XPO | XPO names CIO Harik to run LTL business

You are correct. There are 2 different size of numbers. The size in the pic is for use on a placard with the blank space. The ones for the orange panels are larger. Orange placard has to be 100mm numbers were the ones used on placard are only 88mm as seen in the pic I posted

Now here are things you didn't know. the freight on the trailer, I looked it up in the HH was over 10K of lead acid batteries. Now per the reg UN numbers don't need to be applied because there was other freight onboard. Even thought the amount of the Hazmat was over the 8,820lbs load at one place. Now if it was the only thing on the trailer the UN number are required. Our HH will always tell you to put UN number on when the amount is over that 8,820lbs.
Here's my thing these DOT officer are not stupid but can spot a stupid driver and fine them to the moon. Pulling into a scale with and Officer looking to get his quota and you just made his job easier. He still inside the shack already adding up the fines and haven't even pulled you around back. The next thing you know you over the pit, and he opening the trailer to make sure the shipment is secure. Two hours later your call your TM saying you been fined to the moon and they put you O/S until the defects are fixed. All that because you were to lazy to check or put on the right sizes numbers.
Over my years I have many run ins with the DOT man. When you pull overweight and oversized it's like putting a PLEASE INSPECT ME sign on you door. The same thing can be said for HM placards.
The icing on the cake is later that night I pointed out to another driver the same error and he did care and I watched it roll out the gate. Not my fine, not my license

What makes this soooo bad is that now only an FOS or higher can close trailer. This shows they don't even know what they are looking at...It's really sad
Actually I do know about the 8820lbs rule as it's on the table I use as a training aid, but I'm glad you know it too. Everything you said in this post is spot-on. And it reminded me that at some point, when I get a break in regular training, I'm going to need to pull some of my FOS's into the training room and give them a refresher HAZMAT course.

Last edited:
“ Here “ refers to XPOs XCO terminal.

Hearing the cameras will be tripped by driver movement. If you reach for the radio or a drink. It will record you. It will be scanning your eyes. And if you aren’t checking your mirrors. Or have a blank stare. They can shut the truck down. They are saying it will be recording audio. And that you can fired for things you say during recorded events.
What you're hearing about the capabilities of the new cameras is correct, but I also heard that when they piloted it using that part of the software, it was going off much too often and they were concerned about driver privacy, Right?! But all the same that's what I was told and I was also told that feature will be disabled. I guess we won't know until we start using them.

What you're hearing about the capabilities of the new cameras is correct, but I also heard that when they piloted it using that part of the software, it was going off much too often and they were concerned about driver privacy, Right?! But all the same that's what I was told and I was also told that feature will be disabled. I guess we won't know until we start using them.

We were told a whole lot when the rolled out the last camera. Funny how things ended up much different than advertised.

We were originally told when the current drivecam rolled out it would only be a coaching tool . Well here we are now and it’s being used to terminate drivers ( except at our barn) The insurance discounts will bring them to using the new camera and all of its options at some point. GUARANTEED !

We were originally told when the current drivecam rolled out it would only be a coaching tool . Well here we are now and it’s being used to terminate drivers ( except at our barn) The insurance discounts will bring them to using the new camera and all of its options at some point. GUARANTEED !

Insurance discounts ? Getting everyone to quit discount. The labor is the single largest expense.

We were told a whole lot when the rolled out the last camera. Funny how things ended up much different than advertised.
We're all skeptical about the company's intent regarding the new cameras and that skepticism leads to options.
You get a belly full of camera coaching and find work somewhere else where they don't do that.
or
You take a chance with the union and try to change the company's behavior in the next contract.
Because we all know the cameras are here to stay.

The trainer at this barn goes through and "watches" all of the videos for those he's supposed to be training with those videos.
Sounds like it's time for your SCM to consider replacing him with a better trainer. The videos aren't intended to be stand alone teaching tools. Does the trainer at your barn also take the tests for them?

Sounds like it's time for your SCM to consider replacing him with a better trainer. The videos aren't intended to be stand alone teaching tools. Does the trainer at your barn also take the tests for them?
I can't say if that happens for sure or not...I think top level training is one part of building and maintaining a top notch company.

It can't be top level ( in my opinion ) if there's so much inconsistency from one location to the next as far as what trainers are doing and what they are allowed to do.

