XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you think they didn't consider it? Did you offer anything in return for accepting TeamCare other than that line about it being a similar cost?

I know they didn't consider it because I was in the room for their response. As to what was offered in return for accepting Team Care is something I can't discuss here. I can tell you that, at this point in the negotiations, usually both sides begin "horse trading". I'll take this , if you give me that. XPO wants to keep all the horses and let us walk.

Okay, but that doesn't mean the rules are wrong or extraordinarily strict. You are legally required to stop for a stop sign. You are legally required to wear a seatbelt on the road. If you make it subjective, what happens if someone gets a ticket or is involved in an accident and tells the cops the company told them they didn't have to stop or wear a belt?

How can you proselytize for work rules and fairness and then at the same time feel like you can decide which rules are valid enough for you to follow?

Please see Post # 7918. I don't want to explain it all again.

To add to your point. No driver, or driver coach acting in the capacity of a driver can go an entire career without making some mistakes that are going to be caught on the OBR. That doesn't change the fact that someone needs to be there as a coach to remind those not in compliance with law or policy to improve their driving behavior and habits. Judges aren't perfect either, but someone has to do it.

I don't disagree. Please see my response to you in Post # 7918. It's the best explanation I can offer about why I feel the way I do. Thanks.

Here's a good one. On Monday, last week, a driver was called in to the office and questioned about the length of time he took in returning to the terminal from his last stop. The FOS pulled up XPO's version of Google Maps, which indicated his trip should have taken 30 minutes instead of the 2 hours he took to get back. The driver explained about the rush hour traffic and that he stopped and punched for lunch on the way back.

I would bet my life that the written record of this "Verbal Counseling" makes no mention of the drivers explanation for the delay in returning to the terminal. This is called building a case for termination.

They can and they have done so, here in Miami.
I can think of MANY examples over my many years with this company we’re a supervisor built a case on a driver because they didn’t care for them and that even included some real straight line company guys.
I have even had supervisors confide in me that they were determined to get someone terminated.

I actually agree with most of what you placed on both lists. It seems that the majority of items are right out of the Policies and Procedures manual. I would argue with the following:
My responses to your points in quotations.
7. Pre and post trip. I am sure that you know the DOT required steps for a Pre trip and you also know that there isn't one driver in this company that does a proper Pre trip. There is no mandated time frame under DOT regulations, however, a proper Pre trip should take between 20 to 25 minutes. No way to accomplish this within the time allowed under PD 11. Therefore, with the exception for fluid levels, tires and lights, no discipline should be issued for improper Pre trip.
"There are some discrepancies that can be detected in a good pre-trip beyond those you stated that would still cause the drivers yard dwell to be under 45 minutes. For example, a loose belt, a cracked hose, frayed wiring, missing cotter keys, loose lugnuts, air and fluid leaks, to name a few. Other things discrepancies such as a worn U-joint, loose slack adjusters, a mechanically defective fifth wheel hitch(in some cases) and others, are likely to be missed within the company's time frame. If a root cause investigation into an incident or accident reveals something a driver missed or glossed over that was readily observable, then disciplinary measures should be taken. As to a proper pre-trip, I think that happens pretty much on CDL test day and not much other time for us or other trucking companies."

9. Insubordination is too broad a term for issuing discipline. If I raise my voice to an FOS, does that warrant discipline?
"I don't think that raising a voice alone is enough to warrant discipline because it's very common for people to do when they are emphatic about a point they are trying to raise."

11. Name calling etc. If the profanity and vulgarity were enforced, I would have not lasted one week. We are grown men, in an atmosphere where profanity and vulgarity are prevalent. These other conditions should be dealt with a meeting among the 2 employees and an FOS. Threats and sexual harassment should never be tolerated.
"Correct, it's not enforced and if it were enforced it would appear to be a one off, and possibly an attempt to single out a driver where bad blood exists between himself and a supervisor. I do agree that hourly employees should have an advocate at their side when being disciplined."

16. Unless the conversation becomes aggressive and/or violent, I should be able to say anything that's on my mind to any supervisor at any time. I would consider that part of the open door policy.
"I disagree. What you say should be pertinent to the situation at the time and/or work related. If your supervisor is in a meeting with his boss or other supervisors, you shouldn't be able to interrupt their meeting for just anything at any time, that would be an abuse of the open door policy."

