Yellow | Yrc The Cancer Of The Trucking Industry

Always amazes me how many retired people, sitting at home,telling us that are stuck in this mess, what they would do if it was them, or how they would dictate to the company how to do things, or how YRC has ruined the whole trucking industry.
It always amazes me how gutless the Teamsters nowadays are when it comes to threats from the company. Yes, I am retired, but I was with two companies that pulled this same crap on us. Both times we voted by a big majority - NO 15% giveback. One company even came back with another demand - 10% or we close. We still stuck together and voted NO. At some point in your life, a man has to stand up for what he believes in regardless of the circumstances. To my knowledge, every company that has asked for, and received give-backs has shut the doors anyhow. As a result, the employees got nothing but the company owners or top brass got everything, including bonuses and retirement packages. The present day Teamsters have forgotten how to make a stand. The most recent General membership IBT election is a perfect example of that. Everybody complains about the corruption and do-nothing Teamster leadership from top to bottom, but then only 16.5% even bothered to send in a ballot to make some changes. More gutless apathy when their actions could have made a difference. Make no mistake, YRCW is going to close or at the very least continue to be a bottom feeding company paying the least and only hiring those that will continue to vote in favor of future MOU's.
Why stay in the Teamsters if you choose to accept lower pay and benefits than the NMFA? Then you wouldn't have to pay union dues either. That is the only thing your "do-nothing" leader Hoffa cares about - the dues. Even he knows that the days are numbered for YRC and even for the Teamster Freight Division that only has about 75,000 NMFA participants left. Hoffa still has over a million others paying dues from the other 21 Teamster divisions that have little or nothing to do with freight. You and all the other members of the Teamsters, YRCW and any other Teamster company have the "right" to give your money to whomever you choose. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "company" first pays you your full pay, then 15% is "voluntarily" returned to the company without you ever seeing it - correct? That is an "out" for the union to say that the company is abiding by the original NMFA contract and they have no control over what an employee does with their pay after that. Each employee is free to give back even more than the MOU agreement, if they choose out of each check - just mail it in. The company brass will be glad to take it.

Who does Walsh work for? Never heard of him. Hope he didn't get a big bonus too. :couch::cuss::stirthepot:
Even though Walsh is CEO of YRC on paper, in reality, Walsh "works" for himself.
He is in the business of stuffing his own pockets. His pay and bonuses are guaranteed no matter what happens to YRCW and it's employees.
Even if he is fired (which will never happen) you can bet he still covered his own butt with a "golden parachute" that will pay him millions on his way out the door. He has no incentive to do what he was hired to do. All the former CEO's at Yellow Frt are now living "the good life" in retirement somewhere, in spite of YRC (Yellow) being on the rocks and it's employees being screwed on a daily and hourly basis.

I experienced two Teamster strikes during the 1970's. Then the big one for me was the Teamster strike in 1994. For you all that stand tall in 2019, first of all I hope your not disappointed on the first day. When the company starts pulling trucks past your picket line, and no one will follow your example. None of the big talkers will back you up as you poke tires or pull fifth wheel trailer releases. That's what I found out as a retraining order was issued for me, and two or three others. I found out that talk is cheap.
I hear you on that.......I also was on the picket line in "94. That was one strike that really pissed me off. Although we had a good group that was there 24/7, we also had a guy that was one of our stewards that never showed up at all. When I asked where he was, my BA said there was nothing he could do to force this steward to stand picket duty ! ! He said a member has to take care of his family first. I found out later that this steward was working at 2 different companies while WE were doing picket duty every day (and night). He was working dock and city p & d for an "unstruck" Teamster company, NW Transport, working all the overtime he could get AND also doing short road runs for a non-union company called Al Johnson Trucking. Although he never showed on the picket line, the gutless people I worked with at the time (including the hall) never removed him as a steward. He remained a steward and I hated him until the day I retired - and I still hate him. He never "needed the money to support his family" then and he doesn't to this day. He was just too gutless to make a stand and my fellow co-workers were too gutless to vote him OUT as steward, instead saying "Oh, he's such a nice guy, I don't want to hurt his feelings" That STILL makes my blood boil over 20 years later. That was an "eye opener" for me to see where the "brotherhood" part of the Teamsters was going. It's only gotten a lot worse in the years since.
The other part of that particular '94 strike was that so many other Teamster companies were allowed to keep on operating. Those companies were adding employees and adding additional road runs to take up the slack and steal customers from the "struck" companies like ours. I knew some of the guys at those "other" companies. I asked them to slow down, call in sick, do everything short of being fired to support us by backing up the freight in the system. Didn't work - they just worked as many hours and miles as they could to make more money. Some of those people became my enemies during that strike. That's when I realized there was no more "brotherhood" in the Teamsters.

"We must indeed, all hang (stick) together, or most assuredly, we shall all hang separately".... Ben Franklin, 1776

Even ol' Ben knew what standing up for something as a group was all about in 1776 and he was gambling with his own life.

Last edited:
"United we stand, divided we fall" .......John Dickinson

The only reason your NMFA is even in existence and has the pay and benefits it contains now is due to the strikes and picket lines that those past retirees were willing stand on to demand from the employers just like YRC.
Now you are knocking those people that stood up when you are not willing to do the same?
You do not deserve to get top pay if you are not willing to stand up for it. The company "owns" you now. They know now you will cave.
Like the post back on page 10 said. 30 plus years ago when 75 percent of LTL was unionized, yes,strikes worked in our favor. Now, in an environment of 90 plus percent non union, a strike would just see the last few standing union companies disappear. And no, I am not knocking anyone. Just saying they all seem to think they know what is best for us.

