Yellow | Yrc The Cancer Of The Trucking Industry

Toby

TB Legend
Credits
YRC The Cancer Of The Trucking Industry

There comes a point that you have to stop worrying that you will be persecuted for speaking the truth, and that point has arrived. For way to long those that not only work for this corporation, but also those who are in the industry in one form or another understand that the YRC Corporation has evolved into a cancer in the trucking industry. Today the question really is should it be allowed to be euthanized, or should it mercifully be allowed to die on its own?

The cancer that started out as a simple tumor has been allowed to grow into stage four proportions. In the quest to dominate the LTL marketplace Yellow Trucking embarked upon the strategy of acquiring competing companies and running them into the ground. Long before they bought Roadway and USF they acquired and destroyed perfectly good companies. They overextended themselves when they took out loans to buy both Roadway and then USF. In the ensuing years all they have done is mismanage and dismantle companies that once were the leaders in the industry.

While competing companies have bounced back for the most part from the downturn in the economy, YRC and its sister companies continue to demand give backs and sacrifices from its employees. Even when a small profit is shown from time to time and large corporate payouts to executive officers, the rank and file employees suffer with stagnant wages and retirement contributions.

The sacrifices that the rank and file employees have gone in vane when you examine it with open and honest eyes. Since January, 2009 each hourly employee who has taken a 15% wage cut has given back to the company roughly $93,500 out of their pocket to keep this disease afloat. With an average of $11,500 dollars on the low side in wage give backs yearly one would assume that the sacrifice was being put to good use, but sadly we see that it has not. The wages alone were not the only sacrifice or overall monetary giveback. With the pension freeze that occurred and the vacation giveback the company reaped in millions of dollars annually in reductions of overhead costs.

Monetary sacrifices were not the only thing that occurred as a result of the spread of this cancer, The reputation of these once great companies suffered in the ensuing years as well, not only to the customers, but throughout the industry to fellow drivers and workers in the industry. At one time fellow drivers looked to companies like Yellow, Roadway, and Holland as the pinnacle point to strive for in a driving career. While we may never have driven the most pretty trucks or had the newest equipment on the road, we did lead the industry in wages and benefits. We set the bar for other companies in these regards, while today for like sized companies we are at the bottom in regards to wages and retirement.

When once it was difficult to be hired on to these companies without years of experience, today the scramble to bring in drivers with little to no experience is in full swing. Without a doubt the industry as a whole is suffering from a lack of drivers, especially experienced qualified drivers. It only highlights the fact that where once Yellow, Roadway, Holland, and the other companies under the YRC umbrella would be able to attract those in this industry even in circumstances such as a driver shortage. The reputation of this corporation has suffered so bad that even experienced non-union drivers whisper and in many cases feel pity towards those at YRC and its sister companies. Drivers hear it on the streets everyday whether they are honest to admit it or not.

Like anyone suffering from a disease moral and personal circumstances are tested and in many cases suffer. The overall moral of rank and file employees is an all time low, those who have been around prior to the 2009 MOU understand just what has been given away. They understand or they should understand that they will never get back what they gave up. The 2014 MOU was a clear indication that the eventual death spiral of this company was only a matter of time. Even with all the sacrifices, corporate continued to follow a failing business plan. As a result of over extending and purchasing of companies that they in all rights had no right to purchase they dug a hole that cannot be filled no matter how much the rank and file employees sacrifice.

When you go back to all the sacrifices that the rank and file employees have given for this cancer of the trucking industry the unmentioned sacrifice that those who run it do not see or understand the real personal cases. While rank and file employees suffered through loss of homes and marriages, bankruptcies, injuries, and a diminished outlook to retirement corporate officers and management made bank. They took home multi million dollar bonuses and continue to do so even as the company flounders like a fish out of water.

It is easy to begrudge the executive officers for taking these huge bonuses when the rank and file as well as the company as a whole suffers, but they are just abiding by the agreement and contracts that they negotiated. What many in the family of YRC fail to do is hold those who allowed the negotiations for what the rank and file received and have to live under. It was originally done in good faith that we would only have to sacrifice till 2015, then it was extended in 2014 with the MOU till 2019 and the question there is for what!

Did we see any improvement in the operating of this company?

Did we see a flood of new equipment roll into our terminals?

Did we see the existing equipment be properly maintained?

Do we honestly think that we will return to industry standard in wages and retirement in 2019?

I would have to argue no to all the above!

The cancer has embedded so deep that once great companies that are now under the umbrella of YRC who attracted the best are now left scrambling to just fill the roster. After years of using outside cartage at the expense of millions of dollars a day, we are now really witnessing just how poorly our sacrifices have been wasted. It is of no wonder that moral throughout the YRC family is at an all time low! The rank and file put up with many things over the last eight years from seeing ,”Do not ship on YRC” on bills at shippers, to personal financial hardships.

Without doubt we all had choices, that is not in question one bit. Today, just as when this cancer first started to go terminal we have a choice. Will we choose to continue to put off the inevitable by agreeing in the upcoming contract to keep sacrificing without holding those in charge both Corporate and Union accountable, or will we demand and possibly push for a final treatment one way or another and return to standards becoming of a company of this size?

