XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Dime a dozen or worth fighting tooth and nail for ?

And many union carriers are hiring. UPS is looking for feeders everywhere. That's a great job, if you can keep it. So if your only goal is to get a better paying job with a union contract, it may come down to your ability to pass the strictest road test in the industry.

I wouldn't think that of the UPS drivers I see on the road. I wouldn't work at UPS. Nope! I've heard rumors of all the grading the boss(whatever their term for FOS) has to do on them everyday, etc..

Exactly. Dime a dozen or worth fighting tooth and nail for ?

And many union carriers are hiring. UPS is looking for feeders everywhere. That's a great job, if you can keep it. So if your only goal is to get a better paying job with a union contract, it may come down to your ability to pass the strictest road test in the industry.
I said before and I'll say it again. ABF and YRC have had signs out hiring for every position. Those signs have been out so long that they are sun faded and the tires are flat on the trailer they are mounted on. I have to say if working for a union carrier is so great then shouldn't be hard as hell to get into one?

I said before and I'll say it again. ABF and YRC have had signs out hiring for every position. Those signs have been out so long that they are sun faded and the tires are flat on the trailer they are mounted on. I have to say if working for a union carrier is so great then shouldn't be hard as hell to get into one?
Why take the sign up & down? If someone calls or applies the say yes or no were not hiring at this time, I'm sure these are the only two company's that do this...lol....Another disgruntled ex union employee who dident have things go his way, suck it up life goes on & nothing is perfect....

I've been driving for almost 20 years. Not the longest but I'm definitely not a rookie. I'm going to make 100k or close this year. Now if these jobs are a dime a dozen it's news to me. The reason I have the opportunity to make that much is because of XPO/con-way's system, herein lies the problem. If we import the unions grievance culture the opportunity I have will be diminished. Here's how,. I'm a line haul driver but I've hostled worked dock and peddled freight this year when it was slow. If I can't do those things when it's slow because some guy with a dock bid is filing a grievance that I'm taking work away from him I'll be setting at home regardless if there is more than enough work on the dock or city.

Outside of that,. I actually care about the financial health of the company I work for. The only 2 pure examples of union ltl shops is abf and yrc. Yrc is barely profitable and that has just been recent, and abf's OR is like 97%,. That's a razor's edge. I know the union honks are gonna point to ups but that is not even in the same ballpark. You might even try to say FedEx freight is not that profitable either, I think they operate in that same range 95-97%, but that's the same situation as UPS. They were alot more profitable as AF and Viking.

Anyway that's about all. have fun with that trolls

I've been driving for almost 20 years. Not the longest but I'm definitely not a rookie. I'm going to make 100k or close this year. Now if these jobs are a dime a dozen it's news to me. The reason I have the opportunity to make that much is because of XPO/con-way's system, herein lies the problem. If we import the unions grievance culture the opportunity I have will be diminished. Here's how,. I'm a line haul driver but I've hostled worked dock and peddled freight this year when it was slow. If I can't do those things when it's slow because some guy with a dock bid is filing a grievance that I'm taking work away from him I'll be setting at home regardless if there is more than enough work on the dock or city.

Outside of that,. I actually care about the financial health of the company I work for. The only 2 pure examples of union ltl shops is abf and yrc. Yrc is barely profitable and that has just been recent, and abf's OR is like 97%,. That's a razor's edge. I know the union honks are gonna point to ups but that is not even in the same ballpark. You might even try to say FedEx freight is not that profitable either, I think they operate in that same range 95-97%, but that's the same situation as UPS. They were alot more profitable as AF and Viking.

I don't and can't speak for other LTLs , but personally I'm suspicious of most numbers that our company generates. As new ownership turns the screws on Service Center Managers , FOMs , FOSs , etc. they find ways to manipulate their numbers and "beat" the system.

As far as if you were in a union shop and not being able to jump around to different jobs : it goes both ways - instead of bouncing around fron job to job there would be MORE work in your job classification because only you or someone in the same classification could do that job. Theoretically. With good union leadership and a contracts. And supervision by the union over the company.

I don't and can't speak for other LTLs , but personally I'm suspicious of most numbers that our company generates. As new ownership turns the screws on Service Center Managers , FOMs , FOSs , etc. they find ways to manipulate their numbers and "beat" the system.

As far as if you were in a union shop and not being able to jump around to different jobs : it goes both ways - instead of bouncing around fron job to job there would be MORE work in your job classification because only you or someone in the same classification could do that job. Theoretically. With good union leadership and a contracts. And supervision by the union over the company.
I know that corporations can manipulate a few things but you can't claim a $115 million profit in one quarter and not be able to prove it. People have tried that, it was called Enron, they went to jail.

I have read alot of your previous post and you seem like a fairly intelligent person. My point was to show that other union ltl shops are not as profitable than their nonunion counterparts. Please don't counter that argument with "they're cooking the books" conspiracy theories. Maybe they are, (I doubt it, that's a whole lot of risk for not much reward) but until it's proven don't put it out there as a reasonable response.