BIG R GUY....
"United we stand, divided we fall" ......John Dickinson

The only reason your NMFA is even in existence and has the pay and benefits it contains now is due to the strikes and picket lines those past retirees were willing to stand on, to demand fair treatment from employers just like YRC. Those were sacrifices made for future Teamsters, retirees as well as themselves.
Now you are knocking those people that stood up when you are not willing to do the same?
You do not deserve to get top pay and benefits if you are not willing to stand up for it.
It's too late for YRC employees. The company "owns" you now. They know now you will cave when push comes to shove.
Now that it is known by other companies that 26,000 Teamsters have been intimidated into giving up a 15% portion of their earned paychecks, the end is near for the Teamsters Freight Division.
YRC employees can indeed give any portion of their paycheck the want. Why stop at 15% if the company still claims hardship? When is enough enough?
The Teamster Freight Division is toast already. It's just a matter of how long it lasts. It's pretty clear Hoffa don't give a damn. He's got his other 21 "divisions" to feed him unlimited dues money.
The same goes for YRC. It's on life support, but the top brass wants to keep it alive for as long as possible to keep lining their pockets. Those are the facts that most at YRC don't want to talk about.

Last edited:
Even though Walsh is CEO of YRC on paper, in reality, Walsh "works" for himself.
He is in the business of stuffing his own pockets. His pay and bonuses are guaranteed no matter what happens to YRCW and it's employees.
Even if he is fired (which will never happen) you can bet he still covered his own butt with a "golden parachute" that will pay him millions on his way out the door. He has no incentive to do what he was hired to do. All the former CEO's at Yellow Frt are now living "the good life" in retirement somewhere, in spite of YRC (Yellow) being on the rocks and it's employees being screwed on a daily and hourly basis.
Welsh. His name is

Always amazes me how many retired people, sitting at home,telling us that are stuck in this mess, what they would do if it was them, or how they would dictate to the company how to do things, or how YRC has ruined the whole trucking industry.
I have no ideal what I would do if I was stuck in this mess. But I do know, that this retiree will stand with you all in 2019.

Last edited:
Welsh. His name is
Since that is the correct spelling of his name, it is fitting - The dictionary listing is as follows ;

Welsh (verb) ; fail to honor (a debt or obligation incurred through a promise or agreement)

Welsh in Merriam-Webster (intransitive verb)
1. informal, now sometimes offensive : to avoid payment - used with on
2. informal, now sometimes offensive : to break one's word : renege

All I can say is, prepare yourselves now for the inevitable. I feel the end is near for this company. When the bankers have decided they can't get anymore blood out of YRC without a massive reinvestment in equipment, it's done. If you haven't started saving for the end, start now. Your already behind.
Look at the warning signs around you. Roadway ran junky equipment, and had money in the bank. YRC runs junky equipment, and has nothing in the bank.
Look at the competitions equipment, and the accounts they're in. They don't seem have trouble making money, and buying equipment, servicing the same businesses we once had.
The attitudes of the workforce are changing also. The loss of business, the empty promises, garbage equipment, all are signs of a dying company.
Buying a couple pup trailers, and a few tractors over the years means nothing. Just enough of an investment to limp the old dog along, and squeeze a few million more out of it. That's it.
This is the reason our local voted that turd of an MOU down twice. Our thinking was, get as much money out of it before it tanked. They weren't going to close back then. Yellow was way to far in the hole for them to close it. Now, after 10 years of interest on the debt, the leverage is in the banks favor. YRC still owes a billion dollars, and we're no further ahead on that debt then when the MOU came out. The bank could close it up, liquidate the remaining assets, and recoup all of their cash and then some. They've lost nothing. We've lost plenty.
This company OWES more than all LTL companies combined.

All I can say is, prepare yourselves now for the inevitable. I feel the end is near for this company. When the bankers have decided they can't get anymore blood out of YRC without a massive reinvestment in equipment, it's done. If you haven't started saving for the end, start now. Your already behind.
Look at the warning signs around you. Roadway ran junky equipment, and had money in the bank. YRC runs junky equipment, and has nothing in the bank.
Look at the competitions equipment, and the accounts they're in. They don't seem have trouble making money, and buying equipment, servicing the same businesses we once had.
The attitudes of the workforce are changing also. The loss of business, the empty promises, garbage equipment, all are signs of a dying company.
Buying a couple pup trailers, and a few tractors over the years means nothing. Just enough of an investment to limp the old dog along, and squeeze a few million more out of it. That's it.
This is the reason our local voted that turd of an MOU down twice. Our thinking was, get as much money out of it before it tanked. They weren't going to close back then. Yellow was way to far in the hole for them to close it. Now, after 10 years of interest on the debt, the leverage is in the banks favor. YRC still owes a billion dollars, and we're no further ahead on that debt then when the MOU came out. The bank could close it up, liquidate the remaining assets, and recoup all of their cash and then some. They've lost nothing. We've lost plenty.
This company OWES more than all LTL companies combined.
That' wasn't my train of thought when I voted NO.NOT once but the whole time.A worldwide company asking for give backs..lol.

That' wasn't my train of thought when I voted NO.NOT once but the whole time.A worldwide company asking for give backs..lol.

But yet you show up for work every day accepting "less" as you put it. Why? What's your excuse? Just curious.

But yet you show up for work every day accepting "less" as you put it. Why? What's your excuse? Just curious.
I show up to make a living first and foremost secondly I like to observe in disbelief how bad the company lies and deceives us and thirdly I like to watch to see how badly supervisors screw up.Fourthly if you quit you're out of the game.Plus you can't come to truckingboards and complain.Because you can't complain about any issues pertaining to this company if you're like Wong or BRG driving for YRCRST