XPO | XPO names CIO Harik to run LTL business

You're a real funny guy there, but not so funny that you should quit your day job to become a comedian. You took my post and edited it. If anyone else wants to know what I'm talking look at my post at #19 and look at his post at #101. I don't know who you work for, but if it's XPO I hope you point out at some time so you can become another employer's problem.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. The UN numbers on placards are used to communicate to first responders that the HAZMAT is in bulk packaging or that there is a massive amount of a single HAZMAT on that trailer and nothing else, and could ill affect the way they act on an accident scene. I would also add that for as long as I've been teaching HAZMAT and taking the state test every four years, I've not seen anything that says something to the effect of when in doubt, use UN numbers instead of standard placards.
100% correct

We were told a whole lot when the rolled out the last camera. Funny how things ended up much different than advertised.
Their doing it again . They told us when ask that the cameras have all of the goodies that we fear but they won’t be turning those new options on . If the option is there they will use it At some point. I know I know , if your perfect you have nothing to fear.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. The UN numbers on placards are used to communicate to first responders that the HAZMAT is in bulk packaging or that there is a massive amount of a single HAZMAT on that trailer and nothing else, and could ill affect the way they act on an accident scene. I would also add that for as long as I've been teaching HAZMAT and taking the state test every four years, I've not seen anything that says something to the effect of when in doubt, use UN numbers instead of standard placards.
Well as a former first responder I can tell you that more info is always better then less. I can also say the initial response is the same. Still having friends the are paid and vol firefighter and 911 dispatchers. I can also say that if you call 911 and report that there are placards on a vehicle that is in an accident they will ask you what the hazard is and the UN number if you know. When the responder arrive on the first thing they want to know is the UN number, no matter the amount, and knowing it before they arrive is a big bonus. This shipment in question was a massive amount as you say even thought it wasn't the only shipment on the trailer. I have also have yet to run into a DOT officer fine me for over placarding with UN numbers. There one spot were they talk about UN not being on the placards, but the law still requires the UN number to be displayed. I'll put a link below with an example. The link I post will explain were UN number are used in a non-bulk setting
I've not seen anything that says something to the effect of when in doubt, use UN numbers instead of standard placards.
I don't know what test you are taking but UN number do not replace placards they are use in conjunction with placards

and could ill affect the way they act on an accident scene.
there you are very wrong. Every dept has a pre set run cards on file with the 911 center. A run card is what equipement is on the initial dispatch. In this case an accident with hazmat on board in my area get a Rescue or Truck, and Engine, hazmat team on stand-by and one Ambo as info comes in the officer in charge may upgrade the assignment or request addition equipment

You're a real funny guy there, but not so funny that you should quit your day job to become a comedian. You took my post and edited it. If anyone else wants to know what I'm talking look at my post at #19 and look at his post at #101. I don't know who you work for, but if it's XPO I hope you point out at some time so you can become another employer's problem.
Good lord..settle down.

there you are very wrong. Every dept has a pre set run cards on file with the 911 center. A run card is what equipement is on the initial dispatch. In this case an accident with hazmat on board in my area get a Rescue or Truck, and Engine, hazmat team on stand-by and one Ambo as info comes in the officer in charge may upgrade the assignment or request addition equipment
We probably have those as well, and if I'm understanding your post correctly, you're saying that manifest information regarding HAZMAT freight is provided to those agencies every time a driver departs on a run? That would be only linehaul though, correct? If that's the case, then how does dispatch report HAZMAT freight to those agencies for city work. All that being said, there is still a reason that DOT requires the most recent version of the ERG to be stored in the driver door pocket for all HAZMAT carriers, regardless of city or OTR operations

Last edited:
Yes, it can make for some long days, buy myself and my other instructors make sure they get breaks every 45 minutes to an hour. Otherwise, the students get fatigued and stop learning.
When it comes to teaching a 10 speed, it's arguably the biggest challenge we face. Most of them haven't even driven a manual transmission four wheeler. My experience is that the more raw talent they have, the easier they learn it, but it's safe to say that very few of them are smooth shifters on graduation day, that's a skill they continue to refine once we turn them loose.
Millennial here. I was gosh the worst shifter ever ha-ha, but like anything else where I work at up until 2019 all the trucks were still stick shift and just doing it everyday eventually I got better and better and learned. It takes time and patience and most drivers as discussed here are not teachers and that's alright, but it's just one of those things that takes time.

The problem now is automatics are becoming standard and so the motivation to teach and learn stick shift isn't there when the future is already here so to speak. Back when I first started driving in 2014 automatics were just starting to become something and I figured in 10-12 years from the year 2014 the days of the manual shift truck will be over and I think that's pretty much on course, but I get it there is still a lot of older equipment out their but these newer trucks I don't think have the life span the older trucks have especially OTR trucks 8-9 years max I know LTL companies tend to run equipment longer, it's just a matter of the older equipment cycling it's self out and it is.

