, it's too soon to say for sure, but here is what I know. The cameras will still be tripped via accelerometers measuring forces, but the 12 second clip will be 10 seconds instead.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Fly-by-night, is that picture from one of your loads? That's representing a corrosive hazard in a bulk or bulk containers and it's just as legal as a single Class 8 placard with white UN numbers in the middle. The problem is that UN2794 represents lead acid batteries and unless one of them is large enough to contain more than 119 gallons of acid, the placarding is improper and the orange numbers should not be displayed, but you already know that. If it is correctly placarded, the size of the numbers could possibly get a driver lit up because it appears to me that the font is too small to completely fill the orange field.
To your second comment. If you're talking about driver mentors as in the drivers that do the ride-alongs, you're right, they still receive their regular pay for taking a student or new hire. But also, at least where I work, we always have enough volunteers who are content doing the work with nothing extra expected in return. Teaching is a labor of love for most folks.

“ Here “ refers to XPOs XCO terminal.

Hearing the cameras will be tripped by driver movement. If you reach for the radio or a drink. It will record you. It will be scanning your eyes. And if you aren’t checking your mirrors. Or have a blank stare. They can shut the truck down. They are saying it will be recording audio. And that you can fired for things you say during recorded events.

“ Here “ refers to XPOs XCO terminal.

Hearing the cameras will be tripped by driver movement. If you reach for the radio or a drink. It will record you. It will be scanning your eyes. And if you aren’t checking your mirrors. Or have a blank stare. They can shut the truck down. They are saying it will be recording audio. And that you can fired for things you say during recorded events.
Is calling them, bastards, a firing offense?