FedEx Freight | YRC to cut another 50 terminals in 2011

"If UNEXPECTED adverse driving conditions slow you down, you may drive up to 2 extra hours to complete what could have been driven in normal conditions." "Even though you may drive 2 extra hours under this exception, you must not drive after the 14th consecutive hour...."

www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/fmcsa-guide-to-hos.pdf

Header - Interstate Truck Driver's Guide to Hours of Service
What Is the Non-CDL Short-Haul Exception?
If you drive short distances in a truck that does not require a commercial driver’s license (CDL), you might be able to use the non-CDL short-haul exception. This short-haul exception allows you to extend the 14-consecutive-hour duty period 2 days in a 7-consecutive-day period or after any 34-hour restart.
You can only use this exception if you:

Drive a truck that does not require a CDL, and

Work within a 150 air-mile radius (see p. 2 for explanation of “air miles”) of your normal work reporting location and return there each day.
If you meet the criteria for using the non-CDL short-haul exception:

You must not drive for more than 11 hours following 10 consecutive hours off duty;

You must not drive past the 14th hour after coming on duty 5 days in any period of 7 consecutive
days; and

You must not drive past the 16th hour after coming on duty 2 days in any period of 7 consecutive
days.

You must not drive after being on duty 60 hours in any 7 consecutive days or 70 hours in any 8 consecutive days (unless you took 34 consecutive hours off to restart a 7/8-day period).
Under this exception you are not required to keep a log book, but your company must keep a time record for 6 months showing the times your duty period began and ended and your total hours on duty for the day.
If you come under this exception you are not eligible for the 100 air-mile radius exception, 16hour
short-haul exception, or the split sleeper berth provision.
This regulation is found in Section 395.1(e)(2).
What Is the 16-Hour Short-Haul Exception?
If you usually come back to your work-reporting location and go home at the end of your workday,
you might be able to use the 16-hour short-haul exception. This exception allows you to extend the 14-consecutive-hour duty period once every 7 consecutive days. In order to use this exception, you must do the following:

You must return to your work reporting location that day, as well as for your last 5 duty tours. A duty tour is the period of time from when you come to work to when you leave work. It is your “workday,” the time between your off-duty periods of at least 10 consecutive hours.

You must be released from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty.

You must only use this exception once every 7 consecutive days (unless you took 34 consecutive
hours off to restart a 7/8-day period).
You may not use this exception if you qualify for the “Non-CDL Short Haul Exception” explained earlier.
This regulation is found in Section 395.1(o).

The key words here are (NON CDL Equipment) How many bob-tails do we have running short line. I would guess none. So all this has nothing to do with anything. TP

geeze they are going to be screwed if the economy picks up, they wont be able to take on any new freight. This cost cutting decision is good for the short term, but is a horrible long term strategy.

The key words here are (NON CDL Equipment) How many bob-tails do we have running short line. I would guess none. So all this has nothing to do with anything. TP

Sorry only meant to copy the last paragragh

What Is the 16-Hour Short-Haul Exception?
If you usually come back to your work-reporting location and go home at the end of your workday,
you might be able to use the 16-hour short-haul exception. This exception allows you to extend the 14-consecutive-hour duty period once every 7 consecutive days. In order to use this exception, you must do the following:

You must return to your work reporting location that day, as well as for your last 5 duty tours. A duty tour is the period of time from when you come to work to when you leave work. It is your “workday,” the time between your off-duty periods of at least 10 consecutive hours.

You must be released from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty.

You must only use this exception once every 7 consecutive days (unless you took 34 consecutive
hours off to restart a 7/8-day period).
You may not use this exception if you qualify for the “Non-CDL Short Haul Exception” explained earlier.
This regulation is found in Section 395.1(o).

Your right about the 14 hour extension. I just read the first few paragraphs and was wondering what point you were trying to make. TP

Your right about the 14 hour extension. I just read the first few paragraphs and was wondering what point you were trying to make. TP

Every once in awhile I do have a point, just don't always get right to it. The other poster there at the top (fedestes) had me nervous for a moment, thought I was going to get a letter for violating the HOS regs. this past week.