XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those things have been happening at our terminals across the country for more than 5 years now.

First hand experience with the Teamsters at XPO.
Which terminal? Never heard of the Union taking that approach. And if your terminal is not organized, how can he follow the employees around, or call, text, etc.? Union reps simply DO NOT enter unorganized facilities...they’re not allowed to. The only place they’re authorized to be is just outside the gate...not on the property itself.

Myself, along with I’m sure a host of others, would love to see some documented evidence of this. Perhaps an un-photoshopped picture of a Union rep actually ON the property of an unorganized barn conducting organization activities?

Which terminal? Never heard of the Union taking that approach. And if your terminal is not organized, how can he follow the employees around, or call, text, etc.? Union reps simply DO NOT enter unorganized facilities...they’re not allowed to. The only place they’re authorized to be is just outside the gate...not on the property itself.

Myself, along with I’m sure a host of others, would love to see some documented evidence of this. Perhaps an un-photoshopped picture of a Union rep actually ON the property of an unorganized barn conducting organization activities?

I8oA5cr.jpg

Never heard of the Union taking that approach. And if your terminal is not organized, how can he follow the employees around, or call, text, etc.?

Okay, I see the misunderstanding. When you say, "union rep", you're talking about a specific person or job title. When I say "union rep", I'm talking about those that represent the union, from the operatives at a non-union barn, to the guys from other companies standing on the corner outside my gate, the Potemkin "strikes", the nuts marching through the office in Aurora with a bullhorn, the people running the Teamster blogs and social media pages. I'm sure you've heard of some of that.

Myself, along with I’m sure a host of others, would love to see some documented evidence of this.

I'm sure you would. If you want an original photo you'll have to find someone else to gift wrap a ULP for you.

Okay, I see the misunderstanding. When you say, "union rep", you're talking about a specific person or job title. When I say "union rep", I'm talking about those that represent the union, from the operatives at a non-union barn, to the guys from other companies standing on the corner outside my gate, the Potemkin "strikes", the nuts marching through the office in Aurora with a bullhorn, the people running the Teamster blogs and social media pages. I'm sure you've heard of some of that.

I'm sure you would. If you want an original photo you'll have to find someone else to gift wrap a ULP for you.
How much does XPO pay you to discourage organization? I mean, that’s what you are, right? An operative (your words) to try at ANY cost to squash the union drive? I worked for Conway for three years...my FIRST DAY on the job consisted of watching some ‘training’ videos. One video was pure anti-union CRAP!! Tell me...how in the (sexual intercourse) is that a TRAINING video?

You go right ahead and keep on LYING to everyone on this board about who you are, but I think we all know what’s what here. Go right ahead on collecting your ‘blood money’ too. Ignore list.

How much does XPO pay you to discourage organization?

Nothing.

I mean, that’s what you are, right? An operative (your words) to try at ANY cost to squash the union drive?

Nope, just an employee with an opinion. If one guy is all it takes to squash a union drive, it's a :::shit::: union drive anyway.

I worked for Conway for three years...my FIRST DAY on the job consisted of watching some ‘training’ videos. One video was pure anti-union CRAP!!

I've been here since we watched videos on VHS, and I probably saw the same video you did. Is your beef that it was false information or just that it was anti union? I don't remember them showing any videos about why Yellow was such a great place to work either. They can show you whatever they want- you chose to be there, and does anyone not know their position on labor unions?

You obviously support the union and stayed there for three years in spite of that horrible video, so what's the problem?

You go right ahead and keep on LYING to everyone on this board about who you are, but I think we all know what’s what here.

<sigh> Here we go with this again. If you think I'm anything but a DSR with XPO LTL, you're wrong.

Okay, wait. You know what, I'll come clean.

My first name isn't "Serene".

Go right ahead on collecting your ‘blood money’ too.

Give me a break. I'm doing this for free, and this is the internet, not Ludlow. No one has died. In fact, I've been told there is absolutely no risk to organizing, so it's anyone's guess whose blood you're referring to.

Ignore list.

Bet you won't. Interesting how the reaction is always to silence the opposition, isn't it? "Educate yourself!" "NO NOT LIKE THAT"

What push? XPO paid for labor they didn't receive, plus interest. They paid because they broke the law. AND...the fact that they paid should prove to everyone on these boards that there is no risk and nothing to fear by signing a card and unionizing.
No risk by unionizing? Are you so desperate for unionization that you would make such an outrageous statement? Signing a card and going union is easy, it's like getting married. De-certifying and ending union representation is like getting a divorce, that's hard. And that's the risk of joining the union in the first place. But don't take my word for it because I have first hand knowledge that the boys in LLA aren't exactly pleased with their union marriage and have discovered that getting out of it is going to be a lot harder than getting in.

How much does XPO pay you to discourage organization? I mean, that’s what you are, right? An operative (your words) to try at ANY cost to squash the union drive? I worked for Conway for three years...my FIRST DAY on the job consisted of watching some ‘training’ videos. One video was pure anti-union CRAP!! Tell me...how in the (sexual intercourse) is that a TRAINING video?

