Yellow | Your thoughts

My thought has always been shipper/receiver responsible for loading/unloading of truckload shipments. This activity is to be completed during driver’s 10 hour reset. Never happen. My ltl company begs for weekend volunteers yet has no problem wasting our hours during the week. Late closes, late vias,etc

So many variables with shippers and receivers having different times of hours and appointments and drivers HOS status and next load to pickup. Very difficult juggling act to make it highly efficient with use of time.
Pete B. might be able to work something in the back door and get something done.

So many variables with shippers and receivers having different times of hours and appointments and drivers HOS status and next load to pickup. Very difficult juggling act to make it highly efficient with use of time.
Pete B. might be able to work something in the back door and get something done.
I'll bet it wouldn't be a first for ole Pete!

Put forklifts into the trailers and empty them in 15 minutes. Use extra space in between trailer and racks (They have like 5 miles of shelving in a big distribution center. Chop off 100 feet from all the ends facing the docks) hire people at 30.00 a hour or 150.00 a truckload to sort, stack, etc. Truck is gone in 20 to 30 minutes. 100 docks or more. Turn over that whole DC in a day.

None of that 12 18 20 30 hour or more waiting around as mobile storage. Sitting still means no money. What part of no money does the industry not understand? They damn well understand it. Thats the problem.

My solution was to go into high dollar pharmacy. Empty and reloaded in half a hour back to shipper at dawn anywhere east of the Mississppi or Rockies. Usually those meds are in the patients by dinner hour. Money takes care of itself when it overflows the banking unspent.

Hiring teens is something I am against. If you want to hire teens stick them behind the docks as use to be before the days of deregulation. When they bulk up and get simmered into the company way you can put them in your trucks at 21.

Some good points , but it comes down to paying Drivers for delay time & paying them a higher rate & retaining drivers instead of chasing them out the door ! Because 15% less drivers wouldn't quit if they addressed these issues !
Cash Money GIF

Some good points , but it comes down to paying Drivers for delay time & paying them a higher rate & retaining drivers instead of chasing them out the door ! Because 15% less drivers wouldn't quit if they addressed these issues !
Cash Money GIF
The damage is pernament. You could not get me to load a meat, seafood or cold storage load ever again. The last one at Americold in Salinas required a 85 hour wait before loading. FFE knew better than to send a team to sit on their ass the way we did and burn all of our fuel in precooling and taking care of our own waiting. All that for a 1000 mile haul. Its not worth it.

Its been 20+ years since that incident and it defined everything that ticks me off still about trucking. We have no reason to reenter the industry now. Nothing has changed and I bet the pay is still the same or within a few cents what they paid back then.

And zero for sitting at a dock.