XPO | XPO Union Thread #2

I'm not. Lmao.

What I am doing is my absolute best to organize workers, both on the ground and via podcasting, and help out where I can in my community.

But if electoral paths ever open up I'll participate as a voter while doing all of the above.

Good luck. This isn't a community issue, it starts at the federal government. Big business and the feds are in bed together and no amount of grass roots organizing will fix that.

Good luck. This isn't a community issue, it starts at the federal government. Big business and the feds are in bed together and no amount of grass roots organizing will fix that.
Bottom up is the only way to fix it. Unions and community organizing are the single best way to check both corporate power and federal/political power.

Good luck going the other way.

Bottom up is the only way to fix it. Unions and community organizing are the single best way to check both corporate power and federal/political power.

Good luck going the other way.

I'm not going any way. I just go with the flow and make the best of it.

Yes, restaurants can pay workers more and raise prices. Pay workers more, raise the prices 20%, end tipping because now your workers are actually making money, customer pays no more.
What? you say raise prices 20% but the customer pays no more. Makes no sense

I didn't think my little article would start such a big discussion.
In the end how long is any business going to stay open if they don't make a profit.
Pre-covid my wife and I would eat out 2 to 3 a month, from fast food to 4/5 star restaurants. Post-Covid might have been 5 times this year. We went from 26+ per year to under 10 this year. It all has to do with cost. I say hell let them unionize and give them the full boat and when the place has to raise prices and customers stop eating out, profits fall the doors will close. I can cook at home and we will see who will last longer.
The problem I have is now that we pay $15 and the lazy one can't even put a fish sandwich together correctly. They want more pay but the standard of quality has gone down. I have no problem pay for a quality meal but pay $10+ for a Mcdees meal with cold fries and a f'up sandwich is a waste of my money.

Customers tip around 20%. End tipping, raise prices 20% to pay wages. It's a wash from customers perspective.
So you raise prices 20% and now I get sh1tty service. How is that a wash. The problem is there are to many that want to be treated like royalty but pay budget rates.

Getting back into the LTL end of this we have been told for many years that the profit margins were thin in this business.
When I came here Con-way OR was around 94-95. That's just paying the bills with little to no reinvestment back into the company.
Recently we witnessed Jacobs over the last year cash in nearly a billion dollars in stock while making his departure to some degree from Xpo
"Jacobs has created six billion-dollar or multi-billion-dollar corporations from scratch, including four publicly traded corporations"
What have you done. Life is about choices.

Normal people: Let's make the world better in some small way, especially for the most vulnerable amongst us. Here are several reasons why this would be good.

Weirdos: I OnCe hAd A uGLy FIsH sAnDWicH!

Don’t blame the workers for increased prices.
It’s corporate greed.
Here lets try this one

They blame the pandemic and supply chain, but who help casue this problem. Who has control of the WH and Congress in 2021. Who passed higher taxes for corps. Who is suppose to be for the working man. In the graph were is the highest jump. So who is really for big business. I think It might be the Big Guy

Here lets try this one

They blame the pandemic and supply chain, but who help casue this problem. Who has control of the WH and Congress in 2021. Who passed higher taxes for corps. Who is suppose to be for the working man. In the graph were is the highest jump. So who is really for big business. I think It might be the Big Guy
How does your broken brain actually make sense of what you wrote here? Lmao.

Was Biden the guy who ****ed up your McFish, or what? Lol.

Here lets try this one

?

Getting back into the LTL end of this we have been told for many years that the profit margins were thin in this business. Recently we witnessed Jacobs over the last year cash in nearly a billion dollars in stock while making his departure to some degree from Xpo . No profit ? Just a portion of that billion could have made huge improvements to Xpo employees benefits and retirement while still allowing him to make a killing. Can’t say it’s not possible because it just happened.
This more and more common recent years in many industries . Compensation inequality is rampant. It is outrageous how these corporate types want to stifle unions as their margins increase . Nobody is begrudges them their fair due for their hard endeavors but let’s get real .

