Yellow | Yrcw National Contract 2019-2024

My neighbor had a B model Mack when I was 12 he asked for a hand changing the clutch, told me to get in the cab and hold the gear shift steady..............left out the part about he was dropping the trans down to the ground me and the trans went down, he told me "I said steady not hold it up............." It's been all downhill ever since.....................

When I was 11, Dad had a B42 Mack. Gas engine, duplex. Mack was in shop. Mack called and asked if this was Jim. I said Jimmy. They said the Mack needed transmission rebuilt. I said ok???? They rebuilt it. Dad (Jim) was totally Ticked!!!

First diesel I drove was a 66 White with a 220 Cummins laid in on an angle. Drove that after school and on weekends and in summer. After high school, moved to an International with a 238 DD, and a one stick 16 speed Spicer. Lost track of gears and had to start over on hills sometimes. Also discovered that Detroits will run backwards! Downhill, loaded- thank God there were no cars behind....

True, deregulation also put a lot more unqualified, unsafe, drivers on today's roads.
At one time MOST, OOs and smaller truck line drivers were well trained and qualified, look around today, it's
not so much any more.

Most I knew were well trained,by riding with kin folks or friends, had lots of hands on seat time and knew their way around.
I was one of the lucky ones, dad was friends with Jim and Ralph Ryder, most large truck lines wouldn't think
of hiring a 19 yr old to drive their trucks.
Like Elwood, I got my chauffeurs license the day I turned 18.
My first trip was an Anderson S. C. turn with another driver, after that, I was on my own.

I second what Jimmy said. I started driving TT in 1966 with absolutely no training and no experience. I bluffed my way into the job with a little white lie - that I did have experience driving TT (I never did). "The good old days".

You and Jimmy were a menace to the motoring public, most of my experience was bobtailing.

When I was 11, Dad had a B42 Mack. Gas engine, duplex. Mack was in shop. Mack called and asked if this was Jim. I said Jimmy. They said the Mack needed transmission rebuilt. I said ok???? They rebuilt it. Dad (Jim) was totally Ticked!!!

First diesel I drove was a 66 White with a 220 Cummins laid in on an angle. Drove that after school and on weekends and in summer. After high school, moved to an International with a 238 DD, and a one stick 16 speed Spicer. Lost track of gears and had to start over on hills sometimes. Also discovered that Detroits will run backwards! Downhill, loaded- thank God there were no cars behind....

After 35 yrs, I could still forget which gear a 13 spd was in, when we leased them at christmas.

10 speed spicer was attached to the 345 international gas straight trucks on which, I learned. Was so proud when I figgered out 4th high was after 5th low.

Have you ever driven across Kansas?

No matter which direction, there’s always a headwind!!

Denver to Miami, across 10 to LA, north to SF, across 84 to Chicago. Ended up in Bloomington, IN. Took a bus home for Turkey and back. Flew home from ATL for Christmas. Can’t remember when I finally got the truck home.

That was always my excuse when I was late, "been bucking a headwind"

13 speed, best tranny ever. My 85 Pete CoE, 430 Detroit, Marine injectors, 3.70 rears. Scary fast.

No,no, no, 9spd long nose Freight shaker, set back front axle, single axle, very boring slow 62mph, 3406 Cat.

My boss let me know, first day. Coffin have 6 sides. Caskets have 4. I haul caskets. Not allowed to forget that.

I'm in the dry box division. Bodies need Reefers. People are Dying for me to work!!!

You know I finally found out the difference between caskets and coffins just a couple of months ago. Proves you can teach an old dog a new trick!

Actually, they'll be merging Reddaway, Holland and New Penn into YRCF less than a month after the ink dries on the contract. Then, they'll cut at least 1/3rd of the terminals and the management out of the picture. Next move, eliminate a third of the rolling stock, power stock and dock staff. Next move, dump all regional companies headquarters. Then, toss out all the older power, rolling stock and regroup claiming to compete with the non-unions on time and price. Next move, continue to undercut non union companies on pricing. Can you say "swirling the drain"????
Inside information? Kinda spooky that you ‘know’ so much.