For so many the choice to remain in the family of YRC was due to years of service and years in the Union. The most difficult thing in life sometimes is change and we are not willing to change the page and embark on a new chapter. We examine the pro’s and con’s of doing so in deep regard even allowing small nuggets of pro’s to outweigh all of the negatives. YRC so far has allowed just enough of those small nuggets to dangle in front of us with the insurance offered and the hope that the rank and file will get a portion of what they gave up back in the coming years.

If they come out with the proposal to give us a portion back wage wise, but ask for equal contribution to health and welfare then it is obvious that the gig is up for this place and that the cancer has fully overtaken the system to the point of no return.

At some point in the coming days we will all have to make the choice. Do we allow it to die on its own, or do we gracefully euthanize it and change the page and start new chapters. One thing is for certain freight will still need to be moved, and with a lack of experienced drivers in the industry there will not be difficult to continue on the career path as a driver. In most cases you just may get the raise you deserve.

"If they come out with the proposal to give us a portion back wage wise, but ask for equal contribution to health and welfare then it is obvious that the gigis up for this place and that the cancer has fully overtaken the system to the point of no return"

That paragraph says it all. That's all that we need to keep in mind.
The rest. We know. Common sense and being there all these years has given us the insight.

Stop telling the TRUTH or these company brown nose guys on TB's will call you unhappy & disgruntled !! :argue:
wongway, I feel everybody working at YRC has a big decision to make sometime in the future. That said, everybody that participates in this forum has the right to their own opinion. To tell you the truth I actually agree with some of the feelings and doubts you have about YRC. That is why I quit and retired because I knew and lived thru givebacks at other companies and know that they never work. That said I feel you have been around this industry long enough to make an educated decision about whether to stay or go. Why would somebody let his job upset him everyday he has to go to work. I didn't, so I left, there are plenty of jobs for drivers maybe not union jobs but you know its all over in our industry. We had a good run but our boys in Washington dropped the ball by not organizing soon enough. Like I said everybody has their own opinions and decisions to make and their opinions shouldn't affect yours.

Stop telling the TRUTH or these company brown nose guys on TB's will call you unhappy & disgruntled !! :argue:

Hey Wong, it's those "company brown nose guys" who voted to accept the MOU so that the company could survive till now so people like you could continue to whine and complain while you lack the gonads to get up and leave the job you hate and get something better. But hey, go ahead and do your whining, you're quite amusing.

The problem I hate to say is the non qualified CDL workers at our barn not all but some who work all the overtime and kiss managements a--. They know that if something happens to this company they would be hard pressed to make 10 dollars hour. Drivers are at a prime and we all should be making 30 dollars a hour right now so since there is no more solidarity it's time for the drivers to spin off from the rest and start our own contract. I know there are lots of non qualified teamsters working the dock and yards so really don't want to see this happen over a few idiots. They are job killers and should be black ball. Cancer of the trucking industry is absolutely correct .

Hey Wong, it's those "company brown nose guys" who voted to accept the MOU so that the company could survive till now so people like you could continue to whine and complain while you lack the gonads to get up and leave the job you hate and get something better. But hey, go ahead and do your whining, you're quite amusing.
Stand up and FIGHT for what's yours, When you see Boxers go into a ring to fight ,one doesn't give up & QUIT !! he has the GONADS to stay in ring FIGHT BACK , you don't LEAVE THE JOB , YOU STAY AND FIGHT WHAT IS YOURS , SO YES TRIP i WILL WHINE AND COMPLAIN BECAUSE I NOT A QUITTER THE YES SHEEP !!! I'm going whine & complain & ride this Yellow Dog into the ground in 2019 , as there is NO EQUAL SACRIFICE GOING ON ,IT'S ALL DRIVER'S SACRIFICE !! other than that Trip have a good day and eat a Snicker's candy bar !:biggrin new:

I'm not cdl qualified. Was at one time. Medical.
But I'm still not afraid to vote no.
Don't lump(pun intended) all non cdl people as ass kisser's.
I would put my foot up their ass and am not afraid of management.
What are they gonna do? Fire me? Ha. Short of murder it's almost impossible to get fired. And for speaking your mind. Never.

Excuse me. I see you said some.
Still its sad people brown it. What does it get you? A better load? More hours?
Who the f*ck cares. I see it too and it's pathetic.

I not saying all just some but I live in a right to work state so these are the same ones not paying union dues. If you don't live in a right to work state and this legislation passes which it will you'll see what I'm talking about.

I not saying all just some but I live in a right to work state so these are the same ones not paying union dues. If you don't live in a right to work state and this legislation passes which it will you'll see what I'm talking about.
It used to be that we needed a tool to fight our employers and that tool was a union. Now we need a tool to fight our union, we all see how our right to vote worked for us, we American's said no to Hoffa and the Canadians did us in. I see national RTW as the tool we need to fight our union. If we quit paying dues en masse it would get their attention. They'd have no money to pay their three pensions, healthcare for life, etc.

