XPO | XPO to buy YRC

Actually you would get a pay raise. Contract states that if we’re bought out, our pay rates and vacations days go back to original contractual agreement. So with cost living raise we get yearly that would put hourly at $26+ with time and half after 8 overtime. Road rate pushing .64 cpm, and vacations max out at 6 weeks plus 5 personal days. Win for all parties.
Just recently, a major corporation in a town near mine sold part of it's union manufacturing plant to a non-union company. What happened afterward to the sold off portion of the business wasn't good for the union employees. They were all fired and replaced with non-union employees brought in by the new company. Personally, I don't think Ron Jacobs is going to buy YRC, but if they were bought out by a non-union carrier, what's legal protections does the union have against the new company not honoring the union contract between Teamsters and YRC? For that matter, why should the new company honor a contract that it was never a part of? Wouldn't the former YRC drivers have to start over and negotiate a new contract at best or worry about being threatened with decertification or being terminated? I'm just asking questions, not trying to start any fights here. I truly don't know the answers and wondered if anyone else does.

Just recently, a major corporation in a town near mine sold part of it's union manufacturing plant to a non-union company. What happened afterward to the sold off portion of the business wasn't good for the union employees. They were all fired and replaced with non-union employees brought in by the new company. Personally, I don't think Ron Jacobs is going to buy YRC, but if they were bought out by a non-union carrier, what's legal protections does the union have against the new company not honoring the union contract between Teamsters and YRC? For that matter, why should the new company honor a contract that it was never a part of? Wouldn't the former YRC drivers have to start over and negotiate a new contract at best or worry about being threatened with decertification or being terminated? I'm just asking questions, not trying to start any fights here. I truly don't know the answers and wondered if anyone else does.
If I’m correct they would have to close shop and move the whole operation within so many miles away to close shop that would fall under NLRB laws. Situation like that is in the courts now in Minneapolis.

XPO buying YRC just wouldn't work, IMO. We had a couple of Teamsters come over to our place awhile back, after the big recession. One of them did a great job and fit right in with his new non-union environment. As to the other, he brought with him what I'm going to call, an extreme union mindset. He just couldn't seem to get onboard with the idea that he had to break his own sets and put his trailers to the door, he got attitude if, on a rare occasion, he saw an FOS get on a forklift. He thought he was being worked too hard most days and complained about the fact that he couldn't linger at his pickup and delivery stops as long as he wanted. I don't know for sure if this guy is how some, most or all union guys act because I'm not there, but this guy clearly wasn't non-union material.

XPO buying YRC just wouldn't work, IMO. We had a couple of Teamsters come over to our place awhile back, after the big recession. One of them did a great job and fit right in with his new non-union environment. As to the other, he brought with him what I'm going to call, an extreme union mindset. He just couldn't seem to get onboard with the idea that he had to break his own sets and put his trailers to the door, he got attitude if, on a rare occasion, he saw an FOS get on a forklift. He thought he was being worked too hard most days and complained about the fact that he couldn't linger at his pickup and delivery stops as long as he wanted. I don't know for sure if this guy is how some, most or all union guys act because I'm not there, but this guy clearly wasn't non-union material.
Some take advantage of work rules. Majority does a fair days work for fair days pay.

Actually you would get a pay raise. Contract states that if we’re bought out, our pay rates and vacations days go back to original contractual agreement. So with cost living raise we get yearly that would put hourly at $26+ with time and half after 8 overtime. Road rate pushing .64 cpm, and vacations max out at 6 weeks plus 5 personal days. Win for all parties.

What you describe here is roughly what I get now. Obviously no contract. But 26+ with OT after 8. .627 cents a mile. I get 4 weeks a year right now. Think it caps at 6. But not really the raise you are saying it would be. More or less. The same as it is now.

I don’t know
I hardly doubt the union membership would go for another extension. According to our freight director and the meetings he had with company executives the officials aren’t negotiating one either.
No the previous CEO of YRC done the harm to to the employees. Unions don’t operate the company.

