Yellow | Yellow Corporation Provides Quarter-To-Date Operating Data for First Quarter 2023

"During the fourth quarter, the carrier reported a 25% year-over-year drop in tonnage.

Yellow also reported a net loss of $15.5 million in the fourth quarter despite the $28.2 million windfall from the sale of a terminal. LL"

25% drop in tonnage? Must be the culling of the freight that yellow is giving up "in order to concentrate on core principles and synergies
resulting in GE%^%YTEi8ty and H&*^RJKd"

"During the fourth quarter, the carrier reported a 25% year-over-year drop in tonnage.

Yellow also reported a net loss of $15.5 million in the fourth quarter despite the $28.2 million windfall from the sale of a terminal. LL"

What are they going to do when they run out of real estate to sell? Looks like a slow motion liquidation, like Sears. Do they own any equipment or lease it?

What are they going to do when they run out of real estate to sell? Looks like a slow motion liquidation, like Sears. Do they own any equipment or lease it?
It's all leased, as far as I know. They seem to be following the Nations Way business model. Shrink their way to profitability. :duh:
From Form10-K filed with SEC December 2022...

"The Company’s employees are dedicated to operating its extensive network which transported approximately 14.2 million shipments in 2022. On
December 31, 2022, the Company’s revenue fleet was comprised of approximately 12,700 tractors, including approximately 11,700 owned tractors and
1,000 leased tractors,
and approximately 42,000 trailers, including approximately 34,800 owned trailers and 7,200 leased trailers. The Company’s network
includes 308 strategically located service facilities including 166 owned facilities with approximately 10,000 doors and 142 leased facilities with
approximately 9,100 doors,
in addition to six warehouses managed by our logistics solution provider, Yellow Logistics."

"The Company’s employees are dedicated to operating its extensive network which transported approximately 14.2 million shipments in 2022. On
December 31, 2022, the Company’s revenue fleet was comprised of approximately 12,700 tractors, including approximately 11,700 owned tractors and
1,000 leased tractors,
and approximately 42,000 trailers, including approximately 34,800 owned trailers and 7,200 leased trailers. The Company’s network
includes 308 strategically located service facilities including 166 owned facilities with approximately 10,000 doors and 142 leased facilities with
approximately 9,100 doors,
in addition to six warehouses managed by our logistics solution provider, Yellow Logistics."

So they only have 166 owned facilities left. Roadway alone owned more than that when Yellow purchased them.

Top 10 Service Facilities by Number of Doors at December 31, 2022

Location Doors Owned/Leased

Chicago Heights, IL 426 Owned
Winston-Salem, NC 349 Owned
Bloomington, CA 325 Leased
Maybrook, NY 304 Owned
Harrisburg, PA 281 Owned
Charlotte, NC 274 Leased
Atlanta, GA 227 Leased
Cincinnati, OH 216 Owned
Greenville, SC 214 Owned
Nashville, TN 213 Owned

So they only have 166 owned facilities left. Roadway alone owned more than that when Yellow purchased them.

From Roadway Express Form 10-K 12/31/2002...

As of December 31, 2002, REX operated 371 terminal facilities, of which 252 were Company owned and 119 were leased, generally for terms of three years or less.

Just for the sake of discussion, here are the number of owned/leased terminals at ABF. Seems they lease a greater percentage than Yellow does.

From ArcBest Form 10_K...

Asset-Based Segment
The Asset-Based segment operates out of its general office building located in Fort Smith, Arkansas and 239 revenue
producing facilities, 10 of which also serve as distribution centers. The Company owns 110 of these Asset-Based segment
facilities and leases the remainder from nonaffiliates.

Top 10 Service Facilities by Number of Doors at December 31, 2022

Location Doors Owned/Leased

Chicago Heights, IL 426 Owned
Winston-Salem, NC 349 Owned
Bloomington, CA 325 Leased
Maybrook, NY 304 Owned
Harrisburg, PA 281 Owned
Charlotte, NC 274 Leased
Atlanta, GA 227 Leased
Cincinnati, OH 216 Owned
Greenville, SC 214 Owned
Nashville, TN 213 Owned
Harrisburg, is that the Roadway Carlisle facility? I thought that had more than 281 doors.

Yes, that's the former Roadway Carslisle facility. They sold off the smaller terminal building to Saia a number of years ago. I guess that's why the number of doors is now lower.

You probably remember the old Roadway facility over in Camp Hill?

I remember it from going past many years ago in a non-trucking trip there. However I did run to to Yellow Lancaster (LCP) numerous times before the move to Carlisle.
I worked out of Camp Hill for about 9 months in 74 then got laid off. The next year I hired on at Tannersville and never got laid off again. Motor Freight Express was right across the street and New Penn was down the road a little.