yippy,paid my home off,however now I can't get homeowners insurance.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
My mortgage bank had me signed up with Liberty Mutual from 1990.
From then till now I never had one claim,but now that I made my last house payment.
They don't want me anymore just because I own 2 German Shepherds.
Which according to their underwriters are on the dangerous dog list.
My place is totally fenced in with a gate across my driveway,but they said they don't care.

I've spent my day calling other insurance agents & before giving them all of my info.
I asked if they could sell me a simple homeowners,if I owned the shepherds.

My next step tomorrow is to call German Shepherd dog breeders & ask who they are insured by.
I guess I could get rid of the dogs which I really hate to do,or go uninsured.
Only thing is if anything bad happens it could cost me a bundle.

I'm posting this on the Trucking Board to see if any of you have any suggestions?

i would suggest that you contact any and all shepherd owners as you said.

then i'd check with your town (or city) ordinances dept(??) to see if there is any required fee's you must pay, shots they must have proof of the dogs having, and maybe a vet's signature, basically testifying that they are gentle dogs.

you may have to get separate dog insurance. THAT may cost you a bundle.

it has to do with dogs that are known to attack people. like the mailman.

the mailman CAN refuse to deliver mail to your house,

UPS, and FedEx, CAN also refuse deliveries to your house.

thing is, if you hide the fact that you have these dogs, and they do attack someone, and they sue your insurance, you will get not only dropped after the payout, but blackballed as well.

we here in my state and i think specific to many cities and towns, we too have a vicious dog list. kind, gentle, pit bulls that are GREAT pets, are on the list, as well as a few others. BUT i highly doubt the welfare people have any insurance, nor do i suspect the average homeowner does as well.

you could also be sued in civil court, should any of your dogs attack, ON TOP OF any insurance you may have.

always look at that angle as well......

we here in my state and i think specific to many cities and towns, we too have a vicious dog list. kind, gentle, pit bulls that are GREAT pets, are on the list, as well as a few others. BUT i highly doubt the welfare people have any insurance, nor do i suspect the average homeowner does as well.

In 2016 there were 14 people killed by dog attack in the US, 11 of the 14 were killed by pit bulls or pit bull mixed breed. So far in 2017 there have been 5 people killed by dogs, all 5 were pit bulls.

My recently paid off home has been insured by State Farm Insurance for the past thirty years, with never an inquiry about dog ownership. But then I do live in New Mexico USA, as my license plate states.
nm00a.jpg

May help to check with your auto insurer and bundle home-owners with auto, usually means cheaper on both.

Thanks for all of the comments,however both of my dogs are licensed in my town,& listed on their dangerous dog list.
My property is required to be fully fenced with fences high enough the dogs can't get over,along with the driveway gate,which I have.
My towns animal control also requires at least $100,000.00 bond,or insurance rider on a home owners policy,to cover anyone coming on my property that gets bitten.

The younger dog likes to ride in my pickup with me.
I am required to have a leach & muzzle,if I let her out to relieve herself,which I do.

I have tried bundling my auto & homeowners,the auto is being excepted,but the homeowners is being rejected.

I put in a call to our local German Shepherd rescue,leaving a message on their voice mail,waiting to hear back.
I'll post the results,if & when I get a policy.

Last edited:
well i did say you "may have to" have dog insurance, and that $100,000.00 bond says it all.

keep us updated, you certainly DO NOT want to go without home insurance!!!!

Thanks for all of the comments,however both of my dogs are licensed in my town,& listed on their dangerous dog list.
My property is required to be fully fenced with fences high enough the dogs can't get over,along with the driveway gate,which I have.
My towns animal control also requires at least $100,000.00 bond,or insurance rider on a home owners policy,to cover anyone coming on my property that gets bitten.

I am required to have a leach & muzzle,if I let her out to relieve herself,which I do.

I have tried bundling my auto & homeowners,the auto is being excepted,but the homeowners is being rejected.

I put in a call to our local German Shepherd rescue,leaving a message on their voice mail,waiting to hear back.

