Your music .

I did not know for a long time that 'Leonard' was Tommy Collins. I also did not know for a long time that Tommy was the voice in 'Opal'. I suppose it was not a song because he did not actually sing in it. Just having some fun. As I remember a woman had an answer to 'Opal'. It also was fun.

I was probably down to see them at JFK where these last 2 clips are from. That week.
Greatest place for a young person back then to see a show. It held 110,000 I think.
And the parking lots all around it and the Vet and the Spectrum were full of people also.
I don't think they had chairs on the field. You could just go in there.
We could park in a Subway lot all the way in North Philly and ride in and out on the subway.
Idk if it's safe to park your car or ride in and out on the subway today.
I'm not into the cities much at all today.
I never go to NY or Philly anymore.

Last edited:
A Philly DJ used to say this. He'd say the Grateful Dead are not the best at what they do.
They're the only ones who do what they do.

That hits it pretty good.
I wasn't a Dead head. But I liked them and liked seeing them. It was a happy, friendly crowd. If we got tix to see Tom Petty or Metallica or ACDC or Neil Young I'm more than one nearby city. The shows were pretty much all rehearsed and done exactly the same. Note for note. Same set. Same order. If they said stuff in between songs it was even rehearsed.

If you went to see the Grateful Dead. It was never gonna be the same songs. If they played 20 songs....all 20 would be different.if they did 20 songs in one show, the next show would be 20 completely different songs. I don't think they ever even played the same song 2 shows in a row. And it was always improvised. Never ever exactly the same. Improvised jam session.
At least it didn't seem that way.
Totally different songs. Never in the same order. Always pretty unique. Different keyboard or guitar solos.