17. Certain SWI's simply cannot be followed as written. PD 10 is an example. Return from the city, enter the gate and you have 17 minutes to punch the clock. It's not possible. In addition, if you read PD 11, there is no provision in it for pulling the dock plate, sweeping out the trailer or putting your pallet jack away. Yet, they'll want to issue you a warning if these steps aren't completed.
"I think a warning issued in lieu of an easily created and obvious SWI should be considered as an improper warning. That's not to say that circumstances won't present themselves for discipline when there is no specific SWI pertaining to the matter."

20. Considering the condition of some of these tractors, it is impossible to catch all the conditions that could be cited in a roadside inspection. With the exception of the obvious ones like tires, lights and air lines.
"Yeah, I'm probably being kind of a douche bag on that one. I rescind that point."

Now that I have agreed with you in principle on most of these violations, let me say that supervisors have way too much discretion when considering the level of discipline to be assessed. This is where the "frivolous" part comes in.

1. I approach a stop sign. I slow to 2 mph and roll up to the intersection so I have a clear view of traffic in either direction. As I roll slowly past the huge tree on my left, that should have been trimmed by the city, a car becomes visible and I hit my brakes. The camera goes off. What level of discipline is appropriate ...If any at all.
"Other than coaching, no formal discipline required. Driver should be coached to the appropriate Smith System key and make a commitment to be more vigilant in the future."

2. I am in the right lane at 55 mph at what I consider to be a safe following distance. I hit a pot hole and the camera goes off. Lytx sends back a video stating I was too close to the vehicle in front of me at 3.5 seconds. How is it possible to account for .5 seconds at 55 mph?
"I've looked at more than a few drivecam videos and I have yet to see anyone get popped for a following distance greater than 3 seconds. These videos are reviewed by people who like the rest of us, make mistakes from time to time. Everytime I've seen a video related to following distance, I count the seconds as if I'm driving and most of the time they're pretty close."

3. I am in stop and go traffic. I am stopped when I get a text message notification. I pick up my Hand Held and check that the pick up I am on my way to has been unassigned and I have been assigned a new pick up. Traffic begins to move and I place my hand held back in the holder BEFORE I begin to move. Suddenly, the car in front stops short and I am forced to do the same. The camera goes off and technically I am in violation. Discipline or not.
"I do not consider this a frivolous act of discipline. The policy is clear, no handhelds or cell phones in hands while operating your equipment. You should be charged with the violation accordingly because even though you're stopped on the roadway, you're still operating your equipment. If I were your boss administering discipline for this, I would tell you that it could have waited until your next stop or until you found a safe place to park before attempting to check the message."

4.My tractor is OOS. I am assigned a tractor that should not be on any public highway. I hook and follow all required procedures including going under the trailer to confirm the hook. I drive one block from the terminal and drop the trailer. I call it in and hook back up and return immediately to the terminal...slowly. The next day, the vendor comes and diagnoses that the spring kit on the 5th wheel is defective. He replaces the spring kit. I am charged with an accident. I appeal and in the kangaroo court that ensues, I explain what happened, including the fact that the vendor replaced the spring kit. I am told that doesn't matter. Fair?
"If you knowingly took a tractor that as you say "should not be on any public highway," then God help you. I don't know how to respond to that other than to ask. Why the hell would you not put that unit OOS and move onto yet another unit? As for the defective fifth wheel hitch springs. If there is a diagnosis in writing then I think it does matter and I think you were treated unfairly."

I could go on, but all of the above happened to me.

If you read the March 01, 2018 manual, in Section 3, under Employee relations on page 35, it lists the FIVE levels of discipline that we are subject to. You won't find the acronym LOI any more. THE POLICY HAS CHANGED AGAIN. The new 5 levels of discipline are:
1. Verbal Counseling
2.Written Warning
3.Final Written Warning
4. OOS/Suspension
5. Termination.

The first sentence of the very next paragraph states:
The company does not follow a specific progressive discipline policy, but rather reserves the right, in it's sole discretion, to decide which type of discipline to issue in response to each situation, including terminating employees without a prior warning.
"Ok, so this is the new policy. Put yourself in another's shoes for moment. If your wife and kids were injured or killed because a driver while operating on a public highway, took a nap, was distracted, intoxicated, or whatever and you learned that it was his first offense and he got off with verbal counseling, would you be able to find a sense of closure related to the accident he caused? As far as I'm concerned, if you cause a DOT reportable accident that was ruled preventable, you should be either suspended or fired right out of the gate. Hopefully you'll land on your feet and become a liability with one of our competitors. What kind of negative PR would be generated for the company if it turned blind eye to such a situation and this information leaked out. What about the negative PR that would fall upon the Teamsters if it was learned this guy had a record of carelessness and was saved from being fired in the past because of the collective bargaining agreement struck relative to discipline?"