A nice juicy boneless steak and or some McDonald's hamburgers will keep that dog busy while I check to see if you have that new gadget " ring doorbell " or flood light system

I promise to pet the dogs on my way out

That makes it sound like going bareback is not an option. And what do they do if you don't have that extra $100,000 coverage? I had a situation several years back where my homeowner's went from about $600/yr to something like $1600/yr with USAA. I called them and asked WTF? Their response was that my 1250 sq ft stone house built around 1820, that had been through one flood would cost $600,000 to replace as is if it was swallowed up by the earth and there was nothing left. You should have heard how the rest of that conversation went. So...hooked up with State Farm for about $800/yr and it's less because I have my auto with them now as well.

That makes it sound like going bareback is not an option. And what do they do if you don't have that extra $100,000 coverage? I had a situation several years back where my homeowner's went from about $600/yr to something like $1600/yr with USAA. I called them and asked WTF? Their response was that my 1250 sq ft stone house built around 1820, that had been through one flood would cost $600,000 to replace as is if it was swallowed up by the earth and there was nothing left. You should have heard how the rest of that conversation went. So...hooked up with State Farm for about $800/yr and it's less because I have my auto with them now as well.
now you see, i have home owners insurance as well, but not full replacement coverage, in case of a total loss and they have to rebuild. that cost to rebuild a 3 family house today would be about $800,000 to $900,000....sounds to me like they tried to push full replacement, rather than repair coverage on you.

and as it is NOW, my yearly premium IS at $1,600.......!!!!!

now you see, i have home owners insurance as well, but not full replacement coverage, in case of a total loss and they have to rebuild. that cost to rebuild a 3 family house today would be about $800,000 to $900,000....sounds to me like they tried to push full replacement, rather than repair coverage on you.

and as it is NOW, my yearly premium IS at $1,600.......!!!!!
Oh yes! They told me that full replacement was mandatory. I could build a much nicer, larger frame home for much less than they were talking about and that is exactly what I would do if my house disappeared. I told that woman she could have the whole house and its contents for 1/3 of that price, come and get it.

Oh yes! They told me that full replacement was mandatory. I could build a much nicer, larger frame home for much less than they were talking about and that is exactly what I would do if my house disappeared. I told that woman she could have the whole house and its contents for 1/3 of that price, come and get it.
see, here it is an option, not mandatory.....state insurance laws, you think dictate that coverage.>????

i'd take the money and run.....to the southwest....lol.....seriously.

My recently paid off home has been insured by State Farm Insurance for the past thirty years, with never an inquiry about dog ownership. But then I do live in New Mexico USA, as my license plate states.
nm00a.jpg
Monkey
Boy
Kisser
- - -
May
Be
Kook
- - -
Might
Banish
Kids
- - -
Mainly
Bundles
Kindling

You DO have such (potential activity) Dog Warning Signs Yes?? If so, then ANYONE disobeying said Warning of possible danger from Dogs, deserve whatever occurs and as such You are NOT LIABLE. If you have NO TRESPASSING signage and some twit trespasses and possibly gets bitten by one of your Dogs, You're NOT LIABLE for their recovery cost. Same as with Business property or a Mine Shaft.

Have you ever tried a Muzzle on yourself (think Hannibal Lecter)? To any Dog, it'll feel the same...or worse. Since You are on/in YOUR FENCED IN PROPERTY, how then is a Leash or Muzzle required??

Because the auto is less expensive to replace (IF they choose to do such).
NO INSURANCE company is required by ANY LAW to pay on anything covered. It is THEIR decision and stated in their Terms & Conditions. Look it up online.

Hopefully you'll recieve some POSITIVE results.

What happens if you take a home equity loan? Go back in debt for the minimum and get it through the bank again. I know nothing of these things other than you had no problem when you had the mortgage.

To God be the glory,my crisis is over.
Sunday evening my wife went to a lady's get together at our church & shared our situation.
then asked for prayer that Liberty Mutual would take us back.

Low & behold,Monday afternoon my wife called Liberty Mutual headquarters,& talked to a guy.
Where I had called the same place,& talked to a gal,that told me their underwriters were not going to insure us anymore.

However The guy she talked to was more open minded,when he asked about our dogs,if they would be a threat.
My wife assured him they would not be a problem with our totally fenced yard,& that a muzzle was used going off our property.

He then asked if we were willing to bundle our auto insurance with the home owners.
She asked me & I said go for it.
So we debited the down payments,with our former homeowners being reinstated,along with a new policy for our vehicles.

Then just like that we are back in business.
Which I'm giving the credit to God.
I do believe it was God who had the guy my wife called more receptive than the gal I called.