Yellow | Yrcw National Contract 2019-2024

UPS Freight lost their leverage when Hoffa ratified the Package contract. It's easy for you to talk about pensions when you are already retired collecting a pension from a Local fund that is fully funded not in danger of going kaput mainly because UPS package and UPS Freight still contributes. Local told me I will only get $7 dollars a year at 25% contribution 2009 rate so what is the point of my contribution going into the fund when I will only get $216 dollars a month after 30yrs newer guys like me should have option of contribution going into a 401k or IRA. So what are they going to do when Central States goes bankrupt and Locals that have their own funds fully funded still want contributions?
You should ensure your comments are factual. UPS Freight does NOT now and NEVER has contributed to ANY MEPF.
"Should there be meaningful dialogue on what should be done with the revenue that otherwise ought to
be contributed MEPFs, of course. But rational thought would lead to the realization that, with the exception of a handful of MEPFs, any money contributed would be wasted. Due to the inescapable conclusion that most MEPFs are on the verge of collapse. And no amount of money from YRCW will prevent that."

Jealousy is very dangerous emotion, be careful with it. The brothers and sisters who preceded me and many other Teamsters enjoyed employment conditions that were, in some cases, better than those that me and my contemporaries had. I accepted that and did my best every day I worked. Were conditions better 50 years ago before my time, yes. Were conditions better 30 years ago when I started, yes. But you need to come to terms with the fact that when Carter signed Deregulation, that was the beginning of the long, slow decline of Teamster influence in the trucking industry. I DO feel fortunate to have been able to somewhat enjoy a career that you will never know. FYI, my pension benefit is about $500 a month less than it otherwise would have been. Due to YRC Freight curtailing pension contributions.

They threw a bone to the new guys with immediate full scale pay and they threw a bone to the old timers with an extra week vacation. This one is in the bag and everyone will vote for it. No question.
I agree “they threw a bone to the new guys” However the extra week vacation to the old timers is just giving back what they took.
They’ll get there yes vote like you said.
But not from this old timer.

If it passes, mark my words, they’ll come back within the 5 year period, and ask for a pay cut again. This just limps them down the road a bit, till they think it’s the right time to pull it. Good luck to all.

I agreed with everything you said, My guess is they’ll be back within 5 months.

Actually, they'll be merging Reddaway, Holland and New Penn into YRCF less than a month after the ink dries on the contract. Then, they'll cut at least 1/3rd of the terminals and the management out of the picture. Next move, eliminate a third of the rolling stock, power stock and dock staff. Next move, dump all regional companies headquarters. Then, toss out all the older power, rolling stock and regroup claiming to compete with the non-unions on time and price. Next move, continue to undercut non union companies on pricing. Can you say "swirling the drain"????

Actually, they'll be merging Reddaway, Holland and New Penn into YRCF less than a month after the ink dries on the contract. Then, they'll cut at least 1/3rd of the terminals and the management out of the picture. Next move, eliminate a third of the rolling stock, power stock and dock staff. Next move, dump all regional companies headquarters. Then, toss out all the older power, rolling stock and regroup claiming to compete with the non-unions on time and price. Next move, continue to undercut non union companies on pricing. Can you say "swirling the drain"????
I actually think, besides the last 2 sentences, that should have been done long before now. The problem is that YRCF never could figure out how to service 1 and 2 day lanes. That should have been taken care of 10 years ago.

I actually think, besides the last 2 sentences, that should have been done long before now. The problem is that YRCF never could figure out how to service 1 and 2 day lanes. That should have been taken care of 10 years ago.

You’d think they could’ve figured it out, we run a modified hub and spoke system at OD and manage to service next and second day lanes...

You should ensure your comments are factual. UPS Freight does NOT now and NEVER has contributed to ANY MEPF.
"Should there be meaningful dialogue on what should be done with the revenue that otherwise ought to
be contributed MEPFs, of course. But rational thought would lead to the realization that, with the exception of a handful of MEPFs, any money contributed would be wasted. Due to the inescapable conclusion that most MEPFs are on the verge of collapse. And no amount of money from YRCW will prevent that."

Jealousy is very dangerous emotion, be careful with it. The brothers and sisters who preceded me and many other Teamsters enjoyed employment conditions that were, in some cases, better than those that me and my contemporaries had. I accepted that and did my best every day I worked. Were conditions better 50 years ago before my time, yes. Were conditions better 30 years ago when I started, yes. But you need to come to terms with the fact that when Carter signed Deregulation, that was the beginning of the long, slow decline of Teamster influence in the trucking industry. I DO feel fortunate to have been able to somewhat enjoy a career that you will never know. FYI, my pension benefit is about $500 a month less than it otherwise would have been. Due to YRC Freight curtailing pension contributions.

True, deregulation also put a lot more unqualified, unsafe, drivers on today's roads.
At one time MOST, OOs and smaller truck line drivers were well trained and qualified, look around today, it's
not so much any more.

True, deregulation also put a lot more unqualified, unsafe, drivers on today's roads.
At one time MOST, OOs and smaller truck line drivers were well trained and qualified, look around today, it's
not so much any more.
Not really. There was no training in those days. Just hop in a truck and go. I taught myself how to back. First major road trip, I hopped in a truck and took off from York Pa to White River Junction Vt in a blizzard

not so much any more.

I second what Jimmy said. I started driving TT in 1966 with absolutely no training and no experience. I bluffed my way into the job with a little white lie - that I did have experience driving TT (I never did). "The good old days".

Not really. There was no training in those days. Just hop in a truck and go. I taught myself how to back. First major road trip, I hopped in a truck and took off from York Pa to White River Junction Vt in a blizzard
I second what Jimmy said. I started driving TT in 1966 with absolutely no training and no experience. I bluffed my way into the job with a little white lie - that I did have experience driving TT (I never did). "The good old days".

Chauffeur’s License at 18, drove straight truck til 21. Told the boss on my 21st birthday I wanted my test. White knuckled him, but I left from Missouri to Denver less than a week later in August. Didn’t get home till Thanksgiving. :17142:

Wow that must have sold you on your choice of careers.

:guiness:
It took you that long to get to Denver from Missouri? and back? Did you forget to shift?:guiness:
Have you ever driven across Kansas?

No matter which direction, there’s always a headwind!!

Denver to Miami, across 10 to LA, north to SF, across 84 to Chicago. Ended up in Bloomington, IN. Took a bus home for Turkey and back. Flew home from ATL for Christmas. Can’t remember when I finally got the truck home.

I worked the dock at Johnson Motor Lines in 1970, told the steward I wanted to drive. He told me to practice backing up on my lunch hour on a Friday night. Monday morning he said don't leave the safety man was going to give me my driving test. Tuesday morning I was doing a P&d route in Secaucus, N.J. You are so right Triplex they were the good old days, miss them and all the characters I met along the way.:6788: :smilie93c peelout: :tr10driving03: