XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree with that. However, I do remember Brad Jacobs or some management folk saying they don't pay overtime after 8 in the south is because it's not financially feasible. Does ABF, YRC, ESTES, UPS, Fedex, and whoever else pay overtime after 8 in the south?

If so, why not just bargain for that? Go clear to Jacobs(not you personally, but those in the South) and convince them to do it? You don't have to be union to all refuse to work unless they give it.

Honestly, I think they(big wigs) want our company to do well. If these guys worked at Intel or Microsoft you'd use the chain of command. Do it here. If some XPO distribution center employee has an issue they should use the chain of command. If they do you wrong tell everyone.

We all talk about damages. We are the ones that damage the :::shit:::. Stop damaging the damn freight. If a supervisor is telling you to crame :::shit::: in a trailer refuse to do it and tell them you don't want to damage the damn freight. If they have a problem go up the chain of command. If they do you wrong, spread it.
Abf ,yrc & ups all pay ot fed ex in my are(northeast) pays ot not sure down south Estes pays after 55 or 60 hours

I don't disagree with that NNC's driver's opinion for the most part. Better insurance? We'd all love that, heck yea. OT after 8? Still blows my mind that everyone in the company gets this except the Southern region. That is not just.

However when he talks about the retirement, NO. I've seen friends and family all lose out to globalization. Grew up in the rust belt. I feel 100% that every single individual must prepare themselves for retirement. I know of a particular 30 year driver who is so biter for losing his pension. I or many around me have never even seen a pension. They are rare now. That is the most selfish thing and I cant understand how he feels so self-righteous. I am close to another 31 year driver, and he feels the exact opposite as the other. He has received 31 years of linehaul paychecks and has prepared for retirement accordingly. He thinks the company doesn't owe him a thing, in fact he feels the utmost gratitude for our company.

I'm not saying either guy is right or wrong, probably a mixture of both opinions is the best perception. Idk, I've never had a pension that was cut, so I can't speak to the bitterness felt there. But then again I've never had the luxury of ever contributing to a pension. It's been 401k and IRA my entire career.

I don't disagree with that. However, I do remember Brad Jacobs or some management folk saying they don't pay overtime after 8 in the south is because it's not financially feasible. Does ABF, YRC, ESTES, UPS, Fedex, and whoever else pay overtime after 8 in the south?

If so, why not just bargain for that? Go clear to Jacobs(not you personally, but those in the South) and convince them to do it? You don't have to be union to all refuse to work unless they give it.

Honestly, I think they(big wigs) want our company to do well. If these guys worked at Intel or Microsoft you'd use the chain of command. Do it here. If some XPO distribution center employee has an issue they should use the chain of command. If they do you wrong tell everyone.

We all talk about damages. We are the ones that damage the :::shit:::. Stop damaging the damn freight. If a supervisor is telling you to crame :::shit::: in a trailer refuse to do it and tell them you don't want to damage the damn freight. If they have a problem go up the chain of command. If they do you wrong, spread it.

I don't mean to be all religious but it reminds me of a song.

I woke up this morning
Saw a world full of trouble now
Thought, how’d we ever get so far down
How’s it ever gonna turn around
So I turned my eyes to Heaven
I thought, “God, why don’t You do something?”
Well, I just couldn’t bear the thought of
People living in poverty
Children sold into slavery
The thought disgusted me
So, I shook my fist at Heaven
Said, “God, why don’t You do something?”
He said, “I did, I created you”
Have some more koolaid!

I give the guy credit for voicing his opinion. He makes good points about OT, and benefits. some of the posts following the video, to me, show that some people have the fear of company retaliation already built in to them, which some companies like. Equal treatment, to all employees, should be the standard, regardless of what part of the country you work in.

I give the guy credit for voicing his opinion. He makes good points about OT, and benefits. some of the posts following the video, to me, show that some people have the fear of company retaliation already built in to them, which some companies like. Equal treatment, to all employees, should be the standard, regardless of what part of the country you work in.

Well is it fear of company retaliation or just a realization that you are personally responsible for your actions ?

Equal treatment ? Can we all be treated like Californians ? Talk about different ! There are differences from region to region. If you don't find that fair where you are, then you are free to move to somewhere that is more to your liking.

And XPO is a global company. Should we all be compensated like a Vietnamese freight worker ? To extreme and example ? What about upnorth ? He has told us about many of the differences just between the US and Canada. Do you expect Canada to change its labor policies and DOT restrictions and socialized health care to appease your wanting to feel equal ?

Equal treatment and uniform compensation are two very different ideas.

Like upnorth said, he shouldn't have worn the uniform. It makes him look like a representative of the company, which is the direct intention of a uniform. Pull a union t-shirt on over that thing and then talk to the camera. Just a guy with an opinion then. Stand there in company dress and things come across differently.

And his opinion is the same as many this guys age. He has worked his whole life towards this end result. It's just now that he is getting closer to the end that he is suddenly moved to change his ways. Wanting better than what his effort has netted him. No different than " that " guy or girl you knew and now he/she is there at church every Sunday. People don't tend to think about the results of their actions until the result comes closer than the action.

And people will say, but things are not what was promised. We got sold lies. Things changed. But what you are really saying is that the company gave better effort to get the result they wanted than you did.

So what we are really talking about here is this.... is it to late to take enough action or give enough effort for a more appealing result ? And even if you gave maximum effort to change things in a way that would favor your intentions, could it move the needle far enough quickly enough to be worth the effort at this point or some near future point ?

