Yellow | Yellow Freight - CGB / Chicago Ridge Location Namesake?

minpl

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey all,

My father was a driver with Yellow for many years but passed away some time ago, and I never had a chance to ask him this question.

Going through his things, I saw that the location that he worked at was CGB, which apparently refers to the Chicago Ridge location. But I'm just curious - is CGB a generic code, or is it an acronym, and if so, what does it stand for?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Yellow used Alpha Codes that co-related to the city/town that the terminal was in or near. My understanding was that CGB was for Chicago but for the Breakbulk, hence the "B". I used to have a complete list, but I don't remember where I might have put it. I am sure a good search can find it.

Each code had a 3 digit code as well that related to them. I started out at DAL/005, which to my understanding was the 5th terminal that Yellow opened. I honestly don't remember if KCM (Kansas City) or STL (St Louis) was 001, but hopefully you get the idea.

Yellow used Alpha Codes that co-related to the city/town that the terminal was in or near. My understanding was that CGB was for Chicago but for the Breakbulk, hence the "B". I used to have a complete list, but I don't remember where I might have put it. I am sure a good search can find it.

Each code had a 3 digit code as well that related to them. I started out at DAL/005, which to my understanding was the 5th terminal that Yellow opened. I honestly don't remember if KCM (Kansas City) or STL (St Louis) was 001, but hopefully you get the idea.
Chicago Gateway Breakbulk?

(since it was a old Gateway terminal?)