To be a trainer ( in my opinion ) a driver should set a good example ( and be able to DO what he/she is training new people to do )

With the way the setup is now , this is a dumping ground position to place kissasses that don't produce when placed in everyday driving positions. Trainers have a quasi-authority role without the responsibility. This creates a cycle that attracts the WRONG types of folks to the training position in the first place AND makes the few good trainers we have look bad because there are SO many crappy trainers that exist in the first place.

And on top of everything else , there's MORE pay involved? Could you please explain how much more pay is giving when doing a driving school?
Is there more pay involved for coaching? How about training dockworkers?

Thank you for all of the explaining Scotch. It really helps when these things are talked about in the open and cleared up!

Last edited:
I can't say if that happens for sure or not...I think top level training is one part of building and maintaining a top notch company.

It can't be top level ( in my opinion ) if there's so much inconsistency from one location to the next as far as what trainers are doing and what they are allowed to do.

To be a trainer ( in my opinion ) a driver should set a good example ( and be able to DO what he/she is training new people to do )

With the way the setup is now , this is a dumping ground position to place kissasses that don't produce when placed in everyday driving positions. Trainers have a quasi-authority role without the responsibility. This creates a cycle that attracts the WRONG types of folks to the training position in the first place AND makes the few good trainers we have look bad because there are SO many crappy trainers that exist in the first place.

And on top of everything else , there's MORE pay involved? Could you please explain how much more pay is giving when doing a driving school?
Is there more pay involved for coaching? How about training dockworkers?

Thank you for all of the explaining Scotch. It really helps when these things are talked about in the open and cleared up!
Your bold words nailed it because that's exactly why I am explaining things, at least from POV. Extra pay for driver/trainers is limited to running a school only. There is a special Kronos code we swipe when we're running a school and it triggers the extra pay and it's not much, but I appreciate the gesture. For onboarding and other trainer related duties, we swipe 321 and get paid our regular rate. Everything you said in the post I agree with and I think one's view on the company is created at the local level, specifically the culture set by the SCM. We're fortunate enough at my barn to have a good, but I know there plenty of terminals that aren't so lucky and it sucks. We used to have a kiss ass trainer at my place because we had a horrible SCM who was concerned about numbers and doing the bare minimum to comply with policy. So I know what it's like to be in a barn like that. He might even be reading as I know he used to frequent these message boards. So I'll say to him, I liked you as a person, but as a terminal manager you weren't the right man for the job.

Your bold words nailed it because that's exactly why I am explaining things, at least from POV. Extra pay for driver/trainers is limited to running a school only. There is a special Kronos code we swipe when we're running a school and it triggers the extra pay and it's not much, but I appreciate the gesture. For onboarding and other trainer related duties, we swipe 321 and get paid our regular rate. Everything you said in the post I agree with and I think one's view on the company is created at the local level, specifically the culture set by the SCM. We're fortunate enough at my barn to have a good, but I know there plenty of terminals that aren't so lucky and it sucks. We used to have a kiss ass trainer at my place because we had a horrible SCM who was concerned about numbers and doing the bare minimum to comply with policy. So I know what it's like to be in a barn like that. He might even be reading as I know he used to frequent these message boards. So I'll say to him, I liked you as a person, but as a terminal manager you weren't the right man for the job.
Here is may biggest bitch with the training or on boarding. While they are in training the trainee is paid by the hour and in my area OT after 8. Now I have heard of trainees making more in a night on LH then there trainers did. Now is that really fair. It's 25.08 in my area to start for an exp driver. So after 8hrs he making $37.62 to do the same I job I'm paid $31. This is one of the reasons I will not train
Now when I can here I was paid a flat rate for the week, and I didn't think that was fair either. What would be fair is to pay the trainee on the same pay scale that that job pays. If he work city then by the hour, on LH mileage/hr pay. Now that fair.

No saw it sitting in the yard at XHG

Having UN number on is better then not, even if you don't need them
I have to respectfully disagree with this. The UN numbers on placards are used to communicate to first responders that the HAZMAT is in bulk packaging or that there is a massive amount of a single HAZMAT on that trailer and nothing else, and could ill affect the way they act on an accident scene. I would also add that for as long as I've been teaching HAZMAT and taking the state test every four years, I've not seen anything that says something to the effect of when in doubt, use UN numbers instead of standard placards.