Last edited:
7. Pre and post trip. I am sure that you know the DOT required steps for a Pre trip and you also know that there isn't one driver in this company that does a proper Pre trip. There is no mandated time frame under DOT regulations, however, a proper Pre trip should take between 20 to 25 minutes. No way to accomplish this within the time allowed under PD 11. Therefore, with the exception for fluid levels, tires and lights, no discipline should be issued for improper Pre trip.
"There are some discrepancies that can be detected in a good pre-trip beyond those you stated that would still cause the drivers yard dwell to be under 45 minutes. For example, a loose belt, a cracked hose, frayed wiring, missing cotter keys, loose lugnuts, air and fluid leaks, to name a few. Other things discrepancies such as a worn U-joint, loose slack adjusters, a mechanically defective fifth wheel hitch(in some cases) and others, are likely to be missed within the company's time frame. If a root cause investigation into an incident or accident reveals something a driver missed or glossed over that was readily observable, then disciplinary measures should be taken. As to a proper pre-trip, I think that happens pretty much on CDL test day and not much other time for us or other trucking companies."

9. Insubordination is too broad a term for issuing discipline. If I raise my voice to an FOS, does that warrant discipline?
"I don't think that raising a voice alone is enough to warrant discipline because it's very common for people to do when they are emphatic about a point they are trying to raise."

11. Name calling etc. If the profanity and vulgarity were enforced, I would have not lasted one week. We are grown men, in an atmosphere where profanity and vulgarity are prevalent. These other conditions should be dealt with a meeting among the 2 employees and an FOS. Threats and sexual harassment should never be tolerated.
"Correct, it's not enforced and if it were enforced it would appear to be a one off, and possibly an attempt to single out a driver where bad blood exists between himself and a supervisor. I do agree that hourly employees should have an advocate at their side when being disciplined."

16. Unless the conversation becomes aggressive and/or violent, I should be able to say anything that's on my mind to any supervisor at any time. I would consider that part of the open door policy.
"I disagree. What you say should be pertinent to the situation at the time and/or work related. If your supervisor is in a meeting with his boss or other supervisors, you shouldn't be able to interrupt their meeting for just anything at any time, that would be an abuse of the open door policy."

17. Certain SWI's simply cannot be followed as written. PD 10 is an example. Return from the city, enter the gate and you have 17 minutes to punch the clock. It's not possible. In addition, if you read PD 11, there is no provision in it for pulling the dock plate, sweeping out the trailer or putting your pallet jack away. Yet, they'll want to issue you a warning if these steps aren't completed.
"I think a warning issued in lieu of an easily created and obvious SWI should be considered as an improper warning. That's not to say that circumstances won't present themselves for discipline when there is no specific SWI pertaining to the matter."

20. Considering the condition of some of these tractors, it is impossible to catch all the conditions that could be cited in a roadside inspection. With the exception of the obvious ones like tires, lights and air lines.
"Yeah, I'm probably being kind of a douche bag on that one. I rescind that point."

Now that I have agreed with you in principle on most of these violations, let me say that supervisors have way too much discretion when considering the level of discipline to be assessed. This is where the "frivolous" part comes in.

1. I approach a stop sign. I slow to 2 mph and roll up to the intersection so I have a clear view of traffic in either direction. As I roll slowly past the huge tree on my left, that should have been trimmed by the city, a car becomes visible and I hit my brakes. The camera goes off. What level of discipline is appropriate ...If any at all.
"Other than coaching, no formal discipline required. Driver should be coached to the appropriate Smith System key and make a commitment to be more vigilant in the future."

2. I am in the right lane at 55 mph at what I consider to be a safe following distance. I hit a pot hole and the camera goes off. Lytx sends back a video stating I was too close to the vehicle in front of me at 3.5 seconds. How is it possible to account for .5 seconds at 55 mph?
"I've looked at more than a few drivecam videos and I have yet to see anyone get popped for a following distance greater than 3 seconds. These videos are reviewed by people who like the rest of us, make mistakes from time to time. Everytime I've seen a video related to following distance, I count the seconds as if I'm driving and most of the time they're pretty close."

