XPO | XPO Union Thread #2

The last freight company that was organized company wide was UPS Freight. Anyone with a handful of brain cells knows that was a Hoffa Jr. and UPS (parcel) sweetheart deal to get him re-elected at the same time getting them out of the CSPF. The UPS Freight workers were in the Teamsters 401k plan.

NO NEW COMPANIES WILL EVER JOIN THE TEAMSTERS AND GET IN THE CENTRAL STATES PENSION FUND. The unfunded liability is too high. Any newly organized company that was forced to join the CSPF would fold up immediately.

The Central States pension fund has now been bailed out by tax payers. Tom Nyhan and co. “lost” the billions UPS had to pay to get out of it Back in the 00’s. They claimed the crash of ’08 is what lost that money. The boom afterwards where everyone made their money back except CSPF was just the way it goes I guess. Welcome to hard times, amirite?

Anyway, deregulation from before I was even born “is what killed the Teamsters”. It has nothing to do with how their members treat people, their organizations arrogance, or them not organizing the non union truckload or ltl freight companies that were springing up in the late 70’s or early 80’s because of the “they need us more than we need them” mentality.

Is everyone that is a Central States member that was affected by the YRCW votes for wage cuts and pension cuts guaranteed a job at ABF? UPS (parcel) no longer pays into that fund, so it’s pretty much just ABF in freight now that Yellow is only paying 25%.

If XPO employees do actually organize they will not be in the CSPF.

The last freight company that was organized company wide was UPS Freight. Anyone with a handful of brain cells knows that was a Hoffa Jr. and UPS (parcel) sweetheart deal to get him re-elected at the same time getting them out of the CSPF. The UPS Freight workers were in the Teamsters 401k plan.

NO NEW COMPANIES WILL EVER JOIN THE TEAMSTERS AND GET IN THE CENTRAL STATES PENSION FUND. The unfunded liability is too high. Any newly organized company that was forced to join the CSPF would fold up immediately.

The Central States pension fund has now been bailed out by tax payers. Tom Nyhan and co. “lost” the billions UPS had to pay to get out of it Back in the 00’s. They claimed the crash of ’08 is what lost that money. The boom afterwards where everyone made their money back except CSPF was just the way it goes I guess. Welcome to hard times, amirite?

Anyway, deregulation from before I was even born “is what killed the Teamsters”. It has nothing to do with how their members treat people, their organizations arrogance, or them not organizing the non union truckload or ltl freight companies that were springing up in the late 70’s or early 80’s because of the “they need us more than we need them” mentality.

Is everyone that is a Central States member that was affected by the YRCW votes for wage cuts and pension cuts guaranteed a job at ABF? UPS (parcel) no longer pays into that fund, so it’s pretty much just ABF in freight now that Yellow is only paying 25%.

If XPO employees do actually organize they will not be in the CSPF.
You sound angry. Chill. It’s about taking care of all of us. Not the upper echelon. Don’t we all deserve security after we’ve paid our dues? I hope you agree

Look up what I said, it is all out there.

Quit being such a sensitive little flower and quit giving all millennials a bad wrap. Sound angry on a written post. Lol.

I’m neutral. I have family who are Teamsters. I’m non union.

I don’t know what your second response means.

In Russia Truckingboards posts on you though.

The UPS Freight workers were in the Teamsters 401k plan.
Not true...they are in their own fund now with the withdrawal from central states, and to my knowledge CS is closed to any new participants...this is a recent update by the Teamsters to UPS freight members...

No true...they are in their own fund now with the withdrawal from central states, and to my knowledge CS is closed to any new participants...this is a recent update by the Teamsters to UPS freight members...

Overnite had pension too. I was pretty sure that UPS Freight was in the Teamsters 401k plan. If I was mistaken, I apologize for spreading fake news,

Overnite had pension too. I was pretty sure that UPS Freight was in the Teamsters 401k plan. If I was mistaken, I apologize for spreading fake news,
Any teamster can participate in the teamster 401k....when UPS withdrew from CS they formed a fund with the teamsters to take care of retirees and current employees....they still have a pension....