Well is it fear of company retaliation or just a realization that you are personally responsible for your actions ?

Equal treatment ? Can we all be treated like Californians ? Talk about different ! There are differences from region to region. If you don't find that fair where you are, then you are free to move to somewhere that is more to your liking.

And XPO is a global company. Should we all be compensated like a Vietnamese freight worker ? To extreme and example ? What about upnorth ? He has told us about many of the differences just between the US and Canada. Do you expect Canada to change its labor policies and DOT restrictions and socialized health care to appease your wanting to feel equal ?

Like upnorth said, he shouldn't have worn the uniform. It makes him look like a representative of the company, which is the direct intention of a uniform. Pull a union t-shirt on over that thing and then talk to the camera. Just a guy with an opinion then. Stand there in company dress and things come across differently.

And his opinion is the same as many this guys age. He has worked his whole life towards this end result. It's just now that he is getting closer to the end that he is suddenly moved to change his ways. Wanting better than what his effort has netted him. No different than " that " guy or girl you knew and now he/she is there at church every Sunday. People don't tend to think about the results of their actions until the result comes closer than the action.

And people will say, but things are not what was promised. We got sold lies. Things changed. But what you are really saying is that the company gave better effort to get the result they wanted than you did.

So what we are really talking about here is this.... is it to late to take enough action or give enough effort for a more appealing result ? And even if you gave maximum effort to change things in a way that would favor your intentions, could it move the needle far enough quickly enough to be worth the effort at this point or some near future point ?

United WE stand
Divided WE beg
It may be to late for some but the youngsters have the power to make LTL a great job again.

High. Was just commenting about XPO employees. Not Californians, Vietnamese, or weather XPO is a global company. Just treat people fairly, and equally, if all are performing the same job. What region of the country should have no bearing on equality.

High. Was just commenting about XPO employees. Not Californians, Vietnamese, or weather XPO is a global company. Just treat people fairly, and equally, if all are performing the same job. What region of the country should have no bearing on equality.
If you drive 50 miles from my barn, you get paid $2.00/ hr more. It's based on "market value".

medication....WOW

I feel for this guy. This guy resembles a lot of the older guys at my terminal. I really hope they just give him a spanking rather than terminate him.
A good labor knowledgeable attorney should be put on retainer!!

XPO isn't stupid enough to touch this guy, at-will employee or not. He'd better keep up with his absences though...

It's really a good example of why unions just aren't that important- we've all got laws that protect us and lawyers ready to make money off of them.

Please explain exactly what market value is? And why that determines how much someone is paid... thx

I'll just go ahead and assume you're serious with this question.

Your market value as an employee is how much they have to pay to get you in the door and keep you on board. If you live in a town with a lot of truck drivers, your value is lower- you're easy to replace. If you live in an area with mostly union carriers, your value is higher- you might go work for more money with the other guy. If you live in San Francisco, your value is higher than someone who lives in Topeka because it costs more to live in CA.

It's not, as the union likes to frame it, simply how much the company likes you or how hard you work. If there's only one painter in your town, it's going to cost more to paint your house. If there's 50 painters, it's going to be pretty cheap. Are you going to pay one of those 50 guys twice as much to do the job just because that one guy makes more in another town where he's got a monopoly? Of course not- so why would XPO or any other corporation?

This post makes no sense. And you usually do a pretty good job of expressing your opinion.

Because XPO is a global company, many of it's employees are Californian or Vietnamese and whatever else.

In your mind. Who deserves equal treatment and who does not ? Where do you draw the line ?

We all do the same job and have an equal share in this company's success. Driver to driver. Dockhand to dockhand.

So if you had to pick one wage and benefit package company wide, which would it be ? Can an American live on Vietnamese wages ? Can the company afford to pay the Vietnamese an American wage ? California has very different labor laws from the rest of the country, should the company adopt those policies nationwide and globally ? Can you attract and keep drivers in New Jersey for the same compensation as in Jacksonville ? Should the drivers running shuttles get our hourly wage ? Should the Truckload drivers get our mileage pay ? Or should we be paid as they are ?

If you drive 50 miles from my barn, you get paid $2.00/ hr more. It's based on "market value".

I forgot about that. It's not even regional at all. Good point, man.

The boys in Detroit get paid quite a bit more than me. For the same job. But who the hell wants to live and work in Detroit ?

No blurting or Propanganda son just the cold hard truth......
Don't matter who's name is on the door, their all the same
Business model ? A new fancy way to move LTL freight...usually at the workers expense

Ain't nobody here your son, pops.

It does matter. Different companies put greater value on different resources and ideologies.

Business model. Are you next day ? LTL ? TL ? Economy freight ? Intermodal ? A blend ? How much of which if you are ? Is that blend integrated ? It ain't the 1970's any more. Very few true stand alone LTL companies exist. And even they have partnerships.

Please explain exactly what market value is? And why that determines how much someone is paid... thx

Starting to think this conversation is over your head.

Who exactly do you feel you are better than and who exactly should be worse off than you ?

XPO isn't stupid enough to touch this guy, at-will employee or not. He'd better keep up with his absences though...

It's really a good example of why unions just aren't that important- we've all got laws that protect us and lawyers ready to make money off of them.

Three awesome posts in sequence. I wish I had read them before I responded to other users. Good stuff here.

I agree they won't just walk up and fire him immediately. But that bulls eye has got a couple more rings on it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.