3. I am in stop and go traffic. I am stopped when I get a text message notification. I pick up my Hand Held and check that the pick up I am on my way to has been unassigned and I have been assigned a new pick up. Traffic begins to move and I place my hand held back in the holder BEFORE I begin to move. Suddenly, the car in front stops short and I am forced to do the same. The camera goes off and technically I am in violation. Discipline or not.
"I do not consider this a frivolous act of discipline. The policy is clear, no handhelds or cell phones in hands while operating your equipment. You should be charged with the violation accordingly because even though you're stopped on the roadway, you're still operating your equipment. If I were your boss administering discipline for this, I would tell you that it could have waited until your next stop or until you found a safe place to park before attempting to check the message."

4.My tractor is OOS. I am assigned a tractor that should not be on any public highway. I hook and follow all required procedures including going under the trailer to confirm the hook. I drive one block from the terminal and drop the trailer. I call it in and hook back up and return immediately to the terminal...slowly. The next day, the vendor comes and diagnoses that the spring kit on the 5th wheel is defective. He replaces the spring kit. I am charged with an accident. I appeal and in the kangaroo court that ensues, I explain what happened, including the fact that the vendor replaced the spring kit. I am told that doesn't matter. Fair?
"If you knowingly took a tractor that as you say "should not be on any public highway," then God help you. I don't know how to respond to that other than to ask. Why the hell would you not put that unit OOS and move onto yet another unit? As for the defective fifth wheel hitch springs. If there is a diagnosis in writing then I think it does matter and I think you were treated unfairly."

If you read the March 01, 2018 manual, in Section 3, under Employee relations on page 35, it lists the FIVE levels of discipline that we are subject to. You won't find the acronym LOI any more. THE POLICY HAS CHANGED AGAIN. The new 5 levels of discipline are:
1. Verbal Counseling
2.Written Warning
3.Final Written Warning
4. OOS/Suspension
5. Termination.

The company does not follow a specific progressive discipline policy, but rather reserves the right, in it's sole discretion, to decide which type of discipline to issue in response to each situation, including terminating employees without a prior warning.
"Ok, so this is the new policy. Put yourself in another's shoes for moment. If your wife and kids were injured or killed because a driver while operating on a public highway, took a nap, was distracted, intoxicated, or whatever and you learned that it was his first offense and he got off with verbal counseling, would you be able to find a sense of closure related to the accident he caused? As far as I'm concerned, if you cause a DOT reportable accident that was ruled preventable, you should be either suspended or fired right out of the gate. Hopefully you'll land on your feet and become a liability with one of our competitors. What kind of negative PR would be generated for the company if it turned blind eye to such a situation and this information leaked out. What about the negative PR that would fall upon the Teamsters if it was learned this guy had a record of carelessness and was saved from being fired in the past because of the collective bargaining agreement struck relative to discipline?"

I agree 100%. No situation to which you referred is a MINOR violation. In the event of a DOT reportable accident, where injuries or death may have occurred, and the driver was asleep, intoxicated or texting on his cell phone should be immediate termination. I do not consider that frivolous discipline. those situations indicated in my previous post do not rise to the seriousness of the situation you presented.

1. Verbal Counseling
2.Written Warning
3.Final Written Warning
4. OOS/Suspension
5. Termination.

2nd Reply, because I didn't see the rest of your responses in quotes. I don't want to post another long one, but I think you can see that I am NOT advocating for a "do as you please" atmosphere. I agree with you that rules are necessary and must be followed and I don't think we as far apart on this topic as you might have suspected.

My main concern is the very last sentence of my original post where the company basically states that they have created a progressive discipline list that they can choose not to follow.

Thank you for taking the time to create that list and for a civil discussion about it.

Not moving , to close to retirement and have the family farm and 420 acres . Only 2 more years and I am outta here
Then why would you make a statement like this "I would be out the door in a heartbeat for union benes". It just show you have had NO intention of leaving. Action speak louder then words

I am sure there is. Fair doesn't mean "rules written in blood". Fair sometimes means people get treated differently. A man plans to murder his wife. Buys a gun and a shovel, goes home and shoots her in the head. A second guy takes his wife hunting. He drops his gun, it goes off and kills his wife. Both women are dead at the hands of their husbands, but will be treated differently in a court of law. That's what fair means sometimes.
That's you argument??? Really. I had to show your post to other driver and friends of mine just to make sure I was understanding it. Everyone and I mean everyone said that what you wrote is apple and oranges. Other comments were said but I will not post them due to the rules of this board.
You post two different thing with one having intent and the other an accident.