Jillian ? I thought they finally fired you ? Still doing this ? For what ?

Anyway. Remember how Labrie sold us out and got paid $15 million to leave the company ?

Remember how Stotlar sold Con-way and got just short of $20 million for the sale ? And still got his golden parachute ?

I mean. These guys did pretty good. But they are amatuers compared to Jacobs. And you guys just keep coming to work. Filling his pockets. Why wouldn't he do it ? Talk about easy money !!!

If and when there is a Recession union employees would be at a distinct at advantage due to their contractual agreement with their employer. If a recession were to occur in the middle of a contractual agreement term employees would have the advantage of that binding document . Their employer would have to approve grave financial distress to bring an amendment to vote during the contract and they will have a vote on it. Nonunion non-contractual employees could be at risk of a give back during a recession. (Con-way 2008). If the employer decide to take back compensation non union employees will have no say. Thats one of the reasons Xpo fights unionization so hard.

I think the article you posted applies to the uptick in new union activities with companies that have yet been unionized. A recession MAY put employers at an advantage at those non union companies.

Advantage ? I remeber them YRC guys coming over and working for Con-way. You needed 20 years or you were laid off. And most of them didn't go back when called. Because they knew it would only be for a week and then back to laid off. And as everyone else pointed out... but you can go to the YRC page and ask about give backs for yourself. Just stupid what you said there. Plumb dumb.

I don't think people are paying attention to what's happening. They just hear "wage increase" and yell "yaaaaaaaay".

Companies starting paying more when they needed less people. I can now order my food on an app and it's ready when I get there. No need for cashiers. I can even have somebody walk it to my car. In the restaurant the person at the counter tells me to use the kiosk. If the ease of this isn't incentive enough, I get coupons and free stuff for bypassing in person ordering. Now, the restaurant pays 2 people 15/hr instead of paying 4 people 8/hr.

Supermarkets are no different. They have self checkout set up.. One cashier open and 10 self checkout lanes. You get accustomed to doing it yourself because nobody wants to stand on a line for 20 minutes if they don't have to.

Sure the companies will play ball while they have to, but they're getting rid of the jobs they don't need. The more employees cost them, the more they're faster they're looking to automate jobs and get rid of them. Consumers become accustomed to because they're offered free stuff and convenience.

Start all the unions you want. It doesn't change the fact that this country (if not the world) is run by big tech, big pharma, big retail, big banks and the military industrial complex. Nobody cares about little employees unionizing. They'll tolerate for now, but they shrinking their staff and doing it fast. What good is it to be an unemployed union member?

I don't think people are paying attention to what's happening. They just hear "wage increase" and yell "yaaaaaaaay".

Companies starting paying more when they needed less people. I can now order my food on an app and it's ready when I get there. No need for cashiers. I can even have somebody walk it to my car. In the restaurant the person at the counter tells me to use the kiosk. If the ease of this isn't incentive enough, I get coupons and free stuff for bypassing in person ordering. Now, the restaurant pays 2 people 15/hr instead of paying 4 people 8/hr.

Supermarkets are no different. They have self checkout set up.. One cashier open and 10 self checkout lanes. You get accustomed to doing it yourself because nobody wants to stand on a line for 20 minutes if they don't have to.

Sure the companies will play ball while they have to, but they're getting rid of the jobs they don't need. The more employees cost them, the more they're faster they're looking to automate jobs and get rid of them. Consumers become accustomed to because they're offered free stuff and convenience.

Start all the unions you want. It doesn't change the fact that this country (if not the world) is run by big tech, big pharma, big retail, big banks and the military industrial complex. Nobody cares about little employees unionizing. They'll tolerate for now, but they shrinking their staff and doing it fast. What good is it to be an unemployed union member?

Damn good post. The future is only a day away.