XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen people mention this reapply scenario before. I've personally never experienced this after having worked at companies that were sold off or merged or whatever. I haven't ran into anyone that's had to do this.

Does this happen a lot and I just haven't encountered the reapply issue?

The guys at PJAX said they had to reapply to Vitran. And then reapply when Vitran got bought by Central Transport. Most recent examples I am directly familiar with.

Anything is possible. If we are sold to a company whose pay scale is lower than ours currently, (if that's possible) we could be aligned with that. PTO as well. The reapply part is possible, but not likely IMO. Many employees might just walk away, hurting their ability to keep business as usual.
I'm just stressing that it is possible.

If I am starting over.... I am filling out the application for the best job available. This one is not in the top 5.

Well , not everyone

Even the " union " barns will need to re apply. As your former employer will no longer exist. If you want a job with this employer, you will need to go through the hiring process. And they will pick and choose who they want. Because they will hire your former boss to advise them on who not to hire. Good luck.

He’s talking about a company that was closing and a competitor buying the customer list not buying the company. The company closed. The drivers where then or about to be unemployed. Different than someone buying the complete business. Hopefully that makes it clear for you.

You are delusional. This has happened to plenty of drivers. You need to be more realistic. The cost of business has gone up significantly. You guys will be the first casualties in a change of hands. Not trying to reason with you. I know better. I also know people older and wiser than me. And when I talk to them, I am not actually saying anything. I am listening.

The weirdest part is that Jacobs has always been know as a lover of asset light businesses. That's why many were certain after the purchase of Conway Inc that LTL and truckload would soon be on the selling block. Now, he's attempting to sell or spinoff all the asset light portions and keep the asset heavy business. That's a totally different direction than his past.

Because the market changed. When he bought this. It was all about Menlo. Well they have been building new warehouses and filling them for 5 years now. The operating ratio is better for 3PL. But the total revenue is lower than that of LTL. The LTL is 35% of XPO revenue. The other 4 units make up the remaining 65%. And in an election year in the states and it's the Brexit year in Europe. A lot of factors have gone into this decision.

You are delusional. This has happened to plenty of drivers. You need to be more realistic. The cost of business has gone up significantly. You guys will be the first casualties in a change of hands. Not trying to reason with you. I know better. I also know people older and wiser than me. And when I talk to them, I am not actually saying anything. I am listening.
The poster gave an example of someone buying a companies business ( customer list ) not buying a entire company or a takeover . When Xpo bought Con-way it took over the entire thing employees and all including the terminals that organized. I can’t make it any clearer to you guys . We will not be the first casualties in that type of takeover.

Is it just me ?:regretful:

Last edited:
Even the " union " barns will need to re apply. As your former employer will no longer exist. If you want a job with this employer, you will need to go through the hiring process. And they will pick and choose who they want. Because they will hire your former boss to advise them on who not to hire. Good luck.
Understand you fear this but explain to me why this didn’t happen when Xpo bought us ? It’s to risky to lose drivers and customers in this type of business. To much risk in this environment . Seamless takeover is the only way to do it . This is not a company that faces bankruptcy and their not enough union locations for a buyer to shut it down to rid themselves of that.
The most likely scenario it seems at this point is for Jacobs to hold onto us for now and hopefully reinvest some of gains from the sales to restore us to are former level of service . Anything is possible.

The guys at PJAX said they had to reapply to Vitran. And then reapply when Vitran got bought by Central Transport. Most recent examples I am directly familiar with.
That did not happen in our area as far I’m aware of . I’m sure it does happen in some cases but a company cannot risk losing people in this job environment. Drivers are the biggest asset their getting .

Last edited:
Much speculation and not much else on what Jacob's next moves will be so I'll toss in my two cents. Brad bragged in his letter about organic growth, as if he was purporting it as better than growth via acquisition. So best case scenario for LTL is that he dumps the other four entities, either by sell-off or spin-off and then invests those profits hard into LTL in order to promote more organic growth which then leads to real gains in the XPO per share price. Occam's razor, much? I hope so.

