XPO | XPO Union Thread #2

Well in fact every employee has a contract. When you accept a job at any company you agree to there terms of employment. If you don't like there terms then don't except the job.
Not true your “at will” . You have no contract written or implied. You can be terminated for no reason at anytime. If you see this any different you are only kidding yourself. Yes you are free to walk at anytime but so is a contractual employee.

I hear all the time that unions are no longer needs because of laws that now protect workers. The only laws that protects workers are the most basic. They deal with age (child labor) ,discrimination based on age, race or religion. Minimum wage and overtime. Other than that as an at will employe you have no protection. Don’t believe me call the labor board and ask. Unless you have a contract you have only those basic protections. Call the labor board and tell them you came into work and they told you that your terminated. They gave you no reason but just said your services were no longer needed anymore. See what they say. I can tell you what they’ll say but you won’t like it.

Last edited:
In most cases companies go out and recruit these top mangers. Just like sports teams recruit top players. I have yet see a CEO job posting on indeed or any company site
What does this have to do with my post? Yup you are right they don't advertise openings, they don't have to, its the good old boys club...I will use my example of Bill Zollars, he went from Kodak (which I don't know much about his tenure there, but Kodak is a much smaller company now) to Yellow (no transportation experience) who he nearly bankrupted, to the Postal Service Board of Governors (don't know what makes him qualified there other than buddies with President Trump)....sports teams at least try to recruit good players instead of retreads like Zollars...

Not true your “at will” . You have no contract written or implied. You can be terminated for no reason at anytime. If you see this any different you are only kidding yourself. Yes you are free to walk at anytime but so is a contractual employee.
The forest thru the trees... Contracts come in many forms. When you accept a job here you accept their terms of employment. That's a contract. Yes you are an at will employee and the company can make any changes to it. It's all in writing for you to read. Like I said if you don't like then don't accept the job.
Now lets not forget you were an at will employee for how long???

What does this have to do with my post? Yup you are right they don't advertise openings, they don't have to, its the good old boys club...I will use my example of Bill Zollars, he went from Kodak (which I don't know much about his tenure there, but Kodak is a much smaller company now) to Yellow (no transportation experience) who he nearly bankrupted, to the Postal Service Board of Governors (don't know what makes him qualified there other than buddies with President Trump)....sports teams at least try to recruit good players instead of retreads like Zollars...
It has alot to do. If a company is recruiting you you have an upper hand. The company will make an offer and in most cases the one they are recruiting. They will either accept or counter offer. When they go after driver they make you an offer have you every tried to make a counter offer? Probable not. How many new hires do you know that get time off without having any PTO...It seem they made a counter offer on there hiring terms.

Postal Service Board of Governors (don't know what makes him qualified there other than buddies with President Trump)....sports teams at least try to recruit good players instead of retreads like Zollars...
We can a say the same thing about bidens cabinet too...What does Buttigieg know about the transportation and he just got $1T to spend

It has alot to do. If a company is recruiting you you have an upper hand. The company will make an offer and in most cases the one they are recruiting. They will either accept or counter offer. When they go after driver they make you an offer have you every tried to make a counter offer? Probable not. How many new hires do you know that get time off without having any PTO...It seem they made a counter offer on there hiring terms.
You are assuming alot....I'm not a wet behind the ears kid. I ask many questions and sometimes I'm lied to...when I interviewed with Con-Way I asked about forced weekend work...the reply was we only run Mon through Friday...guess who was told he was "on call" the second week he was there? I refused a different job when during the interview I asked about the cost of insurance....too much for what they wanted to pay...and lastly i interviewed for a job and told them i had a trip planned on my third week i would be there and if that was a problem i couldn't accept the job....I think the whole hiring of upper management is rigged...they don't care about recruiting the best person at all, if they did they would advertise it and get the best person...not board member Fred's brother in law Bill......its that way on purpose though....you can't demand huge salaries if they have 20 other good qualified applicants...the good old boys club is alive and well....

We can a say the same thing about bidens cabinet too...What does Buttigieg know about the transportation and he just got $1T to spend
Oh no not that!!! You say the good old boys club is alive and well in politics too! Say it isn't so....two wrongs don't make a right do they? Well I guess it's ok if Republicans do something shady and you are fly, or democrats do something shady and you are OV...

Well I guess it's ok if Republicans do something shady and you are fly, or democrats do something shady and you are OV...
Wait a minute!! OV’s avatar is an airplane. Maybe Fly-by-night and OV-10 are the same person with multiple personalities. Could this be a Trucking Boards conspiracy? And, does this make this person “bi-litical” from a political stand point?
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Last edited:
I hear all the time that unions are no longer needs because of laws that now protect workers. The only laws that protects workers are the most basic. They deal with age (child labor) ,discrimination based on age, race or religion. Minimum wage and overtime. Other than that as an at will employe you have no protection. Don’t believe me call the labor board and ask. Unless you have a contract you have only those basic protections. Call the labor board and tell them you came into work and they told you that your terminated. They gave you no reason but just said your services were no longer needed anymore. See what they say. I can tell you what they’ll say but you won’t like it.
I'm scratching my head here. What is it that makes you think that labor is so GD great that we deserve anything other than basic protection. I mean the at-will relationship cuts equally. As an at-will employee, you can quit anytime you want, with no notice or reason. Hiring new employees is expensive and in today's labor market, finding good ones is getting more difficult than ever. And you also have to consider that just because an at-will employer can execute on it, that doesn't mean they're going to and most likely they won't, if you're a half way decent employee. While perhaps the union grievance process is well intentioned, it can be and is abused by crappy employees, and gives the company little leeway to improve it's workforce.