I know it's popular right now to hate greedy corporations and I don't know how long you've worked here, but if you were here in the late 90's early 00's, Con-way's made money hand over fist. And guess what? Our benefits and pay was just as good as the Teamsters, with the exception of the pension. So I personally would like the company to start making money like that again. Maybe we will get some of those things back. If not then I will consider other options like the union. Since we started making money again after the recession. We got our pay back maybe we will start to see our benefits come back too. Pension is not coming back, it's not viable for the company or the employee. But I would like to see a better contribution to the 401k

I know that corporations can manipulate a few things but you can't claim a $115 million profit in one quarter and not be able to prove it. People have tried that, it was called Enron, they went to jail.

I have read alot of your previous post and you seem like a fairly intelligent person. My point was to show that other union ltl shops are not as profitable than their nonunion counterparts. Please don't counter that argument with "they're cooking the books" conspiracy theories. Maybe they are, (I doubt it, that's a whole lot of risk for not much reward) but until it's proven don't put it out there as a reasonable response.

I know it's popular right now to hate greedy corporations and I don't know how long you've worked here, but if you were here in the late 90's early 00's, Con-way's made money hand over fist. And guess what? Our benefits and pay was just as good as the Teamsters, with the exception of the pension. So I personally would like the company to start making money like that again. Maybe we will get some of those things back. If not then I will consider other options like the union. Since we started making money again after the recession. We got our pay back maybe we will start to see our benefits come back too. Pension is not coming back, it's not viable for the company or the employee. But I would like to see a better contribution to the 401k
Dident your pay come back after Laredo filed for representation?

Has that MOU ran out yet? Just saying

Btw we started getting raises b4 the Laredo vote. What happened after that was, All the different pay scales for regions where streamlined. And made more equal

Maltman , I can't say I disagree with you entirely. When I point to manipulation of the numbers , I mean simple things that happen a little bit at a time on the lowest levels that FOSs , FOMs , TMs and Director of Operations ( regional managers ) do that boost their numbers so they'll get the bonuses and recognition that they want.

Just a personal observation: I think our current lower level management is scared. They know something is going to change but they don't know what it will be. Scared people do dumb things.

Has that MOU ran out yet? Just saying

Btw we started getting raises b4 the Laredo vote. What happened after that was, All the different pay scales for regions where streamlined. And made more equal
Nice attempt at cheap shot but don't have a mou where I work. Next you say you have been driving for almost 20 years but your profile page says your 38?

Last edited:
Maltman , I can't say I disagree with you entirely. When I point to manipulation of the numbers , I mean simple things that happen a little bit at a time on the lowest levels that FOSs , FOMs , TMs and Director of Operations ( regional managers ) do that boost their numbers so they'll get the bonuses and recognition that they want.

Just a personal observation: I think our current lower level management is scared. They know something is going to change but they don't know what it will be. Scared people do dumb things.
I can tell from experience the tm''s and DO's are running scared. Most fos's just don't understand and God forbid if the handheld and computers go down

You make a very good point. At my barn they make a effort to make sure everyone gets hrs. When I was the bottom of the board and the guys there now are working every day, even when we are slow. I spent a lot of the winter months on the dock, but heck 6 hrs is better than 0hrs a day. When I work in a union shop the company called in only what they needed and at midnight the start back at the top of the flex board. I spent many weeks working only 2 to 3 days. I'm not sure how its working to day but I believe its still the same

I don't have a mou.

Nice attempt at cheap shot but don't have a mou where I work. Next you say you have been driving for almost 20 years but your profile page says your 38?
I guess it's easy to be so pro union when you have old buster money to back you up and buy you out of the cspf

We all know what they took. It's okay. No list needed. And I agree with you. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If there was an easy obvious choice one way or the other there wouldn't be a discussion or any apprehension. People would instantly flock to the clearly better option.
Yes go40 you are correct it was after that

I'm willing to try this with a few ground rules... it goes sideways and I kill it.

Rules:
- this is a discussion thread pertaining ONLY to XPO terminals and union activity. Recruiting, or discussions about other teamster issues is not allowed.
-this thread is for XPO employees to discuss issues. If your not an employee ( I'll know), your coming in as a guest. Act like it. We can have a mature conversation, without name calling, belittling, or other childish behaviour. I also will not allow this thread to be taken over by non employees... period. Any such childish behaviour, and your gone. This is the only warning.
-this thread will be civil. I repeat, civil. Any :horseshit: will not be tolerated.
- no names are to be used. Any threats of "outing" a member will result in an immediate and permanent ban from trucking boards, no exceptions.

The rules are simple. Violations will be dealt with immediately and harshly.

Simple enough?
Maltman I see your a new member please read this

Status
Not open for further replies.