But the union did push the MOU down the rank and files throats.

But the union did push the MOU down the rank and files throats.
"No" didn't mean "no" when it came time to choose to give up 15% - nowadays that would be called ****. Leadership told membership "no" means "yes" -
WCPZ9st.jpg

This was all likely the governments fault. The union is flawless. ( sarcasm )
Being on these boards as long as you have you have seen union and non-union people have a civil discussion. When honesty has dominated and common sense prevailed , the truth usually is easy to see.

The point being , that many that have relied on the union throughout their career admit that there are a lot of issues that could or should be fixed and it's not perfect. The other side of that coin is there is a reason why corporations are so opposed to unions - and it's not because they have their workers best interests in mind.

To find the answer that works best for you requires most of you to drop the b.s. talking points and listen and use your damn brain.

Being on these boards as long as you have you have seen union and non-union people have a civil discussion. When honesty has dominated and common sense prevailed , the truth usually is easy to see.

The point being , that many that have relied on the union throughout their career admit that there are a lot of issues that could or should be fixed and it's not perfect. The other side of that coin is there is a reason why corporations are so opposed to unions - and it's not because they have their workers best interests in mind.

To find the answer that works best for you requires most of you to drop the b.s. talking points and listen and use your damn brain.

People that throw stones and talk down to everyone after decades of brainwashed ignorance have no use for listening to others or using their brains.

Some people still demand you believe the earth is flat. There are some that you just cannot reach.

If there is anything this board has taught me, it just how low the common denominator is and how hopeless our society at large is today.

People like lying and prefer to be lied to. Like Jack said, you can’t handle the truth. And it’s true. That really is the truth. People refuse to hear or believe the truth. And get angry and violently upset when you bring it up.

Some people still demand you believe the earth is flat. There are some that you just cannot reach.

If there is anything this board has taught me, it just how low the common denominator is and how hopeless our society at large is today.

People like lying and prefer to be lied to. Like Jack said, you can’t handle the truth. And it’s true. That really is the truth. People refuse to hear or believe the truth. And get angry and violently upset when you bring it up.
Seems to have gotten worse since Donald Trump was elected President. And OH MY GOD, what if he is re-elected.

Seems to have gotten worse since Donald Trump was elected President. And OH MY GOD, what if he is re-elected.
We get what we deserve ( as far as President goes )
That doesn't make it right. Just the way it goes sometimes.

This is our culture now. People marched the streets protesting the election result. Effectively saying that they are against freedom, the political process and entire the concept of democracy. The " only my side should be able to win " crowd. Breaking down in hysterics over the news Trump had won.

If these people need so badly to be told what to do with their lives, I tell them to shut up, leave me alone and move to another country where they agree with your brand crazy. Then we can both be happy.

If I’m correct they would have to close shop and move the whole operation within so many miles away to close shop that would fall under NLRB laws. Situation like that is in the courts now in Minneapolis.

You are over thinking it. They would tell the rank and file to take what they are giving or else. Just like YRC did. The rank and file are cowards. They will do whatever they are told.

Any way. What I am hearing is this. XPO wants to expand its economy freight service. Con-way is a next day and two day carrier, primarily. We ain't set up for this. Our terminals are small with little room for growth. YRC is mostly an economy freight line. They have bed runs and big terminals in all the big places you need them to be.

He buys up the YRC part for peanuts due to it being completely under water. The banks insisting that the company cut the dead weight or not get financing on debt moving forward. The rest of YRC, the Holland etc side makes very good money, they can move forward in a very positive way.

This gives XPO more terminals, more flexibility and more protection against the driver shortage. Especially now that it is 2018 and e-logs are a full fledged reality. He can get the former YRC making money. Same as he did with us. Clear out the corporate office. Fire the board of directors. Right there you save 100's of millions yearly in salaries alone. Stream line maintenance channels and install improved IT solutions and so on. Jacobs and his team know how to get their money. YRC can be had for cheap. Just makes sense a little. So, I keep hearing.