We probably have those as well, and if I'm understanding your post correctly, you're saying that manifest information regarding HAZMAT freight is provided to those agencies every time a driver departs on a run? That would be only linehaul though, correct? If that's the case, then how does dispatch report HAZMAT freight to those agencies for city work. All that being said, there is still a reason that DOT requires the most recent version of the ERG to be stored in the driver door pocket for all HAZMAT carriers, regardless of city or OTR operations
Not our dispatch, but the info given to emergency dispatchers when someone is calling in an accident. Based on the information given, they decide what resources to send to the scene.

The problem now is automatics are becoming standard and so the motivation to teach and learn stick shift isn't there when the future is already here so to speak. Back when I first started driving in 2014 automatics were just starting to become something and I figured in 10-12 years from the year 2014 the days of the manual shift truck will be over and I think that's pretty much on course, but I get it there is still a lot of older equipment out their but these newer trucks I don't think have the life span the older trucks have especially OTR trucks 8-9 years max I know LTL companies tend to run equipment longer, it's just a matter of the older equipment cycling it's self out and it is.
You bring up some good points here. I also don't like the idea of big trucks with automatic transmissions for a couple of reasons. While I'm no mechanic, I figure that over the long haul and AT will be more expensive to repair than a manual, since most of the time a manual involves replacing clutch plates and maybe linkages, whereas automatic transmissions are more complex will cost more money. From an instructors perspective, the AT's will make our jobs easier because it will flatten the overall learning curve during the training process. From a safety and operational standpoint, I think the AT's take away a degree of control when it comes to the ability of the driver to change how much traction the drive tires get in certain situations like slick roads and icy docks, it's possible they may prove out to be statistically more dangerous to operate in the long run. From an emotional standpoint, I think that proficiency at operating a manual transmission is a key thing that puts a professional driver at a much higher level of driving than a person with only an operator's license. Being able to drive a manual transmission well is akin to an art form whereas an AT is mostly about just turning a knob and using the accelerator and brake pedals. I don't want to see the manual transmission go away, but wanting and reality in this case are two very different things.

You bring up some good points here. I also don't like the idea of big trucks with automatic transmissions for a couple of reasons. While I'm no mechanic, I figure that over the long haul and AT will be more expensive to repair than a manual, since most of the time a manual involves replacing clutch plates and maybe linkages, whereas automatic transmissions are more complex will cost more money. From an instructors perspective, the AT's will make our jobs easier because it will flatten the overall learning curve during the training process. From a safety and operational standpoint, I think the AT's take away a degree of control when it comes to the ability of the driver to change how much traction the drive tires get in certain situations like slick roads and icy docks, it's possible they may prove out to be statistically more dangerous to operate in the long run. From an emotional standpoint, I think that proficiency at operating a manual transmission is a key thing that puts a professional driver at a much higher level of driving than a person with only an operator's license.
Other then the little city trucks we do not have automatic transmission in our trucks. A fully automatic transmission employs a hydraulic torque converter coupling the engine to a planetary-geared transmission providing uninterrupted, continuous power shifts. So like I have said before. Show me were I check the transmission fluid in my road truck. You can't because they do have one.
We have automated manual transmission (AMT). While the clutch pedal is removed in an automated manual, AMTs still use a standard manual gearbox with electrical or pneumatic clutch actuation, resulting in torque interrupts and loss of power during shifts. Why do you think when you get that low trans air warning the truck will not shift into gear.
Per my shop somewhere between 400,000 and 450,000 mile they have to replace the clutchs and other parts in the AMT trucks just like they replace them old school trucks that have a clutch pedal
Not bashing on you but this is the problem with all the training programs here at XPO. Alot of the trainers have no understand on how the equipment works. To them it's turn key, push in buttons, turn shifter knob, and smash the go pedal. It's just what I have seen out here at the FAC's

Last edited:
eing able to drive a manual transmission well is akin to an art form whereas an AT is mostly about just turning a knob and using the accelerator and brake pedals.
So that's why I smell so many burning brakes at the FAC. These AMT can be down shifted manually so you can use the trans and engine to slow you down

The road tractors cannot be controlled manually (as far as shifting ) This feature is being disabled fleetwide.
Yes you can't lock it into manual, but you can down shift. Try it. When slowing down for a exit at around 1300rpm push the shift level down and it will down shift. Even in the international you can. I have always down shifted it before the computer would on hills. You can also up shift it to.