ABF | 10 hour rule

bad slavin

TB Lurker
Credits
I just had a go around with the T.M. I was over 10 hours and i was going home. He wanted to know, where in the contract it says 10 hrs. and go home? I believe it is agreed upon that a reasonable amount of O.T. was unwritten as 2 hrs. over your eight. I came from 13 yrs at the Big R and they never argued 10 hrs. I know the economy is bad and not every area is doing good, however i like to work to live , i don't live to work. If other guys want to stay here 14 hrs. a day, that does not mean i should also have to. If these guys would go home it would force the T.M. to hire. Call me crazy but maybe i could go home and eat dinner with my family or see my kids soccer game. Does anyone else agree or should i take it while it's their? Don't we have a contract to protect us from this kind of abuse??

I just had a go around with the T.M. I was over 10 hours and i was going home. He wanted to know, where in the contract it says 10 hrs. and go home? I believe it is agreed upon that a reasonable amount of O.T. was unwritten as 2 hrs. over your eight. I came from 13 yrs at the Big R and they never argued 10 hrs. I know the economy is bad and not every area is doing good, however i like to work to live , i don't live to work. If other guys want to stay here 14 hrs. a day, that does not mean i should also have to. If these guys would go home it would force the T.M. to hire. Call me crazy but maybe i could go home and eat dinner with my family or see my kids soccer game. Does anyone else agree or should i take it while it's their? Don't we have a contract to protect us from this kind of abuse??

I don't know about the Central Region Supplement, but the Southern Region Supplement plainly states in Article 55, Section 1. that the employer can force you to stay for overtime up to three hours.

Thanks. I'll get a call into the B.A. this morning and clarify what the rules are. They need to hire here but won't as long as everyone is staying. We don't want to see any service failures, but we also need home time.

Thanks. I'll get a call into the B.A. this morning and clarify what the rules are. They need to hire here but won't as long as everyone is staying. We don't want to see any service failures, but we also need home time.

I definately agree with what you are saying. Here in Little Rock we have 19 laidoff on the city/dock board. The company keeps offering overtime three or four days a week and we have several people that will work it willingly even though a brother is only going to get two or three days in because he is laidoff. How's that for looking out for your fellow Teamster. :nutkick:

That's a shame Steward.Is it greed?? Look how big my paycheck is this week !! Do they know guys are sitting home ?? Shame, shame , shame

That's a shame Steward.Is it greed?? Look how big my paycheck is this week !! Do they know guys are sitting home ?? Shame, shame , shame

It is a shame for sure. And yes the greedy one's working it know that the laidoff guy's will only get offered work on Friday and Saturday and maybe one other day for the week if they are lucky. Although some of the ones that were working the overtime just got laidoff this past week and now get to see first hand how it feels to get a short check while someone else is getting 10 to 15 hours of overtime. I need the overtime as much as the next guy with my wife no longer working, but I refuse to take money from one of my brothers just to improve my situation. In my opinion, no man has any business getting a second piece of pie until everyone has had their first piece.

one statement to consider

ABF's strategy seems to be "do more with less"
refer to my earlier posts as i have stated the where's and why's many times:1036316054:

Thanks big steve. You are sure right , not enough equipment or manpower,if you can't service the customer,well they will go elsewhere, and the guys we have ,well they will stay 'till the work is done.My shop steward said there is a 10 hr. rule when you are at the dock, i will give the article number when i get it. Have'nt seen the T.M. yet , i'm sure he will not make eye contact 'cause he already knows about the 10 hr. rule. I wish the guys would enact it . Too many "sweet deals" going on , i guess. Don't want to spoil a good deal , you might make management mad at you.

Hey bad slavin,check with local 600 St Louis,a greivance was won at holland on forced past 10,and men went home at 10 hrs.we have also won this at yfs . they can force you only if they notify you 2 hours b/4 the end of your shift.
Read the close out requirements in the contract,at our barn the last 2 shifts are clean-up shifts. Hopes this helps. Good Luck from an old yellow driver.

All you guys have to do is the math....the overtime in the nmfa is basically is 50 hrs per guy a week .....10 active people 50 hrs per person =500 hrs...if they go over that they have to call someone back for the following week....hope this helps...

All you guys have to do is the math....the overtime in the nmfa is basically is 50 hrs per guy a week .....10 active people 50 hrs per person =500 hrs...if they go over that they have to call someone back for the following week....hope this helps...

Not to prove you wrong or anything, but a 10 man board would have to work 550 hours to get one man back on fulltime. Once the 25% rule is reached (10-Men x 40-hours plus 10 hours per man O/T or 500-hours) then for every 50 hours over that number the employer is required to bring back one additional employee from layoff status. So a 10-man board would have to average out to 55-hours per week per man to get one man back on and 60-hours per week to get two back on.

Hey bad slavin,check with local 600 St Louis,a greivance was won at holland on forced past 10,and men went home at 10 hrs.we have also won this at yfs . they can force you only if they notify you 2 hours b/4 the end of your shift.
Read the close out requirements in the contract,at our barn the last 2 shifts are clean-up shifts. Hopes this helps. Good Luck from an old yellow driver.

Thanks racecat, I called the B.A. ,he said , if i heard it right Article 58 section 2 (work rules) The B.A. said not to worry about going on my 10, not much the T.M. can do. Since that time , 2 casuals have been put on. I think they were in the works b-4 i pushed the 10 hr. rule. I want to thank all you guys that helped me with this problem, the trucking boards are a friend to the working man!!