Today, the Central States Pension Fund has more than approximately 1,000 contributing employers representing over 45,000 active participants in a variety of industries, including trucking, car haul, warehouse, construction, food processing, dairy and grocery trucking.

No true...they are in their own fund now with the withdrawal from central states, and to my knowledge CS is closed to any new participants...this is a recent update by the Teamsters to UPS freight members...

CS has been poorly operated. I was reading up on the PGCA because my brother in law who retired after 44 years with Sears just found out his pension through sears…. Which wasn’t huge but something…. Is now under the pension guarantee umbrella. Obviously certain conferences are fully funded yet CS has been the fly that makes those anti organized labor people feel like they’ve got traction and have all the answers. Unless you’ve actually walked in organized labor all you have is an opinion. Myself…..I’m pro organized labor. Mainly because of the pension and healthcare benefits. That I’ll take over a paycheck any day.

You’re right. UPS freight came in under the newly formed UPS package. The UPS package pension is greatly reduced since they paid the 7 billion to get out.

Today, the Central States Pension Fund has more than approximately 1,000 contributing employers representing over 45,000 active participants in a variety of industries, including trucking, car haul, warehouse, construction, food processing, dairy and grocery trucking.
What other “freight” companies beside ABF? Standard Forwarding (owned by DHL) and Yellow (formerly YRCW) are both in at reduced rates.

I’ll save you a Google search, none.

The cement mixers have a class 17 pension.

The grocery warehouse and haulers have a class 17 pension.

The manufacturers have a class 16 pension if they have a pension at all.

The Teamsters union dropped the ball.

First, by not doing a massive organizing drive in the early 80’s in truckload and ltl.

Second, by undermining every CSPF member letting UPS out.

Third, letting the NMFA get busted up by giving YRCW companies a different expiration date than ABF and allowing the YRCW companies to put in less to CSPF.

So facts make me anti-union?

This thread is about XPO. If the XPO employees vote for Teamsters representation, the ones in the Central States Pension Fund area will not be placed in the Central States Pension Fund. The unfunded liability is too much.

The only thing XPO workers would gain would be the grievance procedure. The work rules are already generally in place, while there might be some changes, they’d be pretty minor. Their healthcare would be negotiated and they might still have to pay a little bit.

Realistically, what would they gain? We always see “a voice at the workplace” “respect on the job” and healthcare and retirement.

What is the difference between the 401k they have and the “Teamsters 401k”?

What other “freight” companies beside ABF? Standard Forwarding (owned by DHL) and Yellow (formerly YRCW) are both in at reduced rates.

I’ll save you a Google search, none.

The cement mixers have a class 17 pension.

The grocery warehouse and haulers have a class 17 pension.

The manufacturers have a class 16 pension if they have a pension at all.

The Teamsters union dropped the ball.

First, by not doing a massive organizing drive in the early 80’s in truckload and ltl.

Second, by undermining every CSPF member letting UPS out.

Third, letting the NMFA get busted up by giving YRCW companies a different expiration date than ABF and allowing the YRCW companies to put in less to CSPF.

So facts make me anti-union?
I never said you were anti anything now did I?....I was merely pointing out that there are many contributing employers.....I actually agree with you that the Teamsters did indeed drop the ball by lack of organizing....I don't believe that they could stop UPS if they paid the withdrawal liability either, although I wish they could have stopped it... I agree also about the NMFA should have been kept together, but I don't see how, with the two companies having differences in wages and pension contributions....if you remember ABF was already very litigious about YRC getting a break, so I don't think the teamsters really had a choice there either...

The YRCW guys were given a chance to keep voting until they “got it right”. I do remember that. They voted no on one round of concessions and then a week later another vote and it miraculously passed. With half the board losing a week of vacation or something.