FedEx Freight | 10 Hour Rule

You can't do anything work related during your 10 hour off duty period. A DOT officer once told me that the moment you do anything related to the load or vehicle, you are considered on duty. Period. No ands, no ifs, no buts. The only exception, which doesn't apply here, is if you are in the sleeper.

Technically speaking, you can't even take your half hour lunch in the cab because being in either seat constitutes being on duty in some way, and a DOT officer CAN fine you if you're seen on your mandatory break inside the cab.

Personally, my advice is this: don't even set foot on company property before your mandatory off duty time is up. Officially, FedEx believes that you should be counted as on duty from the moment you arrive for work, and that's what you'll be told if you ask. Only team drivers get to avoid this because one driver is presumed to be going directly to the sleeper and is therefore not doing anything work related. Since FXFE doesn't have teams, that's irrelevant, but it may be relevant to other drivers.

Yes you can log that time off duty, still counts towards your 14, what you cannot do is a pre/ post trip inspection off duty, which was the question.
Yes, I realize what the question was, but there were also comments made in this thread that says ALL paid time must be on duty , and that's simply not the case....It was also mentioned that all time behind the steering wheel, even in a rest area must be logged has driving time and that also is a false statement. I just thought this link may clear a few things up is all.

Yes, I realize what the question was, but there were also comments made in this thread that says ALL paid time must be on duty , and that's simply not the case....It was also mentioned that all time behind the steering wheel, even in a rest area must be logged has driving time and that also is a false statement. I just thought this link may clear a few things up is all.
I appreciate all the answers and responses...Basically stay home until your ten hours...

Yes but it's fed ex policy that all paid time must be on duty.

Some City driver guys in Charlotte come in over an hour before their scheduled bid; go pretrip their tractors, drive them up to the center, hook to their trailer, go up on the dock and retrieve a pallet jack, check and strap their loads etc. They willingly do all of this off the clock in order to cut down on their yard time. When they punch in, they're out the gate in just five minutes afterwards. They work over thirty minutes off the clock, unpaid. First off, I find it absurd they're willing to work for free; but most importantly, they're opening themselves up to a lawsuit and losing their jobs. If they have an accident or injury off the clock, they'll be fired without question. Second, if they have an accident on the street, and a savy lawyer shows them on the intermec, and or clock with less than 15 minutes on duty, they're in violation of the law. That incriminates them in court. I can hear it now: "well your Honor, if driver x had done a required pretrip that morning, he wouldn't have been at said point to hit my client causing injury." These "company men" will be heartbroken to find out the mega corporation won't stand behind them.

Another favorite is dropping their trailers and parking the tractor in the evening after punching out. They're working several hours a week off the clock.