Yellow | Yellow Latest COO Gossip

Kennesaw Kid

TB Legend
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
Yellow is "reportedly changing" their timeline for the merger of Holland and YRC Freight from the end of the year to the end of October.

Reports indicate that in order to quell some of the rampant rumors about terminal mergers and closings in the Midwest, management has been meeting with drivers and recently confirmed that even though the merger of Reddaway with YRC Freight in the West has been placed on hold, the merger of Holland and YRC Freight will be completed by the end of October.

If the 60-day notice to the union hold true, details of this change would have to come out by Friday, September 2, three days before Labor Day. Stay tuned!

COOahead2022---Copy.md.jpg

Yellow is "reportedly changing" their timeline for the merger of Holland and YRC Freight from the end of the year to the end of October.

Reports indicate that in order to quell some of the rampant rumors about terminal mergers and closings in the Midwest, management has been meeting with drivers and recently confirmed that even though the merger of Reddaway with YRC Freight in the West has been placed on hold, the merger of Holland and YRC Freight will be completed by the end of October.

If the 60-day notice to the union hold true, details of this change would have to come out by Friday, September 2, three days before Labor Day. Stay tuned!

Interesting its Labor day wk-end , as we all remember what happened to the old CF on Labor Day wk-end years ago !!:stirthepot:

I have confirmation that the change will take place 10/29 @ 2200. KK, I understand the 60 day notification, but isn’t the actual time frame more like 90 days? They seem to usually put their proposal out, and ask for a hearing which seems to be about 30 days later. The decision seems to come a week or two later, and implementation is about 4-6 weeks after.

It will be very interesting to see how they will deal with cities that have too many Teamsters that will fit into one barn. Big R how many Teamsters between YRC and Holland in Chicago?

It will be very interesting to see how they will deal with cities that have too many Teamsters that will fit into one barn. Big R how many Teamsters between YRC and Holland in Chicago?
Not sure of the total, but YRC has 4 barns, Holland 3. They both occupy Wheeling terminal.

I keep hearing they can't afford to lose doors or drivers so few terminals are closing, but there will be a lot of zip code shuffling.

One of the top 5 Yellow drivers has been bid into the same location for at least the last 15 years. Been there so long has his own ID for the gate and has pretty much free access to everything.
Now Reddaway has signed in at the gate less than a dozen times since the first of the year. ( How do you think one can find this out ) They claim that they serviced that area. The zip code was given to the Reddaway terminal and he would not be allowed to bid to that terminal.
So glad I missed the First ::shit:: Show act with RDWY
Now act 2 The Shrink to Fit Second Time Around Senergy.

Still waiting for those Reddaway work rules to surface .....

One of the top 5 Yellow drivers has been bid into the same location for at least the last 15 years. Been there so long has his own ID for the gate and has pretty much free access to everything.
Now Reddaway has signed in at the gate less than a dozen times since the first of the year. ( How do you think one can find this out ) They claim that they serviced that area. The zip code was given to the Reddaway terminal and he would not be allowed to bid to that terminal.
So glad I missed the First **** Show act with RDWY
Now act 2 The Shrink to Fit Second Time Around Senergy.

Still waiting for those Reddaway work rules to surface .....
Idk what these Reddaway rules are everyone’s talking about. Been here 23 years and it seems to be following the union rules really close. The only explanation of Reddaway rules I’ve heard of were. Reddaway pays flat times for work. .5 for fuel, .5 for doubles drop or hook, .75 for triples drop or hook, etc. It takes about 10-15 minutes to fuel but you get the .5 no matter what. My understanding is Yellow pays time. I’m sorry YRC. So that’s when you get the “find a shaded tree and read the newspaper syndrome”. Most, meaning 99% of Reddaway yards you drop, break up and or hook your own sets and get paid for the work. These are the only rules that I can find that are different from Yellow.

Last edited:

Lol I really wouldn’t hold my breath for that to happen. They did the exact same stuff over here on the west side. I had meetings with corporate coordinators of this new change.Put everything on hold. Absolutely zero has been talked about. I might be a cynic but if they’re having a hard time over here on the west. I can’t imagine the rest of the country going any smoother than this.