Much speculation and not much else on what Jacob's next moves will be so I'll toss in my two cents. Brad bragged in his letter about organic growth, as if he was purporting it as better than growth via acquisition. So best case scenario for LTL is that he dumps the other four entities, either by sell-off or spin-off and then invests those profits hard into LTL in order to promote more organic growth which then leads to real gains in the XPO per share price. Occam's razor, much? I hope so.

And now, I agree with you. To follow up, my two cents thinks when the share price hits his target, he'll sell...maybe?

If he is going to grow XPO they need to figure out the customer comes first ! The damages are wayyyy out of control . The customer service sucks ! One of our biggest customers U-Line use to be no matter what it gets delivered the next day whether it’s a house stop or business deliver it ! Now I see skids sit on the docks for days . I drive right by the road or business that it is going to while the skids sit on the dock . When I do deliver it the customers asks .... we use to always get U-line in 1 or 2 days , why is it taking so long now ? Me , this is the first time it was on my trailer. Sorry sir .

The poster gave an example of someone buying a companies business ( customer list ) not buying a entire company or a takeover . When Xpo bought Con-way it took over the entire thing employees and all including the terminals that organized. I can’t make it any clearer to you guys . We will not be the first casualties in that type of takeover.

Is it just me ?:regretful:

This is a very complicated issue. We have a successorship clause in our "contract" that forces any new buyer to accept the union and the terms of the contract. So we will NOT be the first casualties in the event XPO is sold to a new buyer. That type of clause has been contested in the courts in several cases since the original supreme court ruling in 1987. If the new owner significantly changes the nature of the business, he is NOT bound by successorship. There is a concept known as "perfectly clear" which I don't fully understand, however, it allows certain companies to avoid successorship in varying degrees. Basically, the purchasing company is usually bound by successorship, but there are exceptions.

bull ::shit::

Understand you fear this but explain to me why this didn’t happen when Xpo bought us ? It’s to risky to lose drivers and customers in this type of business. To much risk in this environment . Seamless takeover is the only way to do it . This is not a company that faces bankruptcy and their not enough union locations for a buyer to shut it down to rid themselves of that.
The most likely scenario it seems at this point is for Jacobs to hold onto us for now and hopefully reinvest some of gains from the sales to restore us to are former level of service . Anything is possible.

$5 billion dollars in debt. It all hinges on how Jacobs wants to spin it. We could be shuttered just as easily as any of the other 100s carriers that went under last year.

The most likely scenario is that Jacobs is going to get paid. And paid very well.

It didn't happen when XPO bought us because we got lucky. We were bought by a company that didn't already have its own fleet and drivers. Anyone who knows better understands how incredibly fortunate we were for the sale of Con-way to go the way it did.

That did not happen in our area as far I’m aware of . I’m sure it does happen in some cases but a company cannot risk losing people in this job environment. Drivers are the biggest asset their getting .

Not every company sees it that way. But I did notice Jacobs doesn't talk about driverless trucks any more. As more states outlaw them outright. Maybe that tide has changed ? Hard to say. If he has us home delivering Pelotons by the end of the year, well.... us old fraks ain't gonna be working here much longer anyway.

Imagine how amazing a company this would be right now if his initial vision was to make this the best LTL in the country ??? FFS

This is a very complicated issue. We have a successorship clause in our "contract" that forces any new buyer to accept the union and the terms of the contract. So we will NOT be the first casualties in the event XPO is sold to a new buyer. That type of clause has been contested in the courts in several cases since the original supreme court ruling in 1987. If the new owner significantly changes the nature of the business, he is NOT bound by successorship. There is a concept known as "perfectly clear" which I don't fully understand, however, it allows certain companies to avoid successorship in varying degrees. Basically, the purchasing company is usually bound by successorship, but there are exceptions.

Thank you for knowing what you are talking about. And accepting reality as a fact and not an opinion.

Some guys get so wound up into things, they only see and hear things they want to see and hear, and only see and hear them the way they want to see and hear them.

Thank you for knowing what you are talking about. And accepting reality as a fact and not an opinion.

Some guys get so wound up into things, they only see and hear things they want to see and hear, and only see and hear them the way they want to see and hear them.

There is fact, and then, there is opinion. I always try to distinguish and if I get it wrong, I always say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.