You go right ahead and keep on LYING to everyone on this board about who you are, but I think we all know what’s what here. Go right ahead on collecting your ‘blood money’ too. Ignore list.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

No risk by unionizing? Are you so desperate for unionization that you would make such an outrageous statement? Signing a card and going union is easy, it's like getting married. De-certifying and ending union representation is like getting a divorce, that's hard. And that's the risk of joining the union in the first place. But don't take my word for it because I have first hand knowledge that the boys in LLA aren't exactly pleased with their union marriage and have discovered that getting out of it is going to be a lot harder than getting in.

Completely false statement when you say decertifying is difficult. It's only difficult if the majority do NOT want to decertify. It takes only 30% to validate a petition to decertify and call for a vote. Then, 50% plus one gets the decertification. The only caveat is that you may not decertify while under contract. Thirty days before the contract expires, you can file your petition and as long as you have a simple majority, you're done.

I'm not desperate for anything. You mistake me for the company that's desperate to avoid the union:

Did you ever ask why they are willing to spend millions to avoid giving the money to you?

Your first hand knowledge of LLA is also incorrect. Some have been discouraged, it's true. But, as one might expect from a desperate organization, the company went on a hiring binge and made sure to scare the ::shit:: out of their new hires to be sure they would be opposed to unionization. Then, offered assistance in generating the decert. Once again, no respect for the law and processes in place brings them back to court. Whether or not they were able to hire enough scabs remains to be seen.

So, I'll ask once again, specifically...why are you personally so opposed to union representation?

AND..PLEASE EXPLAIN THE RISKS!!!

In the meantime, I'll explain the benefits.
1. Grievance and Arbitration Process - automatically mitigates "at will" employment. ALL discipline, including termination is eligible to be reviewed by a 3rd party arbitrator to determine if the discipline is just.

2. Team Care - a genuine zero premium plan that not only saves most drivers thousands of dollars in premiums, but also provides much better coverage than the Cigna plan we have now.

3. The company still gets to run their business and set policy, however, they cannot arbitrarily change policy anymore. The only avenue for them to do so, is to negotiate it when the contract expires.

4. No more wondering if the company will grant raises from year to year. You raises will be defined and spelled out in your contract. You'll know what you are getting and when.

5. The limitation of independent contractors and purchased cartage which will most certainly protect your job. No outside carriers can enter your yard unless and until every bargaining unit member is working or has been offered work.

And, there's more!​

Completely false statement when you say decertifying is difficult.

Really?? Let's look at that statement. You're doing a far better job of illustrating the level of BS one has to put up with than I was.

It takes only 30% to validate a petition to decertify and call for a vote...

What percentage of the bargaining unit signed the decert petition at LLA? If you don't want to post the actual number, I understand. How about more or less than 30?

The only caveat is that you may not decertify while under contract.
Well no one in XPO LTL has to worry about that, do they?

But, as one might expect from a desperate organization, the company went on a hiring binge and made sure to scare the ::::shit:::: out of their new hires to be sure they would be opposed to unionization.

Well sure, everyone knows that if you don't want to play the union games that you're a giant chicken. Why didn't the majority just tell those new hires the truth, then? Or maybe the actual majority did...

Then, offered assistance in generating the decert.
Predictable response and easy to say- but Teamsters are pretty reliable when it comes to doubting their opponents. I'd love to see what kind of "assistance" they establish was given.

Or maybe these charges are just a stalling tactic because the IBT knows that if LLA gets a vote, the Teamsters are going to lose. What terrible PR that would be, huh? I think I know who had the :crap: scared out of them.

Anyway, this is a great example of how the Teamsters only care about your rights and the law when you're on their side. It's all an act. Scotch was right.

Last edited:
1. Grievance and Arbitration Process - automatically mitigates "at will" employment.

Unnecessary- but again, if this is important to you, you should take a hard look in the mirror and ask yourself why. Good employees don't worry about at-will employment.

2. Team Care - a genuine zero premium plan that not only saves most drivers thousands of dollars in premiums, but also provides much better coverage than the Cigna plan we have now.

A Central States Health Plan based in Chicago, says the website. That's what's known as a "hint". Anyway, I thought the company declined this proposal- so why are you advertising it as a benefit?

3. The company still gets to run their business and set policy, however, they cannot arbitrarily change policy anymore.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm fine with my employer setting my working conditions. They're paying me, remember? What kind of marginal employee is worried about policy changes? I just do what they ask and go home.

4. No more wondering if the company will grant raises from year to year.

You know, the only reason you got those raises in those "fat checks" you talk about is because you cried to a judge that they were regularly scheduled raises that were not covered by status quo. It is impressively dishonest to then turn around and present "unreliable raises" as a valid reason to organize.

5. The limitation of independent contractors and purchased cartage which will most certainly protect your job.

Which is the same fear mongering I've heard since I've been here, which is at least CTS long. Purchase transportation is a terrible replacement for linehaul, and cartage is more expensive than in-house P&D.