Stand up and FIGHT for what's yours, When you see Boxers go into a ring to fight ,one doesn't give up & QUIT !! he has the GONADS to stay in ring FIGHT BACK , you don't LEAVE THE JOB , YOU STAY AND FIGHT WHAT IS YOURS , SO YES TRIP i WILL WHINE AND COMPLAIN BECAUSE I NOT A QUITTER THE YES SHEEP !!! I'm going whine & complain & ride this Yellow Dog into the ground in 2019 , as there is NO EQUAL SACRIFICE GOING ON ,IT'S ALL DRIVER'S SACRIFICE !! other than that Trip have a good day and eat a Snicker's candy bar !:biggrin new:
wongway, I can't talk for anybody but myself. I worked for union freight jobs for 39 years and fought many battles with management and union officials who I thought weren't looking out for the membership. When I retired I left because I knew what was going to happen to us, we were going to get screwed and nobody or vote was going to stop the bullsh-t that's going on now and by the way will continue. Do you actually believe your job is going to give you back your pay, pension, vacation and all of the work rules we enjoyed for so many years? Well brother let me tell in to you straight, it ain't gonna happen, it's over this is what the job is and its not returning to what it used to be. I agree with you there is no equal sacrifice, we got screwed but the job is what it is now. Whine and complain 24 hours a day and it still won't change anything, and if you want my opinion it's going to get worse. I do believe in 2019 they still will ask for givebacks in order to keep operating. Your healthcare will be brought up as a bargaining chip. Lets face it the good old days are gone, as well as our pensions soon will be. Life is short my friend, plan for your future now, time is running out. Don't get KO'd and then say what happened? Nothing is going to change at YRC except maybe the doors will close. The choice is yours my friend, live with the bullsh-t or leave. Nothing is gonna change and you can take that to the bank!

Wong, this may come as a shock to you but whining and complaining and stomping your feet like a spoiled kid is not "fighting". Your so-called "fighting" is nothing more than bluster which we all know is your claim to fame. When is the last time you tried to get any non union guy to join the Teamsters? All you do is bad mouth the Union. Unless and until we organize the "nons" we will have no real strength in trucking. How do you expect a unionized carrier to continue paying high wages and benefits when our competition is primarily non-union today. It's not a level playing field, wake up.

Oh, and by the way, this is an example of how you really fight. When you get stiffed by the company and your local for leading the fight over a rotten back door deal, you don't just complain and **** and moan about the rotten deal you got. What you do is hire a labor attorney on your own dime (I have the cancelled checks to prove it) and you REALLY fight back in court all the way to your state's Supreme Court and you win. So please don't give me any crap about how you're such a terrific "fighter", OK? You're amusing on here, but that's about it.

We all have our own ways of blowing off steam. I go off by myself and have really good arguments. When I'm done, all is right.
Perhaps posting on Truckingboards, accomplishes the same thing for some of the members.

Wong, this may come as a shock to you but whining and complaining and stomping your feet like a spoiled kid is not "fighting". Your so-called "fighting" is nothing more than bluster which we all know is your claim to fame. When is the last time you tried to get any non union guy to join the Teamsters? All you do is bad mouth the Union. Unless and until we organize the "nons" we will have no real strength in trucking. How do you expect a unionized carrier to continue paying high wages and benefits when our competition is primarily non-union today. It's not a level playing field, wake up.

Oh, and by the way, this is an example of how you really fight. When you get stiffed by the company and your local for leading the fight over a rotten back door deal, you don't just complain and **** and moan about the rotten deal you got. What you do is hire a labor attorney on your own dime (I have the cancelled checks to prove it) and you REALLY fight back in court all the way to your state's Supreme Court and you win. So please don't give me any crap about how you're such a terrific "fighter", OK? You're amusing on here, but that's about it.
You would stick up for the union & yrcw , no matter what , so we will never ever agree on this subject and no claim to fame ,I just speak up and no afraid to call it as I see it !! and as for the level playing field , YRCW is the LOWEST PAID LTL DRIVER , so how is that not level , pay less & no matching 401-K ?? Ok have to stop now and go take my Blood Pressure meds!! , Enjoy you week Trip !

You would stick up for the union & yrcw , no matter what , so we will never ever agree on this subject and no claim to fame ,I just speak up and no afraid to call it as I see it !! and as for the level playing field , YRCW is the LOWEST PAID LTL DRIVER , so how is that not level , pay less & no matching 401-K ?? Ok have to stop now and go take my Blood Pressure meds!! , Enjoy you week Trip !

Point out how we can make the Union stronger (by getting the "nons" to unionize) is not "sticking up" for the Union. And pointing out facts about the company doesn't mean I'm "sticking up" for the company either. Get real. And when you refer to those who disagree with you as "company brown nose guys on TB's" what do you expect? Wise up, keep the smart ass comments about others to yourself and then we can all agree to disagree peacefully.

And by the way, I've never seen accurate, verifiable info about the actual total labor costs at non-union companies - i.e., wages plus actual benefit costs. Lots of opinions but not many facts.

ca990c10826c6a6070911f9949fb52c3.jpg
Thinking point here is that YRCW has WON, as they have us fighting each other at work daily and even on social media ! Everybody have a good week !

Are you ready to vote yes again in 2018? They are rolling out the new contract early.