Yellow | Yellow Corporation Provides Quarter-To-Date Operating Data for First Quarter 2021

1 biller, volumes are money losers most of the time. 14, thousand pound skids, with 10 different destinations will beat that all to heck.
When pups went on the rail, single billers were hauled at a cheaper rate than multiple shipment loads.

They use every excuse for losing money except bad management
I pulled a set where the lead was 9k, tag 6k. Profitable truckers don't do that. The next tour I swapped to a set where the tag was double placarded with one missing placard and 12k of totes on board, no UN #'s. The supervisor didn't catch it either. Profitable truckers don't do that.

I pulled a set where the lead was 9k, tag 6k. Profitable truckers don't do that. The next tour I swapped to a set where the tag was double placarded with one missing placard and 12k of totes on board, no UN #'s. The supervisor didn't catch it either. Profitable truckers don't do that.

OK, just for the record, how can you tell whether or not a load is profitable just by the weight alone? Also, if you read posts of other companies on TB you may see that even "profitable" companies screw up just like what you pointed out. Just saying.

Why not raise the rates on volume loads?
Some shippers get low pricing on volumes, but give them a lot of LTL too. So to keep peace, the sales reps negotiate their pricing that way. On the other hand, some shippers call in say 14 skids, stackable, 5,000 lbs,but in reality they are either uneven, or too tall to stack, so it ends up being a head load on a pup with literally hardly any room left on the trailer, and if it never gets looked at, or run through the dimensioners, they get a cheap move because no one follows up on this type of BS. But when things slow down also, companies now want the volumes to fill trailers, even if it doesn’t pay.
Can’t always win.

OK, just for the record, how can you tell whether or not a load is profitable just by the weight alone? Also, if you read posts of other companies on TB you may see that even "profitable" companies screw up just like what you pointed out. Just saying.
This is a pattern, not an exception. The exceptional are heavy trailers (another way to say "full of revenue") That's for the record. If the goal is, say, 22k that means you have created one empty. Do it again and another empty is created. That's an empty set. (another way to say "no revenue") This is LTL 101. Truck driver kindergarten. Old Dominion, for example, doesn't do these light pups and they make great profits. They keep 'screw ups' to a minimum, not a way of life.