Idk what these Reddaway rules are everyone’s talking about. Been here 23 years and it seems to be following the union rules really close. The only explanation of Reddaway rules I’ve heard of were. Reddaway pays flat times for work. .5 for fuel, .5 for doubles drop or hook, .75 for triples drop or hook, etc. It takes about 10-15 minutes to fuel but you get the .5 no matter what. My understanding is Yellow pays time. I’m sorry YRC. So that’s when you get the “find a shaded tree and read the newspaper syndrome”. Most, meaning 99% of Reddaway yards you drop, break up and or hook your own sets and get paid for the work. These are the only rules that I can find that are different from Yellow.
Yellow CONTRACT rules call for the set to already be built for Linehaul if the terminal had the equipment available. If not, the drivers get paid for ALL time involved. You cannot build a set 100% every time as you stated due to the weather, etc., etc. IF, equipment was available and the terminal went home, you get all time involved PLUS a 4-Hour Penalty Pay.

Yellow CONTRACT rules call for the set to already be built for Linehaul if the terminal had the equipment available. If not, the drivers get paid for ALL time involved. You cannot build a set 100% every time as you stated due to the weather, etc., etc. IF, equipment was available and the terminal went home, you get all time involved PLUS a 4-Hour Penalty Pay.
Huh I’m not quite sure what “you cannot build a set 100% every time” means. Yes we build our sets most everywhere. The larger terminals SLC, Portland, Denver, Fontana the hostas will hook your set. Pretty much everywhere else you’re doing all the work no matter what. So with that being said I still don’t know what Reddaway rules are lol I guess I’ll keep on asking…

No Production quota
Bid forklift positions on dock
Bid dock sweeper
Bid vacation days by seniority
Bid city P&D runs
Bid City Tractor
Garage does the fueling
Bid yard positions
No hooking of trailers at the dock
If their is OT to be had must be offered in seniority
Bumping procedures
Order of call
Order of dispatch
What happens when your late to work
Exercise your seniority when your bid is cancelled
Rain gear and rubber boots
Ice and snow on dock
Maintaining dock plates
These are just a few of what the company and the union came to agreement on how things would be handled. Most were safety related after the fact.

Huh I’m not quite sure what “you cannot build a set 100% every time” means. Yes we build our sets most everywhere. The larger terminals SLC, Portland, Denver, Fontana the hostas will hook your set. Pretty much everywhere else you’re doing all the work no matter what. So with that being said I still don’t know what Reddaway rules are lol I guess I’ll keep on asking…
When it is pouring rain and lighting, you cannot build a set in the same time when the weather us clear. I never had any trouble being paid for all time involved in bad weather. The 4- hours penalty is in The Contact.

No Production quota
Bid forklift positions on dock
Bid dock sweeper
Bid vacation days by seniority
Bid city P&D runs
Bid City Tractor
Garage does the fueling
Bid yard positions
No hooking of trailers at the dock
If their is OT to be had must be offered in seniority
Bumping procedures
Order of call
Order of dispatch
What happens when your late to work
Exercise your seniority when your bid is cancelled
Rain gear and rubber boots
Ice and snow on dock
Maintaining dock plates
These are just a few of what the company and the union came to agreement on how things would be handled. Most were safety related after the fact.
Huh we do have production quotas but nobody really watches that too close. So how do you get anything done if there’s no quota ? Idk maybe that’s a problem especially in the transportation industry. The only way to get in trouble is if you’re completely not working or going home for long periods of time. I’ve know guys to have gotten fired over 3 hour home lunch breaks. Everything else pretty much we do. I don’t think we have bid Forklifts. We do have big tractors. We do have seniority-based runs and PND positions. We don’t have a bid position for sweeper. Pretty much everyone helps out and cleans off the dock. We do have seniority-based vacation. Yes of course we have seniority-based bumping. Seniority-based call, seniority based dispatch. No we don’t have rain gear or rubber boots. I don’t know what ice and snow on dock means. Of course we have dock plate maintenance as well. We also have maintenance on forklifts, tractors and trailers. So pretty much the same thing as yellow. Oh we do have seniority-based bid tractors. Where you can keep your stuff in. Other than quotas that nobody really pays attention to. And rain gear we follow the same procedures.

Last edited:
When it is pouring rain and lighting, you cannot build a set in the same time when the weather us clear. I never had any trouble being paid for all time involved in bad weather. The 4- hours penalty is in The Contact.
Huh the four hour penalty would be cool. I did know I had to explain hooking a set in the rain. I Automatically assumed we work with other humans that would understand the pause due to heavy rain fall. I’ve never heard of a manager or supervisor getting pissed at a delay in a hook due to rain.