Last edited:
Unnecessary- but again, if this is important to you, you should take a hard look in the mirror and ask yourself why. Good employees don't worry about at-will employment.

A Central States Health Plan based in Chicago, says the website. That's what's known as a "hint". Anyway, I thought the company declined this proposal- so why are you advertising it as a benefit?

Call me old fashioned, but I'm fine with my employer setting my working conditions. They're paying me, remember? What kind of marginal employee is worried about policy changes? I just do what they ask and go home.

You know, the only reason you got those raises in those "fat checks" you talk about is because you cried to a judge that they were regularly scheduled raises that were not covered by status quo. It is impressively dishonest to then turn around and present "unreliable raises" as a valid reason to organize.

Which is the same fear mongering I've heard since I've been here, which is at least CTS long. Purchase transportation is a terrible replacement for linehaul, and cartage is more expensive than in-house P&D.
I’m sorry Gene but do you work or are you personally involved at one of the union locations negotiations? If not what you post is your opinion and not fact . Your opinion is welcome but it is just opinion. Unless ,you want to tell us how you are provided the information you state as fact ? No manager at Any location is provided any strategic planing let alone share it with a driver at a none union locations. Now you may be well versed in labor unions and a avoidance of unions in the work place but as a driver you do not know what is exactly going on at the union locations or negotiations at Xpo . So, for you to state your opinion ( and that’s all it is) versus someone such as Hollywoodzs who works at and is involved with the day to day happenings at a union locations can only be taken as that but please continue with your views :guiness::guinesssmilie:

Last edited:
Serene green you claim good employees are fine with at will employment. I watched an OD driver be involved in an accident 2 weeks ago. It was his fault probably $5k in damages he'd been with OD 14 years you know what happened he was terminated. 14 years first accident and now he's unemployed do you know what would've happened to me, I'd have gotten a warning letter. Can you say that? At will means Bob gets fired 2 weeks later Fred commits the same infraction and gets a warning letter whats the difference Fred kisses his bosses ass

I’m sorry Gene but do you work or are you personally involved at one of the union locations negotiations?

I don't think you're allowed to ask me that question. Forum rules and all.

If not what you post is your opinion and not fact.

My location does not affect the validity of my statements. But, as always, I welcome your corrections. What have I posted that is incorrect? You guys act like your strategy is some kind of secret.

I think I'm on the right track, since you're attacking the messenger and not the message with the Big Lebowski Defense.

Now you may be well versed in labor unions..

That's very kind of you to finally admit. Not long ago the loudest opponents were the least knowledgeable, according to you.

...but as a driver you do not know what is exactly going on at the union locations or negotiations at Xpo .

Still underestimating truck drivers...

I watched an OD driver be involved in an accident 2 weeks ago. It was his fault probably $5k in damages he'd been with OD 14 years you know what happened he was terminated. 14 years first accident and now he's unemployed...

I'm not familiar with that employee's history or ODs safety policy, so it's hard to say. Obviously they felt he wasn't worth keeping. Would he still be there had he not had an at-fault accident? There are just too many unknowns to put the blame on "at-will employment".

do you know what would've happened to me, I'd have gotten a warning letter. Can you say that?

Of course I can. I could go roll a set tomorrow and still have a job with our cupcake safety policy.

At will means Bob gets fired 2 weeks later Fred commits the same infraction and gets a warning letter whats the difference Fred kisses his bosses ass

I guess that's the price you pay for being too cool to be a team player. If you're going to treat management like they're goo on your shoe, maybe don't hit anything. I thought everyone learned that early on in their working life. I guess not.

Serene green you claim good employees are fine with at will employment. I watched an OD driver be involved in an accident 2 weeks ago. It was his fault probably $5k in damages he'd been with OD 14 years you know what happened he was terminated. 14 years first accident and now he's unemployed do you know what would've happened to me, I'd have gotten a warning letter. Can you say that? At will means Bob gets fired 2 weeks later Fred commits the same infraction and gets a warning letter whats the difference Fred kisses his bosses ass
Years ago , maybe 2001 a non union driver pulled an overweight load and got into an accident on his way back to the terminal . I was on the same dock and heard him call dispatch to tell them .I was told 2 weeks later he got fired even though he called and told dispatch it was over . They told him to pull it anyways . If it were union he could have told dispatch to tell the customer to pull enough off to make it legal . Union driver pulling same load but legal weight may have gotten into an accident as well and depending on who was at fault may have gotten a letter or may not of . But , the load would have been a legal one and driver wouldn’t be fired for pulling an overweight load .

They told him to pull it anyways . If it were union he could have told dispatch to tell the customer to pull enough off to make it legal .

Union status is irrelevant to your story. If it's overweight, you don't pull it- union or not. If you choose to pull it, you'd better be sure you don't hit anything. He made the choice to drive with an illegal load.

That's very kind of you to finally admit. Not long ago the loudest opponents were the least knowledgeable, according to you.
Oh , you are well versed in union aversion tactics . I don’t think anyone’s ever doubted that. Maybe a little too well for a driver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.