Central Transport | Your exp at your local terminal

whitetail9999

TB Lurker
Credits
This is the worse place i ever worked for period of time .At least 5 diffrent terminal mangers in the years i was there.Heres a short list of the issues i encountered in the years i was there.
Expired registrations
ez pass tags not paid
Pulling trailer with holes in them with hazmat
Constant brake issues
10 min at a stop and dispatch wants to know the problem
Shorting drivers on hours (Constant issue)
Mangement telling drivers you wont get your paycheck if your mvr isnt turned in
Trailers being pulled with forklift drivers in the trailers
Running 15 stops a day and coming back and unloading your trailer and be told you cant go home till you unload over the road trucks,
Hazmat spills leaking out of trailers and never cleaned up
Cherekee insurance (blue shield adminstrater) 90.00 a week for single and pays basicaly nothing out.
Dock workers being yelled at constantly to move faster.
Landing gear giving out and trailers falling on there sides with lift drivers in them
Toilets running over into breakrooms and not being cleaned up for a week
Payroll deductions for damage to company property.
New peterbults being destroyed by drivers and no one held accountable.
Call off a day and its deducted off your vacation time.
Constant osha violations and never correcting the issues for any lengh of time.
Several 100 employes quiting or terminated in 2017.
Drivers driving away with fuel nozzel still in truck tanks

Worked OTR for 7 months and got ::shit:: pay $4-600 take home a week. Quit that and wanted to try Ltl. Applied at the bigger companies but I didn't have enough experience. Central took me in asap for a night linehaul position. I'm at the Atlanta location, application process was easy, fill out a long ass packet, recruiter guy goes check over it, asks if I had any major accidents (rollovers,jackknife, etc..) and I said no, he said I was hired. Came in next day to do physical and do other paperwork, did not drug test for some reason while I was at the physical. Came back next Monday for orientation for a few hours and came back the following night for training. Me and other folks in orientation kept asking what the pay was butt they just said it's a "flat rate per load/trip" and could not give us any numbers.
Training is okay, basicaly just learned how to use the handheld since I already knew how to drive. Training T - F(start time 6:30pm), next Monday we do road test. For some odd reason, they decide to drug test us on Friday morning. Not sure why we didn't get tested when we got a physical.... folks at the medical center were also confused why they were seeing me again lol. I've been on my own for bout 2 months here, the company is better and less work than OTR and I'm making more money here.

The bad stuff:

(1) they pay my long trips correctly but short trips like moving to one of the yards close by they often forget. Delay time they forgot every single time and I would have to do everything 2-3 times to get paid for it. Still missing a pay for my 6th training day, I just gave up after asking them 5 times.

(2) Most trailers are ****ed up and will **** up on you while you're out

(3) seems like I'm stuck on the shortest runs (jasper, AL and valdosta, GA) which I'm fine with. Been getting valdosta mainly which pays 194 round trip but would be nice to get a longer run sometimes.

(4) me and most new guys are in a new truck everyday. They still haven't assigned us anybtrucks yet for some reason. We got some nasty folks here

(5) getting pulled into everybweigh station if it's open (no prepass on any trucks)

(6) Guys I'm relaying with will give me a ****ed up trailer half the time and I'll have to sit there and cal breakdown.

(7) no direct deposits, paper checks, I have to ask for a pay stub every Friday but the manager would direct me to the warehouse manager who will either direct me back to the terminal manager or give me ::shit:: for asking him.

(8) once I get back from my trip and wait for a door in my handheld, other drivers after me would park and go inside to get an override for a door asap. Extremely annoying and I've started to do it too since almost everyone does it.

(9) other drivers leaving the trucks ****ed up and never write them to the shop.

(10) ATL terminal we have a few weeks where we were short on trucks, Those few weeks with shortage of trucks they had me either going home, waiting for mechanics to do quick fixes to trucks to make them barely drive able for the night, or have someone take me to grab a truck at another terminal.

(11) 62 mph... did 70 in my truck while I was OTR

(12) terminal is disgusting with a barely working restroom that's dirty as ****. There's also a port-a-Potty outside that we can use but I'm not gonna find out how that is.

(13) They get you forklift certified but don't train you on it. I'm not gonna learn by myself while managers/supervisors are constantly yelling 24/7 at the lift drivers and those guys are going extremely fast so I'd probably just get in the way... we got 100 doors here and like 30 forks zooming everywhere

There is some more but I'm lazy to type them. I average around $740 a week after taxes doing mainly valdosta, ga runs. It's okay here, better than the OTR gig I was at.

At least they're letting you meet in Jasper. Back when I was there the ATL guys met MEM in Birmingham. Lol.