Not wishing to drag this thread into the weeds, but I want to comment on this. When I first learned of him during the primaries, I looked up the town he was mayor at, South Bend, Indiana. So I figured I'd do a little research and I learned that it's town that has been dominated by Democrats, it's been a s-hole for the last 50 years, and he did nothing to improve it and now he's running the DOT. Talk about keeping one's enemies closer, there it is playing out before our eyes. But here's the nuts and bolts of this post. If the former mayor wants to do something to help clear the backlog of freight stuck in our ports, he could ask the president for an executive order that temporarily changes the 16 hour adverse weather exemption from every five days to every day and change the 10 hour reset between last on duty and driving to 8 hours. That move alone would give the OTR guys the ability to make an extra 200 miles a day over what they make now. It would also allow the FAC's to hold drivers on the docks longer or give longer vias and the city guys extra time to move more freight in a work day.

I'm scratching my head here. What is it that makes you think that labor is so GD great that we deserve anything other than basic protection. I mean the at-will relationship cuts equally. As an at-will employee, you can quit anytime you want, with no notice or reason.
A Union employee can quit at any time with no notice or reason as well.
Hiring new employees is expensive and in today's labor market, finding good ones is getting more difficult than ever.
That applies to both Union and Non-Union companies.
And you also have to consider that just because an at-will employer can execute on it, that doesn't mean they're going to and most likely they won't, if you're a half way decent employee.
I would much rather work under a contract that states what I can and can’t be fired for.
While perhaps the union grievance process is well intentioned, it can be and is abused by crappy employees, and gives the company little leeway to improve it's workforce.
So I guess you are saying there are no “crappy employees” at XPO?
And, in case you did not know, the grievance process is used to prevent the company from violating the contractual rights of an employee. I have said it and heard it before, and it still applies today. “No one needs representation until they need representation”.

Scotch, I have no problem with you or anyone else choosing to work Non-Union. That is your choice and I respect that. I just don’t appreciate it when someone disrespects Union employees by saying that our grievance process is abused by “crappy employees”. The grievance process is there to prevent the employer from showing favoritism and to prevent wrongful suspensions and discharges. It is not perfect, but a Union employee has a much better chance of getting their job back when wrongfully discharged. And a lot of times with full back pay. What rights do you as a Non-Union employee (at will) have if you are wrongfully discharged or suspended by your employer?

Not wishing to drag this thread into the weeds, but I want to comment on this. When I first learned of him during the primaries, I looked up the town he was mayor at, South Bend, Indiana. So I figured I'd do a little research and I learned that it's town that has been dominated by Democrats, it's been a s-hole for the last 50 years, and he did nothing to improve it and now he's running the DOT. Talk about keeping one's enemies closer, there it is playing out before our eyes. But here's the nuts and bolts of this post. If the former mayor wants to do something to help clear the backlog of freight stuck in our ports, he could ask the president for an executive order that temporarily changes the 16 hour adverse weather exemption from every five days to every day and change the 10 hour reset between last on duty and driving to 8 hours. That move alone would give the OTR guys the ability to make an extra 200 miles a day over what they make now. It would also allow the FAC's to hold drivers on the docks longer or give longer vias and the city guys extra time to move more freight in a work day.
So you think it is a good idea to add an additional 200 miles onto a road drivers day? Everyday? Why not just do away with the DOT and OSHA while your at it. LOL!!!

Totally unsafe suggestion and no offense but it surprised me coming from a safety instructor. Hold our guys on the docks longer ? When is it enough ? Work a 16 hr day ? Your kidding right ? No wonder you question unionization. I hope your not hearing this from managers as a suggestion .

So you think it is a good idea to add an additional 200 miles onto a road drivers day? Everyday? Why not just do away with the DOT and OSHA while your at it. LOL!!!
First question, answer: it is a good idea until the supply chain is back to normal. Everyday until they come up on their 34hr reset and in the other post, I never advocated to suspend it. Second question: yes, scale those agencies back and eliminate others. Presidential powers have grown to large and can be too intrusive to commerce.

Totally unsafe suggestion and no offense but it surprised me coming from a safety instructor. Hold our guys on the docks longer ? When is it enough ? Work a 16 hr day ? Your kidding right ? No wonder you question unionization. I hope your not hearing this from managers as a suggestion .
Of course my suggestion has the potential to raise the accident factor. But right now, the needle between risk factor and safety needs to move toward risk to stave off the possibility of more supply chain issues.

Of course my suggestion has the potential to raise the accident factor. But right now, the needle between risk factor and safety needs to move toward risk to stave off the possibility of more supply chain issues. Enough is enough when we get the supply chain back to normal.

Of course my suggestion has the potential to raise the accident factor. But right now, the needle between risk factor and safety needs to move toward risk to stave off the possibility of more supply chain issues.
Lives are worth more than supply chain issues. I’m sorry but I have to strongly disagree with the suggestion. No offense but I think it’s a reckless idea.