Last edited:
Thats not saying ,So much for your company seniority,Which means nothing with out a collective bargaining ,Which you guys don’t have And most of you don’t want.Ill stand back and watch you guys cut each other’s throats for a few hours of overtime.
Well maybe you need to go read post #7835 from Hollywoodz it seem he does believe in seniority either
Here I gave you the link: https://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/xpo-union-thread.76678/page-392#post-1374218

Last edited:
If your company wanted more production out of you they would make it easier for you to get your job done.There all the same ,No matter where you work ,Today.
Between updating, resetting the hand held 3 times a day, waiting on hold for 15 minutes for an exception number, taking pictures of damaged freight and anything else I may have left out, my productivity could be much better.

The company pays you to do the job there way, not yours. What part of that don't you understand. Why should you care that you have to take pics of damaged freight, wait on hold for and exception number (I heard they did away with that) or anything else, as long as it is legal, the company wants you to do. They are paying you

Hearing a lot of talked about outsourced line haul runs by owner operators from multiple source I have not seen it at our barn (not sub service vans) . Anyone see this happening?
I seen a few lanes that run subs. The problem is we don't have the drivers to cover the loads. Yes out of XHG subs have been sent to XPH

Just out of curiosity , what difference does it make if the handheld is on or not? ( if he's peddling , he might miss a pick-up at a stop he's delivering to , but that's assuming he can fit it on a trailer with freight that still needs delivered )

With some of the things asked of P&D drivers as far as the handheld goes , they can slow a driver down. How much faster would a P&D driver be without all of the nonsense? ( with the benefits of computerization and software calling the shots there are some drawbacks )

Some drivers remember peddling without any of the "technological advances" and everything was just fine.

Damn. I sound old. Get off my lawn!
I should have included in this: https://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/xpo-union-thread.76678/page-397#post-1377061

I pick this one out because it has happened at my barn. The first thing I will say is that you do not know the law. The law states that you must stop at the stop sign, which you did not. Then if you are unable to see then you are to slow move forward until you can and stop again and make sure the way is clear.
I say that because we had a drive pulled in on that. He was moving forward to have a clear view and hit his brake when a car he could not see comes into view. Now he didn't get any discipline because the video shows he clearly stopped at the sign and then slow moved forward so he could see. In your case you never stopped

Last edited:
I can think of MANY examples over my many years with this company we’re a supervisor built a case on a driver because they didn’t care for them and that even included some real straight line company guys.
I have even had supervisors confide in me that they were determined to get someone terminated.
but yet you talk how great CCX was and how great the employees were treated. Then you say we had no need for a contract back in the day. Then you and Hollywoodz both like this post:
https://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/little-stuff.83768/page-17#post-1376790

The company pays you to do the job there way, not yours. What part of that don't you understand. Why should you care that you have to take pics of damaged freight, wait on hold for and exception number (I heard they did away with that) or anything else, as long as it is legal, the company wants you to do. They are paying you

Because I do care. Their policy hampers my productivity and I am very subtly made to feel like I am not working up to their standards. The following morning in the pre shift, I am told that we had 7 returns and 9 attempts yesterday. I am also told that we weren't even close to our 50% by noon. Then, I am told that our yard dwell is not up to standards and we're simply not making our numbers.To be fair, they are not disciplining anyone and they often thank us for the work we do, however, any conscientious driver can't help but feel just a bit guilty for failing to meet the numbers.

That's you argument??? Really. I had to show your post to other driver and friends of mine just to make sure I was understanding it. Everyone and I mean everyone said that what you wrote is apple and oranges. Other comments were said but I will not post them due to the rules of this board.
You post two different thing with one having intent and the other an accident.

OK, maybe a bad analogy. Let's try this. Go to Face Book and look up Judge Frank Caprio. He is famous for applying the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter of the law. He decides cases based on individual circumstances and takes every aspect of the alleged violation into account before passing judgment. He understands that he is a public servant and he makes every attempt to recognize that not every violation deserves a strict interpretation of the laws, as written.

In any event, good or bad analogy, you know exactly what I mean when I say discipline should be meted out fairly. You may not agree, but you know what I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.