Glad the pay has gotten a little better. I ran 3000 miles a week and grossed $900. Hooked a set every night and broke and put them in the door every morning and didn't get paid a dime for it.

Get a little experience and apply at Estes or anywhere else. Central is still bottom of the barrel but at least it's a stepping stone.

I'm a little offended by tge "even aaa cooper is better" lol. I'm actually the happiest at Cooper. Limehaul run, and can guarantee you there is definitely momey there to be made. I have a truck that is less than 2 years old, and a schedule run that runs 52 weeks a year.

Get a year in and GET THE (you know what) OUT OF THERE!!! If you stay to long some other ltl companies may be reluctant to hire you. Some of my co-workers came from Central. They had a more difficult time getting hired

There is a Central terminal down the road from the terminal I run to in Houston. Their raggedy yellow trucks tearing down the street, 45+ in a 35, high beams on blinding everybody...they must not think much of drivers.

Get a year in and GET THE (you know what) OUT OF THERE!!! If you stay to long some other ltl companies may be reluctant to hire you. Some of my co-workers came from Central. They had a more difficult time getting hired
This is a complete lie. Other trucking companies try to recrute Central drivers daily because they are trained to do everything.

Only going by what my ex Central co workers dealt with trying to get hired
A lot has changed in the past year since Matthew took the company over. His priorities and veiws are much different from his fathers. I'm sure you have noticed the complete makeover with equipment on the street. That was just the beginning, pay at terminals have been increased up to 25%, better benefits, record breaking freight levels, higher referral bonuses, higher sign on bonuses, happier, better atmosphere at terminals. There has never been another LTL company that updated their fleet in this large of a scale in this short of a period of time. Honestly I thought no way it will never happen but he pulled off.

A lot has changed in the past year since Matthew took the company over. His priorities and veiws are much different from his fathers. I'm sure you have noticed the complete makeover with equipment on the street. That was just the beginning, pay at terminals have been increased up to 25%, better benefits, record breaking freight levels, higher referral bonuses, higher sign on bonuses, happier, better atmosphere at terminals. There has never been another LTL company that updated their fleet in this large of a scale in this short of a period of time. Honestly I thought no way it will never happen but he pulled off.

LMFAO yea ok whatever you say. Cause I know drivers that are still with the company and barely much has change. Still holes in the roof of the trailers, shop doesn’t repair anything. Your terminal might look nice in pretty cause of your market, but other locations are still junkyards. I drove passed a trailer last night with no tail lights on or clearance lights. All his trucks lights was working prefect. He had a line of drivers trying to flag him down and he drove without a care in the world that he was driving unsafe.

LMFAO yea ok whatever you say. Cause I know drivers that are still with the company and barely much has change. Still holes in the roof of the trailers, shop doesn’t repair anything. Your terminal might look nice in pretty cause of your market, but other locations are still junkyards. I drove passed a trailer last night with no tail lights on or clearance lights. All his trucks lights was working prefect. He had a line of drivers trying to flag him down and he drove without a care in the world that he was driving unsafe.
The only reason that trailer would have those issues is because the driver did not report them. Even if they did not have a shop they would have called road service or swing the load. That is completely the drivers fault not the companies.

The only reason that trailer would have those issues is because the driver did not report them. Even if they did not have a shop they would have called road service or swing the load. That is completely the drivers fault not the companies.

But for him to be able to pull out of the terminal like that is just insane. Cause when I worked for them my cut time was 7pm and most people were still there working. So that’s still crazy that even happened.

Don’t listen to me perfect, he’s not a driver, he’s management. Every driver at the terminal close to me is looking for work. They have new Pete’s but almost all of them are broke down or have issues. They have to all come back and empty their city trailers then use them for swaps cuz they have no trailers they can use cuz they all have holes in them and get refused at customers. CT makes 3.50 les than us an hour and no OT till 55 hours. CT is joke. No retirement fund, no good benefits. all their Pete’s are broke down and they even tried to rent trucks but Penske told them no because CT owes them 200,000k. Good luck working for the worst company in the LTL industry

But for him to be able to pull out of the terminal like that is just insane. Cause when I worked for them my cut time was 7pm and most people were still there working. So that’s still crazy that even happened.
Who's going to catch it if the driver doesn't? Its not like there are people standing in the yard checking you at the gate and unless it came from a break there are no switchers. That's the drivers responsibly to do a pretrial and post trip. Certain terminals will write the driver up if they pull junk like that into their barn. This company has all the resources they need, they just don't babysit these grown men and women. So usually the same people complaining about the equipment are the same people not wanting to take the time to do a proper pre and post trip. I'm sure you can understand that the shops rely on the drivers to tell them when something is wrong so when the drivers say nothing then who's fault is that